*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
I am hovering around 7/10 now the initial new/cool factor is wearing off. I am getting a bit bored its all quite samey., magic(so far) is a bit boring, combat is nothing to write home about, the skills/levelling is extremely dry. Nowhere near a 10/10.

Elex 2 is gonna be better :)

Soldato
I had no doubts in my mind that this game would be divisive. Every "10/10" always generates controversy so it was obvious there would be a flood of "it's nothing special, x is more fun/better" etc. and Dark Souls is marmite anyways.

I like Souls but Bloodborne and especially Sekiro have have far better combat and BB also has way better lore. However, there's so much to discover in ER in terms of builds, secrets and lore that I wouldn't write it off as nothing special just yet.

See, as above people who have never played Souls extensively are already making predictons that "x" is gonna be better having never even tried ER, that's just the way it is:p

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah tbh I wish they would all drop review scores like x/10, x/100 and just have a simpler 3 or 4 score system. Skip, Maybe, Recommended or something

Soldato
Must say, the more I play this (and thus get better at the combat) the more I like it

Pretty normal for a Souls title, they click once you get good and become very rewarding. Espcially if you discover stuff along the way and try different things. Ds3 was a bit too easy but still felt decently rewarding.

I bet you'd love Sekiro if you tried it but it might feel brutal in the beginning depending on what you're used to. It's completely parry/posture based but the windows are more generous. Faster combat with no stamina management and a bit more reactionary. Stealth is also there.

Associate
Must admit looking at all the 10/10 scores this has got - I am not seeing it - even putting aside the chronic performance issues and the sub std graphics.

7 or 8/10 at most.

Man of Honour
Pretty normal for a Souls title, they click once you get good and become very rewarding. Espcially if you discover stuff along the way and try different things. Ds3 was a bit too easy but still felt decently rewarding.

I bet you'd love Sekiro if you tried it but it might feel brutal in the beginning depending on what you're used to. It's completely parry/posture based but the windows are more generous.

Yeah I should give Sekiro a shot too, I did play the other dark souls titles but just never clicked with them and maybe its the pseudo-MMO-esque nature of Elden Rings open world aspect which is helping me in that regard here. Always liked the aesthetics of Sekiro from what I've seen of it though. Perhaps if I can find it cheap I'll pick it up after Elden Ring

Soldato
Yeah I should give Sekiro a shot too, I did play the other dark souls titles but just never clicked with them and maybe its the pseudo-MMO-esque nature of Elden Rings open world aspect which is helping me in that regard here. Always liked the aesthetics of Sekiro from what I've seen of it though. Perhaps if I can find it cheap I'll pick it up after Elden Ring

You'll feel a big difference in terms of combat and style of the game. It still echoes souls when it comes to gameplay mechanics, cryptic lore etc. but you're way more nimble, swordfights are just ferocious, there are deathblows from above, posture breaks, mikiri counters, sparks flying everywhere and the lot. Especially the final boss is a spectacle to behold.

Also, the protagonist actually speaks and the story is more clearly outlined, even though it traditionally requires you to connect the dots yourself.

Do mind that the game is also on the harder side compared to most stuff and even people coming from Souls were getting smoked initially because it requires a different approach. "Hesitation is defeat":D

I'd say the game is even worth close to full price, which is something I rarely think. Got four playthroughs/ endings for Platinum and around 65-70h of gameplay.

The 3h of ER I managed to play remind me of BotW with better exploration, combat and lore. Enjoying it but I have to wait for fixes and probably upgrade my CPU unfortunately. Not really happy about it but well, I asked for it buying a day before release. Definitely not liking it more than Sekiro/BB yet.

Can someone explain something to me.

I approach a camp, slowly kill all the enemies, using every potion I have to clear out the camp. I need health as I'm low, and potions, so go rest at the grace that was right at the start of the camp, and now every single enemy is back. So I have to go through, slowly kill all the enemies, use my potions again, rest to get them back, and once again, everything is back.

Where's the fun/point?

Man of Honour

I approach a camp, slowly kill all the enemies, using every potion I have to clear out the camp. I need health as I'm low, and potions, so go rest at the grace that was right at the start of the camp, and now every single enemy is back. So I have to go through, slowly kill all the enemies, use my potions again, rest to get them back, and once again, everything is back.

Where's the fun/point?

Not really any different to farming a camp in an MMO really though. Only difference is that the camp mobs respawn automatically in an MMO.

However if you kill everything in a group of mobs that refills some of your flasks anyway, also there are mobs (like the little red ball things) which top up your flasks, so there are other ways to top your flasks up without needing to rest

Man of Honour
There is no point, it's a 10/10 - 100/100 perfect game. It puts The Witcher and Horizon Dawn in its place!

Thats why I have never , and will never, give a game 10/10 , because on my scale thats a perfect game and theres never been a perfect game and never will be. Even games which I consider to be near perfect, like Alien Isolation, Dark Age of Camelot and Metro Exodus, I would give a 9/10 rather than a 10 :)

Permabanned

Where's the fun/point?

It makes the game extra tedious for "reasons" but I guess it allows farming.

It makes the game extra tedious for "reasons" but I guess it allows farming.
It's frustrating as I do enjoy the killing and wiping out a whole camp, but as soon as I go to heal and refresh, they are back. I don't even leave the area. Just 5 seconds walk outside the camp.

At least zelda has it every blood moon, then monsters respawn.

Makes you feel like you may as well just run through dodging the enemies to get passed them.

Associate
Meh, found a sorcery teacher, bought some spells, they are worse than the starting spell :rolleyes:

This is my main issue thus far. I started as an Astrologer and I'm now lvl 35 with 32 Intelligence ; my best spell, by far, is still the starter spell Glintstone Pebble. Something is broken with higher tier spells ... they just don't scale up damage wise. Why would I cast them when they cost twice as much FP, take twice as long to cast and do a quarter of the damage ? Because of this, there isn't really a sense of progression playing a sorceror ( that said, I understand Prophet/faith/incantations fare much better ). In contrast, I've picked up plenty of cool gear, weapons etc for melee characters. Perhaps I should reroll ....

Associate
It's frustrating as I do enjoy the killing and wiping out a whole camp, but as soon as I go to heal and refresh, they are back. I don't even leave the area. Just 5 seconds walk outside the camp.

At least zelda has it every blood moon, then monsters respawn.

Makes you feel like you may as well just run through dodging the enemies to get passed them.

All the Dark Souls games have this mechanic, whereby standard monsters respawn if you rest up at a campfire / lost grace site. Only difference this time round is if you kill all the mobs in the area eg. guards at a camp then your flasks get refilled. The fact yours didn't suggests you missed one or two enemies without realising it.

Soldato
I'm just in stormveil, killed Margit a bit early I think as I have only done one other dungeon. I'm going to explore Limgrave a bit more I think.

Absolutely loving it as I knew I would. Can't think of anything I don't like about it so far tbh. Maybe I had hoped From would improve their story telling but that was never going to happen

Back
Top Bottom