*** Elden Ring ***

Soldato
I only started playing this the other day, so I'm still pretty new to everything. A couple of questions - is there any point in upgrading the gear you start with, or is it best to wait until you loot something better? Also, is there a recommended level that I should get to before leaving the first area? Cheers.
Don't wait to upgrade weapons you get enough of mats up to +5 for most weapon types.so play around and see what you like.

The first area? There was a map link a few pages back to shows recommended areas that is pretty accurate...of course that doesn't stop you from getting on the horse and grabbing a few items early from mid game areas.

Associate
Radahn is another delightful Souls gimmick/puzzle boss that loads of people dislike, such as Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls 1 which might be one of the most ridiculous bosses ever, they even apologised for it later.
About a 2 min run to even get to boss from nearest save point, then you either die in 5 seconds or do an exact sequence of runs and jumps, some people had 100 attempts at it or more.

I went in at Radahn at lv 60 pure melee and got to about 30% left at very best after many attempts, but just too much for me to bother with right now as it's a lot easier with specific techniques not suited to my build. I've completed all bosses in prior Dark Souls games, without using special gimmicks to beat him Radahm is up there with the hardest.

Luckily they're not a compulsory boss and I've just done plenty of other bosses and quests since then, levelled up a lot and will return to try melee or most likely will have to end up gimmicking it as it's very hard.

Found a very light, 100% block greatshield, at 12.5 weight with my 9 weight greatsword it's a very light combo for the utility. Greatshields can stagger on blocks a lot better than smaller ones and usually have a lot higher magic def as well. Might upgrade the Grand Epee for a long range shield poke weapon.

Soldato
Amazing game, this is coming from someone that just couldn’t get on with the dark souls series. Some dips in performance when fighting on horse back but mostly stable. Max settings 3070fe, 3700x 32gb ram playing in 2k.

I haven’t found a single dex based weapon upgrade yet which is sad. Found or had bosses all drop heavy strength based weapon upgrades :/ can someone gently hint me towards an area with a good dex weapon drop?

Associate
I'm glad to see that it seems most people here are really enjoying the game. I'd never played a souls game or souls like before and during first lockdown completed DS 1, I then purchase DS2, DS3 and Nioh. I'm about 50 hours into Nioh which I'm enjoying, and I got about 20 hours into DS2 then lost my save by shuffling the game around my computer without realising that it didn't have cloud save, so my own fault essentially. I refuse to buy Elden Ring until I complete DS2 & DS3 so I need to get on it and start DS2 again as this thread is making it torture haha.

Associate
Amazing game, this is coming from someone that just couldn’t get on with the dark souls series. Some dips in performance when fighting on horse back but mostly stable. Max settings 3070fe, 3700x 32gb ram playing in 2k.

I haven’t found a single dex based weapon upgrade yet which is sad. Found or had bosses all drop heavy strength based weapon upgrades :/ can someone gently hint me towards an area with a good dex weapon drop?

What weapon are you using at the moment? Are you just pure Dex or do you have a hybrid of different stats?

Soldato
What weapon are you using at the moment? Are you just pure Dex or do you have a hybrid of different stats?

I’ve gone warrior and using the starter dual blades. Would love to actually upgrade to something shiny and new. I’ve found / killed 2 small bosses for morning stars but that isn’t a weapon I want to main. Plus swords and the halberd from tree centinel.

Stats wise, 12 strength, 22 dex, 20 vit, 10 faith

Last edited:
I’ve gone warrior and using the starter dual blades. Would love to actually upgrade to something shiny and new. I’ve found / killed 2 small bosses for morning stars but that isn’t a weapon I want to main. Plus swords and the halberd from tree centinel.

Stats wise, 12 strength, 22 dex, 20 vit, 10 faith

Bloodhound's Fang is a great curved sword, i wont spoil where it is so just search Elden Wiki, it'll show you were it is and how you fight to get it. Its pretty accessible from early game. Also the TwinBlade is around the early game area but i cant remember where, i stumbled upon it!

Associate

Bloodhound's Fang is a good shout as above.

The Katana weapons are pretty powerful and I have stuck with them all the way through the game. Excellent for dual wielding due to the bleed build up.

There is a Katana (Uchigatana) located in one of the early caves/dungeons in Limgrave, look around the hilly area in the North East of Stormhill. If you go over the bridge then you've gone too far.
Cave name:
Deathtouched Catacombs

As for the TwinBlade:
Plenty of things to find around the lake area ;)

Soldato
Bloodhound's Fang is a good shout as above.

The Katana weapons are pretty powerful and I have stuck with them all the way through the game. Excellent for dual wielding due to the bleed build up.

There is a Katana (Uchigatana) located in one of the early caves/dungeons in Limgrave, look around the hilly area in the North East of Stormhill. If you go over the bridge then you've gone too far.
Cave name:
Deathtouched Catacombs

As for the TwinBlade:
Plenty of things to find around the lake area ;)

lol was watching singsing stream for 15 mins. Just saw him pick up the twin blade and I had missed it the 1st time being in that area. As I got transported through a chest lol. Gone back and got it now. Thx

Permabanned
This game gives me so many different feelings. Its a joy to play and the world is so interesting but the scope of it and the fact theres no storyline (compared to standard games ,I'm aware there is actually a storyline) makes it a little overwhelming. I ended up looking at some guides and theres a pretty good one that gives you a list of places to go to,picking up essential stuff before you actually start with the campaign. Before I realised it I am now level 30 and Ive not gone back to the castle gate to go back to the story but at least all the map is unlocked, the roundtable, got a couple of good bleed weapons and all sorts of other trinkets and cool stuff.

Just like DS3 and BB its hooked me now. Just turned it off and Im thinking about it and when I can get back into it.

Soldato
So I was moaning about this on discord. There is no reason for the game not giving me this information. What are these buffs / debuffs? Are you able to get the info in-game without having to find some youtuber explaining it?

hV6uEI3.jpg

Man of Honour
So I was moaning about this on discord. There is no reason for the game not giving me this information. What are these buffs / debuffs? Are you able to get the info in-game without having to find some youtuber explaining it?

hV6uEI3.jpg

The red square is Health, so red square with an arrow up means you are getting a health boost from somewhere. Most likely a talisman that you have equipped (maybe the Crimson one which gives you extra HP). The red square with a down arrow means that you are getting a health debuff from somewhere, possibly you hugged the woman at the round table?

Why you cant get that info ingame though , is a pet peeve of mine too.

Soldato
The red square is Health, so red square with an arrow up means you are getting a health boost from somewhere. Most likely a talisman that you have equipped (maybe the Crimson one which gives you extra HP). The red square with a down arrow means that you are getting a health debuff from somewhere, possibly you hugged the woman at the round table?

Why you cant get that info ingame though , is a pet peeve of mine too.

That is exactly it :) Why does the woman that hug you result in a debuff? I cannot remember what she was going on about tbh ;o

Man of Honour
That is exactly it :) Why does the woman that hug you result in a debuff? I cannot remember what she was going on about tbh ;o

You can get rid of the debuff if you use the item she gave you in your inventory and then rest at a camp, baldins something or other I think its called

You get a debuff because you are basically giving her some of your lifeforce

Ive seen a lot of people say this game needs some form of journal, in past From games you didnt need that but a From open world game? Yeah it does. Ive talked to people at the start of the game ive forgotten about because the games so bloody big! :cry:

Back
Top Bottom