*** Elden Ring ***

Associate
I've just tried to play, and I must've been disconnected about 3 times within 30 minutes. So frustrating when you're not even playing the coop or pvp at all!! Just let me play FFS! :mad:

Man of Honour
To reiterate my earlier post, the more I play the more I like it. Its now up there alongside God of War for my potential GOTY, I'll have to continue to play but at the moment , and with a long way of the year to go yet..including some titles I have my eye on like Stalker 2 , its up there in my reckoning.

Man of Honour
I would say though, that I have just been invaded by what was without doubt a bot, called Anastasia, Tarnished Eater (unless thats some sort of npc event?) , just kept invading over and over.

Would always run up with a massive blade thing, however if you jumped on a wall, she did nothing. Would just walk back and forth, didnt swap to a ranged attack, didnt try and jump on the wall. Would just go left and right, left and right over and over. If you shot an arrow at her she dodged every single time but if you cast a spell she would get hit by it and would simply continue pacing left and right, below you, whilst you hit her with spells over and over.

Last edited:
Associate
I would say though, that I have just been invaded by what was without doubt a bot, called Anastasia, Tarnished Eater (unless thats some sort of npc event?) , just kept invading over and over.

Would always run up with a massive blade thing, however if you jumped on a wall, she did nothing. Would just walk back and forth, didnt swap to a ranged attack, didnt try and jump on the wall. Would just go left and right, left and right over and over. If you shot an arrow at her she dodged every single time but if you cast a spell she would get hit by it and would simply continue pacing left and right, below you, whilst you hit her with spells over and over.

Yeah, I think she's an AI/bot invader. I've come across several thus far in the game that keep on respawning in certain locations until you kill them.

On a positive note picked up the Moonveil Katana last night. Guaranteed swift dectruction of all that stands before me now ...... not !

Soldato
Yes, the spammed 'try jumping,' 'hidden path ahead' japes are wearing quite thin. As are the juvenile "but hole" variations.

But, I have found some helpful messages. A couple directed me to catacombs or caves I would have otherwise missed, some have warned me of ambushes or enemies about to drop from above, and in the castle I read some helpful warnings of knights ahead and enemies waiting around corners. I always make sure to go back to upvote the helpful ones.

I have killed a couple of NPC invaders. Their AI is pretty good for the most part, but it is still just game AI and there are ways to cheese it. The ability to get two or three pebble casts off in rapid succession will generally mean that the AI will roll the first one like you would expect a human to, but they mostly don't roll the right way and so pop out of the roll into the second cast, with the small stagger usually enough to make them eat the third too. I haven't met one with a decent gap closing ability yet, so if I find melee a bit too tough with them, backstepping and casting is a solid strategy. Being able to switch up magic and melee as the situation demands has served me reasonably well so far.

I am so into this game! The world feels so big, with so much to discover and so many oddities and monstrositites. It all feels wonderfully mysterious and menacing. I am feeling a bit obsessed. I woke up this morning to find I had been having Elden Ring dreams...

Associate
Duel wield katanas are pretty sick. I've upgraded both to +5 with the sombering stones and it feel like I'm doing so much more damage now, I went back to a couple of bosses that were a bit beyond me early on and absolutely destroyed them. It looks like this might be the best way forward for me as they are synergising with the stats I have pretty well, plus I always have the magic to fall back on.

Going out and exploring the map rather than progressing the story has served me well too, I've found loads of those golden seeds and tears to upgrade the flasks. I think I have 11 flasks at +6 now, it makes things a lot more comfortable. Lots of locations have been marked down to return to later as well.

I might actually get around to entering Stormveil castle at some point tonight :D

Soldato
Has anyone set up an ocuk password for multiplayer? You can have up to 5 and it gives you more chance to summon a player from those multiplayer pools, and the messages that people leave from the group's have a little circle around them do you kind of know they're legit and helpful so you can ignore others.
I'm in the one fightingcowboy set up on his yt channel.

Soldato
Red AI invaders are part of the souls games.
They sometimes lead to NPC interactions that impact parts of side stories, or some invaders will only appear if you have met certain story conditions.
Most are optional but you typically get something decent for killing them, they return home if you can get far away from them.

Soldato
OP
So far, loving it, trying to explore every nook and crannie, on a certain questline for Radahn and without trying to spoil anything, that fight is a PAIN even with the summons...

One thing is becoming remarkably clear, even for a souls game, this sorely needed at least a journal. No waypoints or 'speak to X' as such, just a journal saying 'I've spoken with X who suggested Y'. I keep forgetting who I've interacted with and what my next steps are for some NPC's.

Other than that, I can't let go of my Bloodhounds fang weapon, it's +5 now and it just stomps everything and I love it's move set! Will tackle Radahn tonight until he falls as I want to progress further now. Oh, I'm 45 hours in by the way, double what some main streamers are in for being at the same location, but I'd rather take my time and explore as much as possible.

Associate
Yes, the spammed 'try jumping,' 'hidden path ahead' japes are wearing quite thin. As are the juvenile "but hole" variations.

But, I have found some helpful messages. A couple directed me to catacombs or caves I would have otherwise missed, some have warned me of ambushes or enemies about to drop from above, and in the castle I read some helpful warnings of knights ahead and enemies waiting around corners. I always make sure to go back to upvote the helpful ones.

I have killed a couple of NPC invaders. Their AI is pretty good for the most part, but it is still just game AI and there are ways to cheese it. The ability to get two or three pebble casts off in rapid succession will generally mean that the AI will roll the first one like you would expect a human to, but they mostly don't roll the right way and so pop out of the roll into the second cast, with the small stagger usually enough to make them eat the third too. I haven't met one with a decent gap closing ability yet, so if I find melee a bit too tough with them, backstepping and casting is a solid strategy. Being able to switch up magic and melee as the situation demands has served me reasonably well so far.

I am so into this game! The world feels so big, with so much to discover and so many oddities and monstrositites. It all feels wonderfully mysterious and menacing. I am feeling a bit obsessed. I woke up this morning to find I had been having Elden Ring dreams...

Think I've faced three of these so far and they are an intended part of the game (I was running in offline mode). They do have an attack pattern you can follow which means you can anticipate/parry/dodge their attack pattern.

It is worth trying to kill them rather than running as they do drop good gear and items if you do kill them. I'm an astrologer and found a good tactic was to block, hit with melee and then dodge back to hit with magic, doing this ground them down fairly quickly and even if they dodge the magic attack if you are quick enough you can follow it up with a forward dodge into an attack which stuns them to follow up with another attack.

Associate
Had another go at installing it with the update. Still wont recognise any of the buttons on my xbox controller :(

Do other non-button functions work like the analogue sticks or is none of it working?

If none of it is working try this.

Steam - Settings - Controller - General Controller Settings - Tick the XBox Configuration Support box.

That enables Xbox controller for all types of games that have trouble detecting them, even though Xbox controller works as default on most games I had to enable that to get a game working a while and have just left it on ever since.

Back
Top Bottom