• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Associate
This sounds like a nightmare, possible scam. Only read the 1st page but if he's saying he's got a pro calling round after the fact then the buyer had no business opening the pc up to fit it.

Associate
Don’t let it go to a payment dispute, they’ll win and you can’t do anything worth while to dispute it.

I would get eBay involved ASAP, then offer refund on return of the item but actual send the offer. I got stung recently by offering refund via eBay messages but never sending it through their actual refunds. They then opened a payment dispute for 15% and after I submitted my response upped it to 100%, won and never returned item…

Associate
After getting my 3080ti last week, tonight I've just listed my GTX780 on ebay having earlier seen one go for £87. Having read this post I've just taken the listing down. I'd rather get the £42 CEX will give me for it than get scammed on ebay. I've been buying and selling for nigh on 20 years and never had a negative or any issue but horror stories like this give me the willies!

I hope it turns out alright for you bud.

Soldato
When selling expensive items on eBay always set customise your buyer options. Set their approval rating to be 100% and you can even set that they have more than X transactions. If you are allowing bidders always check their last transaction for both buying and selling. If you take these steps you reduce the risk of being scammed considerably.

Also never send something expensive using cheap postage, why would you cheap out on the insurance just to save a few quid? And taking pictures of your item will give you no actual benefit because eBay simply ignore those I find.

By far the biggest rule to remember that eBay almost always agree with the buyer. I have even had eBay side with a buyer who left a good rating and feedback yet still asked for a refund 3 weeks later. Oh and remember the "no returns accepted" option means nothing.

Having said that I have been scammed more times by sellers than buyers, so I am thankful for the protections eBay allow. I have only had issues as a seller a few times out of the scores of things I have sold.

Caporegime
Wow, it shows how long it's been since I sold on eBay. :)
Damn I was really hoping you were going to call me an idiot and show me where it is :(

But yeah they sadly removed that... I would love to have it back... People signing up to eBay the same day your listing ends, placing one bid, and then disappearing off the face of the earth, effectively trashing your auction, are scum. :(

Associate
I read this and just cancelled my auction for my 6700 XT. It has just become a cess pool.

okay, my decision now is either to gift it to my son or build a second gaming PC for my daughter to use.

Associate
Damn I was really hoping you were going to call me an idiot and show me where it is :(

But yeah they sadly removed that... I would love to have it back... People signing up to eBay the same day your listing ends, placing one bid, and then disappearing off the face of the earth, effectively trashing your auction, are scum. :(

I think some people do it to those they consider might be scalpers, but 2 actions which could be considered questionable don't make it right

Soldato
I got scammed on Ebay when I sold some game codes that I'd got with a new CPU. Turns out the buyer's account had been hacked, so it doesn't matter if the buyer has good feedback, and a good transaction record. Ebay and Paypal sided with the buyer and I lost the codes and the money.

I'll not be selling anything valuable on ebay again.

Caporegime
Well it could all be put down to common sense, but unlike eBay etc, you are advertising high value items and giving potential thieves your address, and welcoming them into your home.

Let me know how you get on with that common sense. Clearly you don’t have any if you’re willing to do that!

Lolwut?

You think thieves scout out homes using gumtree by buying expensive GPU's?

Permabanned
Provided that you have your ebay account set to no returns then he has to prove that your card blew up his PC rather than the other way round, and the key here is the "expert". ebay will not accept the word of the buyer over the seller but will accept the word of an "expert". It depends who the expert is.
He would have done a lot better had he said that the card simply didn't work, which actually makes me think that perhaps his PC did blow up. My guess here is his power supply. So I would argue that he plugged it in to an "inappropriate PC" and hope the expert doesn't come down on his side. Whenever you communicate with ebay say that whatever you you are saying was told to you by the manufacturers support team. That counts a lot.

Back
Top Bottom