*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
The extra gear upgrades really showed last night, I hit level 50 and finally went through Stormveil. I absolutely annihilated Godrick on the first go, the fight lasted no more than a minute and was pretty much over in 3-4 full duel wield combos. I might stick around there for a little while and co-op other people through it, I know he's been touted as being pretty difficult but I was obviously over geared for the occasion.

It makes me wonder about how much of the game you could conceivably clear without ever hitting the main story bosses, the amount of the map I was able to explore before even going to Stormveil was pretty huge. It should make additional playthroughs really interesting if you wanted to rush for certain items.

Nice. What's your build and what weapon are you using and at what upgrade level?

I have starting using a +6 claymore, but I was hoping it would have been doing a bit more damage that it is, to be honest. Starting to look like the Meteoric Ore Blade will be a lot stronger, but I will miss the big sweeps and reach of the claymore...

Ive tried the BH Fang and im not feeling it for some reason, ive been crushing everything with Crescent Moon Axe +8, coupled with ground slam ash its actually fun to run in the middle of 10 mobs and annihilate them. The axe is staggering stuff way above its pay grade, bosses are on their knees in two heavy swings!

Associate
Nice. What's your build and what weapon are you using and at what upgrade level?

I have starting using a +6 claymore, but I was hoping it would have been doing a bit more damage that it is, to be honest. Starting to look like the Meteoric Ore Blade will be a lot stronger, but I will miss the big sweeps and reach of the claymore...

So I'm now at level 52:
Vigor 20
Mind 20
Endurance 19
Strength 10 (getting +5 from a charm to make it 15)
Dexterity 21
Intelligence 25
Faith 8
Arcane 9

Weapons are:
Moonveil Katana+5 - 364 sheet damage, using it in the main hand because the heavy attack is a stab with decent range and stagger.
Meteoric Ore Blase+4 - 348 sheet damage, using in the off hand.

They both scale off STR,DEX, INT (Moonveil having the better scaling), so both do physical and magic damage as well as having bleed build up.

Magic Stave in the offhand is Meteorite staff, it has an S scaling for INT, not found anything better yet or tried to upgrade others to see if they're better.

Soldato
So I'm now at level 52:
Vigor 20
Mind 20
Endurance 19
Strength 10 (getting +5 from a charm to make it 15)
Dexterity 21
Intelligence 25
Faith 8
Arcane 9

Weapons are:
Moonveil Katana+5 - 364 sheet damage, using it in the main hand because the heavy attack is a stab with decent range and stagger.
Meteoric Ore Blase+4 - 348 sheet damage, using in the off hand.

They both scale off STR,DEX, INT (Moonveil having the better scaling), so both do physical and magic damage as well as having bleed build up.

Magic Stave in the offhand is Meteorite staff, it has an S scaling for INT, not found anything better yet or tried to upgrade others to see if they're better.

Ooh, now I am wondering if I should put another four points into Dex to be able to wield Moonveil. But there are a few stats that need attention in my build. So hard to decide.

Thanks for the info.

Soldato
Right, so its been a while since I played anything like this, but playing keyboard and mouse on PC, I am utterly bemused, as the tootips keep telling me in menus to hit yellow and blue and ****, and there doesn;t seem to be any keyboard equivalent for certain button presses, like the xbox menu button.
Have I set something up wrong, or is there a patch needed to dual the controls to keyboard buttons?

Soldato
Right, so its been a while since I played anything like this, but playing keyboard and mouse on PC, I am utterly bemused, as the tootips keep telling me in menus to hit yellow and blue and ****, and there doesn;t seem to be any keyboard equivalent for certain button presses, like the xbox menu button.
Have I set something up wrong, or is there a patch needed to dual the controls to keyboard buttons?
There's an option in the menus to change prompts from gamepad to keyboard.

Soldato
OP
I can't put down the bloodhound fang, searching for a somber stone 5 now

I am kind of the same, hence I'm forcing my self to try out a strength collosal weapons build for a while to mix it up as I figure I'm about 1/3 through the game now (on the door step of Radahn). I'm Lv66 though so it's getting costly leveling up and I still have a tonne more exploration to do.

Associate
Do other non-button functions work like the analogue sticks or is none of it working?

If none of it is working try this.

Steam - Settings - Controller - General Controller Settings - Tick the XBox Configuration Support box.

That enables Xbox controller for all types of games that have trouble detecting them, even though Xbox controller works as default on most games I had to enable that to get a game working a while and have just left it on ever since.

That worked.

Thank you Sir

Associate
Does anybody else have to verify the game files before each game to actually get the game to load and not to crash to desktop? Frustrating but it's the only way i can get the game to load up.

Soldato
Does anybody else have to verify the game files before each game to actually get the game to load and not to crash to desktop? Frustrating but it's the only way i can get the game to load up.

I wonder if your anti-virus or something is fighting Easy Anti Cheat and deleting key files.

Soldato
Kind of regretting going magic......its great for clearing trash but trash for fighting bosses.

It's definitely powerful against some bosses. I was struggling with the firey wyrm for a few attempts in melee (well, in classic From style, it may be more accurate to say I was struggling with the camera...), but running around the (absurdly tiny) arena to make space to cast rock sling got him quite nicely, with the bonus that he was stunned on every third or forth cast. I don't know how many main story bosses are susceptible to magic, though. I pelted Margit with a few pebbles, but definitely did most of my damage with a big sword.

You got any weapons that scale with magic? Although I like my claymore best for its moveset and reach, my most damaging weapons at the moment are two that scale primarily off Int.

Permabanned
It's definitely powerful against some bosses. I was struggling with the firey wyrm for a few attempts in melee (well, in classic From style, it may be more accurate to say I was struggling with the camera...), but running around the (absurdly tiny) arena to make space to cast rock sling got him quite nicely, with the bonus that he was stunned on every third or forth cast. I don't know how many main story bosses are susceptible to magic, though. I pelted Margit with a few pebbles, but definitely did most of my damage with a big sword.

You got any weapons that scale with magic? Although I like my claymore best for its moveset and reach, my most damaging weapons at the moment are two that scale primarily off Int.

meteorite staff, ok for early game, I use it with rock sling. Just got Carian Glintblade Staff, need to upgrade it a bit and its good for carian slicer. Rock sling is quite good I guess just often too slow to cast unless at decent range.

Going to grind some levels and smithing stones. :)

Soldato
meteorite staff, ok for early game, I use it with rock sling. Just got Carian Glintblade Staff, need to upgrade it a bit and its good for carian slicer. Rock sling is quite good I guess just often too slow to cast unless at decent range.

Going to grind some levels and smithing stones. :)

I was thinking of melee weapons. There are at least two katanas that scale well with Int, and I imagine the Moonlight Greatsword and Crystal Blade or their equivalents are somewhere in the game too. I've been levelling Str and Int together so far, but now I have my two Int scaling katanas I might go all in on Int since it will now boost melee damage and spells. I guess I was basically thinking that speccing into Int and magic doesn't mean you can't also be handy in melee. Though I have yet to test this theory against any tough bosses (it's been fine for some minor dungeon bosses).

Anyone else using the ash summons in fights? I was using the wolves sometimes as they make a nice distraction for fast bosses, but ive just used the Marionette archers on some dog boss.....they solo'd it....i think they might get nerfed :cry:

Man of Honour
Anyone else using the ash summons in fights? I was using the wolves sometimes as they make a nice distraction for fast bosses, but ive just used the Marionette archers on some dog boss.....they solo'd it....i think they might get nerfed :cry:

I used the wolves a lot early on, dont think I even have the marionette archers, where is that one from?

Soldato
I used the wolves a lot early on, dont think I even have the marionette archers, where is that one from?
I've also used the wolves and the jellyfish. They seem okay as a distraction, but I certainly haven't noticed them doing much other than take aggro a bit now and then. Any boss with sweeping attacks or AoEs takes out all the wolves pretty darn sharpish. They were really helpful on a gank boss in some caves (a double boss accompanied by a host of adds, but I forget the name). I would also be intersted to find thes archers!

The fire wyrm thing didn't even give me enough time to summon any ashes, since by the time I was done with the animation I was being firewalked into a wall and a quick death. Sometimes the cast time and FP efficiency makes spells or weapon arts feel more situationally useful.

This sounds pathetic but what is the easiest class to start with? I've not played a souls game and I'd rather make a start without being frustrated at every turn and then play through again afterward with more of a challenge.

It's only a short term difference but I think general consensus is wretch is the hardest start. As for easiest, I am not sure, but I went vagabond becuase the stats are decent and it starts with good armour and a 100% physical damage blocking shield. If it's your first Souls, I would think being able to block reliably would be a useful mechanic to help feel your way through the start until you get a feel for the combat spacing and dodge timing.

Back
Top Bottom