• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Soldato
Alternative but extreme sollution is Close the bank account and open new on asap. Ebay will hit a brick wall with a charge back. If paypal then u out of luck as they send bailifs.

PayPal don't send bailiffs, only the high court has the power to do that. They might send debt collectors, but they have nowhere near the same legal power. In order to send actual bailiffs, PayPal would have to prove you owe them the money, which they can't do, since it was their decision to refund the buyer, not yours.

Caporegime
Well it could all be put down to common sense, but unlike eBay etc, you are advertising high value items and giving potential thieves your address, and welcoming them into your home.

Let me know how you get on with that common sense. Clearly you don’t have any if you’re willing to do that!

You have complete control over who gets what information when using Gumtree, it is absolutely down to you. Hence the application of common sense comment. eBay takes that power away.

But since you took it in another direction, imagine how people survived in the days of The Friday Ad... Or selling stuff in the local paper... Also I'm guessing you've never sold a car privately?

Not to mention the fact that you can set items to collection on eBay as well, and things like Facebook Marketplace are almost entirely collection only.

Last edited:
Associate
PayPal would have to prove you owe them the money, which they can't do, since it was their decision to refund the buyer, not yours.
When someone creates a PayPal account it is their decision to accept the terms and conditions, agreeing to use their dispute resolution process, and therefore agreeing to refund buyers if the decision goes against them.

Soldato
If true u lived a hour and a half away, might have been a idea to just have not posted it and drove it to his. 1. it probs cost the same in petrol that it did to post it special delivery etc. 2. You coulda said ill wait while u install it, i dont want to be accused of selling faulty cards. Then as you see it run a game ok then u can just get the money off him and be off home.

Ideal, probs not, but considering the value of the item, maybe worth doing that if it wasnt too far for u to go in the car?

In future, also state in ur listing, the psu requirements for said gpu that way ur covered incase they tried it in a weak psu. If it "blew" something then u have the listing to say well its his fault i told him what psu it needed etc.

Soldato
When someone creates a PayPal account it is their decision to accept the terms and conditions, agreeing to use their dispute resolution process, and therefore agreeing to refund buyers if the decision goes against them.

That doesn't change the fact that PayPal don't have the power to send bailiffs unless they take you to court and win, and if I knew I was in the right, I'd fancy my chances a lot better with an actual impartial judge than a minimum wage customer service rep who is acting solely in the interests of their company.

Speaking of taking people to court, small claims is always an option if the buyer does end up with a refund and doesn't send back your card.

Caporegime
If true u lived a hour and a half away, might have been a idea to just have not posted it and drove it to his. 1. it probs cost the same in petrol that it did to post it special delivery etc. 2. You coulda said ill wait while u install it, i dont want to be accused of selling faulty cards. Then as you see it run a game ok then u can just get the money off him and be off home.

Ideal, probs not, but considering the value of the item, maybe worth doing that if it wasnt too far for u to go in the car?

In future, also state in ur listing, the psu requirements for said gpu that way ur covered incase they tried it in a weak psu. If it "blew" something then u have the listing to say well its his fault i told him what psu it needed etc.

Hindsight is wonderful. In reality nobody would do that, ever.

Soldato
A lot of people are jumping on scam but there is a chance the buyer did indeed just mess up. Worst will happen in that case is that the OP will get his working GPU back and even if broken just claim under warranty.

Soldato
Well it could all be put down to common sense, but unlike eBay etc, you are advertising high value items and giving potential thieves your address, and welcoming them into your home.

Let me know how you get on with that common sense. Clearly you don’t have any if you’re willing to do that!

eBay give people your address too, I've sold dozens of items on gumtree and never had a problem, gumtree don't give out your address either, you have to choose to do that once you have a deal worked out with someone, eBay give out your address without even asking you

Associate
A lot of people are jumping on scam but there is a chance the buyer did indeed just mess up. Worst will happen in that case is that the OP will get his working GPU back and even if broken just claim under warranty.

Same here, when I read the OP my first thoughts were PSU failed. Could be wrong and it could be a scam but I would give it a bit of time and see if you can resolve it with the buyer.

Soldato
“when using gumtree it’s down to you, hence the application of common sense”

Gone are the days when scammers and robbers advertise themselves wearing striped tops, masks and using swag bags. They aren’t exactly going to give the game away are they?

The Friday ad? So nobody was ever robbed in those days? Come on!

Selling a car privately? Have you been living under a rock for the last 20 years? It’s the reason the majority of sensible people would rather sell to a well known garage rather than take the risk and sell privately. A car with any worth anyway.

It must be very nice where you live I must say, but in the real world, gumtree especially is a scammers paradise.
I've probably owned and sold about 15 cars in my lifetime, all private sale, all no issue and would continue to do so..

Also continue to buy/sell via the likes of FB marketplace, whether that be me going to their property or them coming to mine, again no issue. Whilst they might not be dressed as robbers, you can generally get an inkling of an idiot/scammer vs a genuine private sale.

I sold a 3070 on my doorstep to a miner, we were stood talking crypto for about half an hour! Whilst I know you can get issues with all forms of sale, a bit of good judgement can go a long way.

Does the OP have any update to this? Intrigued to know what has gone on since!

Caporegime
“when using gumtree it’s down to you, hence the application of common sense”

Gone are the days when scammers and robbers advertise themselves wearing striped tops, masks and using swag bags. They aren’t exactly going to give the game away are they?

The Friday ad? So nobody was ever robbed in those days? Come on!

Selling a car privately? Have you been living under a rock for the last 20 years? It’s the reason the majority of sensible people would rather sell to a well known garage rather than take the risk and sell privately. A car with any worth anyway.

It must be very nice where you live I must say, but in the real world, gumtree especially is a scammers paradise.

What a load of paranoid tosh. Like I said, common sense (and as another poster pointed out, good judgement) go a long way.

I'm sorry your handbag got stolen by a Gumtree scammer, why don't you buy yourself a new one so you can beat me with it. :p

I’ve done exactly that on every graphics card I have sold.

Sorry, I meant no normal person with other stuff to do. :D

That's a good plan until they say yes.

Thats true... But you could take a load of your "IT professional" mates along with you.

Last edited:
Associate
Watching the thread also; can't wait to see what happens!

PS: I sold a GFX in eBay 4 weeks ago for £310 and all good so far. I paid for the most expensive delivery with up to 500 insurance, I recorded serial numbers and posted them (incomplete) in the advert and I stated only UK buyers with 3+ positive transactions. The buyer haven't left feedback or acknowledged receiving the car yet but hopefully he just been lazy.

Back
Top Bottom