*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
I have never checked for any further release info about a game expansion before! can't come soon enough, I hope that the rumours of a shadow drop in feb are true, however I can't see it.

Side note, is it only me that found the tree sentinels to be some of the biggest pains in the game? I had to just skip the one outside maliketh in the end

I rarely buy DLC as I've usually moved on when it eventually comes out. However, Elden Ring is a special game and thus an exception.

Associate
I have never checked for any further release info about a game expansion before! can't come soon enough, I hope that the rumours of a shadow drop in feb are true, however I can't see it.

Side note, is it only me that found the tree sentinels to be some of the biggest pains in the game? I had to just skip the one outside maliketh in the end
they are! I missed out the one before Maliketh too, I tried and tried but in the end I decided it just wasn't worth it - they only drop rubbish anyway. The fightin cowboy youtube guy is hilarious and respect for him - the guy can dodge, but alas I think my skill cap is much lower.
I can't kill malenia (I'm almost out of larval tears from the respecs) and although I have now finally killed radagon and the tele tubby it must have taken literally 130 attempts.

Really enjoyed the game though and roll on shadow of the erdtree dlc :)

Associate
I'm enjoying wading through the environment but the combat or something isn't clicking. I tried various classes based on what sounded cool (dual wield sword guy on cloth, glass cannon?) and kept eating dirt to what seemed to be trash mobs. Switched to a warrior (knight?) with plate armour and a shield but dodge seemed ineffective. Still got pummled with the shield up, so looted a bigger shield with better stats and still losing health with shield up, so shields don't do what I think they should?
Got frustrated witj not understanding what I was doinng so tried following a youtubers guide for what to look for in the starting area and felt even more overwhelmed.
Am I missing something, or is the whole shtick is to rub your face against the skill cliff until get gud & win? I really want to like this game but everytime I fire it up I feel like an idiot and gaming has left me behind

Last edited:
Associate
The trick is to watch you enemies patterns and time your dodge or block, also make sure you aren’t over burdened otherwise you fat roll, i.e slow stumble. The game starts off brutal so you want to build up some vitality with your early levels and then looks at what stats you need for certain weapons.

Elden Ring is a brilliant game, but yes it can be tough to get in to but once you do it starts to get a little easier and then the game reminds you not to get to cocky.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm enjoying wading through the environment but the combat or something isn't clicking. I tried various classes based on what sounded cool (dual wield sword guy on cloth, glass cannon?) and kept eating dirt to what seemed to be trash mobs. Switched to a warrior (knight?) with plate armour and a shield but dodge seemed ineffective. Still got pummled with the shield up, so looted a bigger shield with better stats and still losing health with shield up, so shields don't do what I think they should?
Got frustrated witj not understanding what I was doinng so tried following a youtubers guide for what to look for in the starting area and felt even more overwhelmed.
Am I missing something, or is the whole shtick is to rub your face against the skill cliff until get gud & win? I really want to like this game but everytime I fire it up I feel like an idiot and gaming has left me behind

My experience is if you’ve done the starter dungeon you’ve essentially done the whole game. The gameplay and formula never changes but that suits some people.

Combat is good and as a noob you should stick with the Lordswarn’s greatsword at first. Heavier weapons can stun lock enemies which makes combat easier. This greatsword will see you through the early game well, but get smithing stones to upgrade it. Alternatively look for the Claymore in castle Morne down in Weeping Peninsula. You can get it without having to kill a single enemy. It has an in built ash of war called Lions Claw that pulverises heavy armour guys like Crucible Knights. Just spam it and when you break their poise, ignore the urge to keep hitting, use the time to take flasks to restore health and or FP.

Above all upgrade your weapon of choice at the smithing table, or in Roundtable Hold. Also seek out golden seeds to upgrade flask numbers and sacred tears to upgrade the amount of health/FP they restore. There are a few such upgrades in Limgrave and Weeping peninsula.

Strangely I have beaten the game about 4 times now but if someone asks me to score it, I say 6 or 7 out of 10. The combat is what saves it for me because the story, the grind, the mediocre graphics and the copy paste dungeons and bosses hold it back from true greatness IMHO.

Soldato
Still got pummled with the shield up, so looted a bigger shield with better stats and still losing health with shield up, so shields don't do what I think they should?
Shields have different stats for damage negation for physical and magical attacks (and varies depending on the type of magic). some will block 100% of physical damage as long as you have stamina you will take no damage and some will block slightly less.

Some physical attacks can be imbued with magic so your shield may be blocking all the physical damage but you are still taking magic damage if your shield can’t block it.

Switched to a warrior (knight?) with plate armour and a shield but dodge seemed ineffective.
You might have been fat rolling. If you carry to much weight you will become encumbered and fat roll.

Associate
Shields have different stats for damage negation for physical and magical attacks (and varies depending on the type of magic). some will block 100% of physical damage as long as you have stamina you will take no damage and some will block slightly less.

Some physical attacks can be imbued with magic so your shield may be blocking all the physical damage but you are still taking magic damage if your shield can’t block it.

You might have been fat rolling. If you carry to much weight you will become encumbered and fat roll.
Thanks, that makes sense.
So in the early game is it a normal part of the gameplay loop to be constantly needing to return to a site of grace to rest up after most fights? I've been pumping HP each level to improve my survival rate, but will also need to improve endurance as well for better rolling?

Soldato
Thanks, that makes sense.
I've been pumping HP each level to improve my survival rate, but will also need to improve endurance as well for better rolling?
That is a complicated balance I cannot advice you on it, since it depends on your playstyle.

Be aware, the more levels you pump into HP or endurance, the less levels you are putting into physical damage, which means the longer it takes for you to kill an enemy and potentially the more damage you will take. The question you need to ask is, do you want to kill quickly or survive longer. Personally I went for the kill quickly root. So my main attack stats are always higher than my health level by a good margin. If you go back a page and see what Del707 did, you can see his int is at 95 and vigor is 50.

So in the early game is it a normal part of the gameplay loop to be constantly needing to return to a site of grace to rest up after most fights?
Assuming you are clearing out the enemies in the area and have looted it, I would say yes it is normal. Especially if you haven't increased the quantity of healing flasks.

Reading your previous comment again, you said you are just wondering through the enviroment, so I'm assuming you haven't done any dungeons yet. Just exploring the open world. Are you still within limgrave or have you accidentally wondered into Caelid (Lots of red in the enviroment and big angry dogs. It is to the east), Because in the early game caelid is hard. You can go there but you need top level skills to survive in the early game.

Have you managed to complete any dungeons?

In terms of exploring you could be coming up to enemy encampments with valuable loot being guarded (there are quite a few of these scattered around). As long as you can clear them out you are doing well.

You can come across mini-bosses in the open world. They don't have the health bar at the bottom but they can take a lot of damage and deal a lot of damage. Usually they are physically quite big (I think always larger than your character).

The only enemy in the limgrave environment I would class as actual trash mobs are the pheasants (who either attack bare handed or with a fire stick) and the baby crabs (who usually have a giant crab nearby and they are a menance). Even then getting surronded by the pheasants is a fast track to a bad time; a mistake I have made too many times. You can just run past on your horse if you don't want to deal with them.

Soldato
Leaker on billibilli claims:

* trailer is over 3 mins long, contains in engine gameplay

* and expansion launches June 21

* Along with the expansion will be new GOTY physical editions of the game:

• Elden Ring: Shadow of The Erdtree (DLC included) – Goty edition (Game of the Year): 79.99 euros (available on PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X)
  • Elden Ring: Shadow of The Erdtree (DLC included) – Collector's Edition: 259.99 euros (physical copy available on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X)

Associate
Less than an hour, already 200k people in the YouTube chat waiting. Hopefully the 21st June date is right, as much as I want it asap I also just redeemed a 6 month Game Pass and want to complete a few games on GP before Elden Ring starts taking up all my gaming time again :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom