*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
I've been following a step by step guide on a Int "Wizard" build, which has been really fun.

I'm coming towards the end of the game and I raring to start a faith/arcane caster build so I can try out some of these dragon spells and incantations.
I'm planing on using the "Dragon Knight" build, here.

Probably put more focus on FP, since I want to be more of a caster.

I'm looking for some sort of progression guide to help me out.
My 1st playthrough was an absolute mess, with me having to look at the wiki whenever I got stuck.
My 2nd playthrough, the "Wizard". Used very long youtube playlist, that held my hand the entire time, showing me hidden loot and and entire zones I missed out.
For this playthrough I'm looking for a more, compact guide, just telling me dungeons/npc's to hit and in which order. I've noticed the guide on the wiki, is it a good guide to use?
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

At the start, which is the best class to choose?
Are there any weapons/armour that I should be heading out to get as soon as I can?

Greatly appreciate any help.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
Finally finished my 2nd playthrough, following a guide.

oKS2ipn.jpg

My love for the game definitely grew.
Sekiro would still have to be my favourite Fromsoftware game, but Elden Ring would have to be a close 2nd. The options and replayability of this game are fantastic.

Onto my faith/arcane playthrough now. :)

Soldato
Went back to this recently after stopping a playthrough on my old system as I didn't have the time for it either.

110 currently with a heavy grave scythe build and bloodflame with stormcaller then mimic. Gear is more fashion souls as I'm using white mask.

Got some of the lower right upper region to finish off, shaded castle I think it's called then all the capital and underground. Also not fully been to area I got the white mask from as I was too low for it initially.

Followed a build guide, then looked up various things quest related.

Finished all ds games and bb but didn't enjoy sekiro at all due to the art style and theme so stopped.

Game is excellent generally as per the reviews but it does have some flaws next to their other games for me. The flaws don't really apply if you take it as a standalone game though. It isn't ds, bb or sekiro.

* Horse combat is passable but it's weak compared to normal combat. It's inherently clumsy due to being on a horse with a restricted turning circle but is made to feel worse because of how good the system is off the horse. Attacking from either side of the horse doesn't help remedy this. Fighting on the horse against mounted bosses is almost comically bad at times.

* Some of the field mini bosses are over tuned and far more challenging than other true bosses, quite a number of the catacombs ones etc. This just doesn't feel right. The two that bother me are the large bears and abductor virgins.

* The spirit summons make the game far easier than the other souls games/bb. So much so, if you use a good one that's upgraded and your build is ok, you don't even need to learn the mechanics or timings at all. I personally don't mind this given the scale of the game, but the satisfaction goes and it's a different experience. Some bosses feel fine with them, others not at all. The balance between them is also off despite fp cost. Perhaps I just shouldn't use mimic although being aware of it, I actually found it by default. Did use wolves mainly beforehand.

* Possibly the main issue - if you like to explore, the game world is just too large with too much content to suit the levelling system they have in place. It's too easy to become over leveled and too strong for the bosses you face. Combine this with the summons and it's not like the challenge of the other games. In a more casual way, this is great, but if you've enjoyed the other games, it feels off. You've then got the physick flask and I've currently got something like 9 for healing, 2 fp. Incant to top up if desperate in dungeons. This is without even using runes I've not touched. The closest I've got to the prior games so far is godrick without using spirit ashes and physick flask as I wasn't using ashes at the time (no bell) and didn't have that flask.

* A minor point would be the aesthetic of some of the bosses. They wouldn't look out of place in games from over a decade ago. Shades and crystallians etc. This links in with the game just being too large as above. They must be running low on ideas at 160+ bosses and it's no surprise.

*The camera just can't cope with the larger bosses such as the dragons. This has been commented on plenty before in other releases with other bosses. I'd rather they have addressed this and cut content.

I haven't gone into the positives as they're so well documented and numerous. Still an incredible game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't following a guide kind of spoil things? Like is it not better to do your own thing?

I don't think so much for builds, though arguably it's the least important one for that as stated it is not so challenging (heck even I finished it). I followed some guides after I had finished the game as a lot of stuff I'd never ever have considered or thought of.

Soldato
Doesn't following a guide kind of spoil things? Like is it not better to do your own thing?

It depends if you read one or watch one and then if it's a series of clips - what exactly are they showing. A good way of doing it always seems to be to look up a few build guides beforehand and see what you like the look of and make sure not to view it being shown on bosses back to back. Ideally you want to see it on normal mobs and a single boss that's lesser. If weapon upgrades didn't work the way they do, I probably wouldn't look at build guides at all.

In terms of guides on the quests, it again depends if you intend for multiple playthroughs. I personally won't bother with NG+ and never have. I look up dialogue options to make sure I'm not locking myself out of content or rewards. The game can be unforgiving even with quest choices.

For the game itself, it's good to try and explore areas in full and then once your finished, look into a guide on the area to see if you have missed something. This way you're only seeing content you otherwise might not have and only if playing NG+.

It's also worth it in brief to look up areas on where weapon drop upgrades come from to get an idea on where to go next sometimes. It hasn't applied to Elden Ring, but I've used boss guides before for mechanics. I wouldn't say they're needed in this though.

Soldato
* The spirit summons make the game far easier than the other souls games/bb. So much so, if you use a good one that's upgraded and your build is ok, you don't even need to learn the mechanics or timings at all. I personally don't mind this given the scale of the game, but the satisfaction goes and it's a different experience. Some bosses feel fine with them, others not at all. The balance between them is also off despite fp cost. Perhaps I just shouldn't use mimic although being aware of it, I actually found it by default. Did use wolves mainly beforehand.

I have mixed feelings about spirit summons.
My 1st playthrough I did as a pure strength build. I didn't want to use spirit summons because I classed them as magic. My own self-impossed rule. Truth be told, I really didn't have an idea what spirit summons were at the time.
I had a bit of a tough time with some bosses. To be honest, that's a hell of an understatement.
2nd playthough, I followed a mage guide and used summons, completely different experience. I had a lot more fun and didn't find it as frustrating.

To me, it feels like the bosses were made with summons in mind, because the aggression on them seems to have been knocked up a notch from previous games. A whole lot of dodging waiting for 1 tiny second to have a quick poke then run away. A summon helps create some opportunities to attack.
But, yeah. Some summons are broken. On my 3rd playthrough, I'm using Black Knife Tiche.
It does feel a little "cheaty".

I wouldn't begrudge anyone following a guide, even on their 1st playthrough. I missed soooo much on my 1st character.
I completely skipped Nokron and most of the underground areas because I didn't know how to start the Radahn fight.
Looking back, it was a silly mistake. But there's so much in this game that you can easily miss.

Also as Drollic mentioned, you can easily get locked out of quests, if you don't do things in the right order.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
I have mixed feelings about spirit summons.
My 1st playthrough I did as a pure strength build. I didn't want to use spirit summons because I classed them as magic. My own self-impossed rule. Truth be told, I really didn't have an idea what spirit summons were at the time.
I had a bit of a tough time with some bosses. To be honest, that's a hell of an understatement.
2nd playthough, I followed a mage guide and used summons, completely different experience. I had a lot more fun and didn't find it as frustrating.

To me, it feels like the bosses were made with summons in mind, because the aggression on them seems to have been knocked up a notch from previous games. A whole lot of dodging waiting for 1 tiny second to have a quick poke then run away. A summon helps create some opportunities to attack.
But, yeah. Some summons are broken. On my 3rd playthrough, I'm using Black Knife Tiche.
It does feel a little "cheaty".

I don't mind it all that much, as I'm still really enjoying the game, but it does stand out slightly from what I expected. Caelid is a perfect example re some of the imbalance that I've just finished off. The evergaoel there I can stand there spamming stormcaller and the boss is down in seconds without getting a hit in or moving. There's no summon. The bear in the cave just slightly further on is harder but easier than the same bears in more open areas. You have to roll. The boss in the same cave deeper in is between the two given the spirit ashes use - still far too easy. The Knight on horseback further on is again too simple and easy. The Black Blade Kindred along with the Dragon seems about right but then it still feels like a DS lite. This is both a positive and negative.

The aggression is nowhere near the previous games for the most part from what I've seen. It was tricky even healing some of the time as it was so constant. For me I know it's miles off as I've not once needed a guide on them. On DS3 as an example I probably used ideas from guides on maybe half of them. Abyss watchers certainly, nameless king etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished at 168, just under 101 hours played. Felt like I saw probably 90% of the game if not more.

Excellent overall but with some minor adjustment, could have been so much more. The final boss managed to create a near perfect difficulty level to be enjoyable with the spirit ashes. The game was better than I expected in lots of areas and a step up from the other titles. It also was a step back in other areas, namely the game length with repeated bosses/mini bosses (perhaps an area or two less with a few more cut scenes and variety in catacombs, namely the textures), spirit ashes - mini bosses more difficult than actual ones due to inability to summon, balancing etc and finally the horse combat.

If you ignore that as some personal gripes and more opinion, the camera and lock on targeting on larger bosses including the end was barely acceptable. No place in a game like this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kinda got distracted from my 3rd playthrough.
A mate bought the game and we just completed it using the seamless co-op mod.

p6IoltY.jpg

We had a great time. His 1st Dark Souls game and he's already planning a build for the next playthrough.
Thinking of doing a Strength/bow build myself.

It's a shame there aren't any co-op mods for the older games. Would love to take him through them, but neither of us want to deal with PvP.

Associate
Frustrated as hell and at the smashing my controllers on the desk point.

Always managed solo all the way to Radagon (struggled on several along the way) and I just cannot do it.
Best is about 20% on Elden beast but dont usually get past Radagon.
If I use Tiche I get a lot of aggro getting smashed all around the arena while he watches from afar and then as soon as I hit a healing Pot Radagon jumps in my face and takes half the pot away.
Mimic I WANT to use but by the time it actually spawns in I have usually been beaten to a pulp. And this is using a medium shield.

I have not had to use shields to date and really dont want to. I have a Dex and this character was Arcane Samurai and I planned to branch out with further characters but this is taking the shine off the game.
Arcane stat is not good for Final boss and I reluctantly respecced. And again and again watching my collection of larval tears rapidly diminish.

Guardian swordspear does tremedous damage to Elden Beast when you can get close for long enough with Black flame tornado. But is pretty useless on Radagon as it hits too slow due to his mobility.
Black Flame does decent damage with a tick but again i usually die before radagon does.

Carion Slicer respeccing to 80 Dex looked promising watching youtube but it sure does not kill like that for me.
It is probably the fastest dps but not fast enough to save me unfortunately. Again due to getting my face repeatedly smashed.

And yes I know Git Gud someone is bound to say but at 67 I fear that Radagon may be beyond me.

Saddest part is I have played 828 hours level 175 have nearly all achievements (think 4 left) and yes I am well aware my main problem is avoiding or blocking Radagons/ Elden Beasts attacks but I just cant seem to get it.
I started Radagon with a stock of 144 Boiled crab. They have long gone and I have given up bothering now as it seems pointless and thats sad.

Then I see No hit runs on YouTube of all bosses and I think WTF!

Time to find a rope I think.
(Dont take that bit seriously)

Last edited:
Soldato

Always managed solo all the way to Radagon (struggled on several along the way) and I just cannot do it.
If I use Tiche I get a lot of aggro getting smashed all around the arena while he watches from afar and then as soon as I hit a healing Pot Radagon jumps in my face and takes half the pot away.
Mimic I WANT to use but by the time it actually spawns in I have usually been beaten to a pulp. And this is using a medium shield.

I have not had to use shields to date and really dont want to. I have a Dex and this character was Arcane Samurai and I planned to branch out with further characters but this is taking the shine off the game.
Arcane stat is not good for Final boss and I reluctantly respecced. And again and again watching my collection of larval tears rapidly diminish.

Guardian swordspear does tremedous damage to Elden Beast when you can get close for long enough with Black flame tornado. But is pretty useless on Radagon as it hits too slow due to his mobility.
Black Flame does decent damage with a tick but again i usually die before radagon does.

Carion Slicer respeccing to 80 Dex looked promising watching youtube but it sure does not kill like that for me.
It is probably the fastest dps but not fast enough to save me unfortunately. Again due to getting my face repeatedly smashed.

And yes I know Git Gud someone is bound to say but at 67 I fear that Radagon may be beyond me.

Saddest part is I have played 828 hours level 175 have nearly all achievements (think 4 left) and yes I am well aware my main problem is avoiding or blocking Radagons/ Elden Beasts attacks but I just cant seem to get it.
I started Radagon with a stock of 144 Boiled crab. They have long gone and I have given up bothering now as it seems pointless and thats sad.

When I found a boss I couldn't deal with I just went off and farmed some levels and came back again.

Also watch YouTube boss guides.

There were times i felt like this when playing Sekiro, i hit a wall and i got so frustrated i began to hate the game. Then me and the wife went on holiday for two weeks, i forgot about the game and relaxed. Came home, fired Sekiro up and first try the boss that drove me to madness. Sometimes a break is as good as a rest ;)

Associate
I've started a new game over the last few week, absolutely hooked again. I've done a quick revisit here and there to try a few builds, but nothing ever really committing to a full playthrough since it came out.

You really do forget how spectacular it was, I know the big area/landscape reveal shots are coming, I know the music that's about to kick in, but it still makes me stop and admire things.

I was going to go for a standard strength build, but shortly after starting I had the idea to go for a sort of hybrid spellcaster instead. I picked up the Lordsworn's Greatsword from the first camp, killed the gravity wielding dude on the beach for his Ashes of War, imbued the sword with magic and it has absolutely carried me for 20+ hours by just pumping into INT. The two hand heavy attack combo along with Axe Talisman has just done wonders for staggering things.

I swapped over to a Cold infusion when I found one for the Frostbite effect, then have a few little spells for the side. I made decent progress, enough that I could box off the Ranni quest and go for the Moonlight Greatsword pretty quickly, though when checked up to remind myself what the next steps were I realised I bricked a quest or two that would have yielded some nice items for me. I was worried about some of the bosses too after I just hit a wall on Royal Knight Loretta, but it's been surprisingly smooth. I got Astel down on the second try, again the stagger just doing work for me, completed the quest and switched over to the Moonlight sword, which with the materials I had along the way went straight to +9.

It's busted as hell now, I'm at minimum STR & DEX requirement, 40 INT, 40 VIT, 20 END and starting to pump into FOC a little bit. I've got the Axe Talisman on to boost charge attacks, the Godfrey Icon to boost charged ashes/spells, and just a talisman to recover FP on kill. I just buff the sword, run in and spam charged heavy attacks and everything just dies. The projectile is doing about 700-900 damage on it's own, the actual weapon hit adds another few hundred on top of that, then there's the frostbite build up every so often, plus the stagger is awesome. God knows what kind of damage it's going to be doing later on with potentially an extra talisman of some kind, the flask buffs, +10 and more INT.

I feel like this could be the perfect revenge build for Malenia and all the frustration she caused me at launch :cry:

Associate
Got him tonight.

Credit to a Youtube vid from somebody else who had suffered the same frustration and pointed me in the right direction.

(I forgot everything about the build i started as. Went full tank mode with as much defense as I could muster. 70 poise.
All the Drake talismans, Greatshield talisman. Crucible helm and chest. Godskin noble bracers. tree sentinel boots.
Had to use a sacred medium brass shield as not enough strength for a good great shield.

Strong enough to Block and withstand Radagon easily until Mimic spawned in. Spammed Black Flame from behind the shield and once mimic did the same it soon finished.
We were in decent health with plenty of pots still.

Used Opaline hard and bubble tears (both damage negation) at start of Elden beast.
Used meteor to knock him down. Took a few minutes but i realised it was no longer critical to avoid his attacks I could stand and take everything then just pot up and chase him again.
Got Elden to 10% and realised I was out of FP and was just swapping Dark Moon Greatsword but luckily Mimic finished him :)

This was the only the second attempt in this spec.
Another change was using Golden Vow and Black Flames protection during Radagon and only using Lords Divine Fortification during Elden Beast.
As I only have 3 Rune Arcs left I did not even pop one as I thought I was still learning the play. I was Shocked I tell ya Shocked when he died.

But pleased :)

So now start NG or build a new class Hmm.

Associate
Anyone got any tips on how to defeat crucible knights? I'm following fightin' cowboy's walk-through (first time I've ever needed one!) and whilst I've been able to defeat everything else so far, I haven't been able to beat either of the two crucible knight's I've encountered so far... I'm not even getting close. I have a level 4 bloodhound fang...

P.S. This is my first souls game, go easy on me :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Really looking forward to the the DLC. This was the first souls game I finished because it's the easiest (or at least you can make it so with mimic tear/summons).

Anyone got any tips on how to defeat crucible knights? I'm following fightin' cowboy's walk-through (first time I've ever needed one!) and whilst I've been able to defeat everything else so far, I haven't been able to beat either of the two crucible knight's I've encountered so far... I'm not even getting close. I have a level 4 bloodhound fang...

P.S. This is my first souls game, go easy on me :D
CKs are very tough, but they hate fire and lightning attacks. Parrying is your main weapon against them, otherwise lots of dodging and patience.

Soldato
I have never checked for any further release info about a game expansion before! can't come soon enough, I hope that the rumours of a shadow drop in feb are true, however I can't see it.

Side note, is it only me that found the tree sentinels to be some of the biggest pains in the game? I had to just skip the one outside maliketh in the end

Back
Top Bottom