*** Elden Ring ***

Associate
Beat Malenia last night, I didn't find her nearly as hard to beat as I was expecting. Once I realised she was easy to stagger it didn't take much to finish her off. What a fantastic boss though, and the transition to her rot form was a work of art.

Associate
Future Press are going to be publishing two strategy guides, The Books of Knowledge for Elden Ring,the 1st on 29th July and the 2nd on 30th Sept, one will detail the lands between and the NPC’s, the other will detail the beasts and weapons, both will be published in hardback. Both will be priced at £39.99.

I don’t normally buy strategy guides but may well make an exception with these, they look like being really high quality and will have information not currently released.

Soldato
So guys, I've been holding off playing this one for a while, due to hearing at the release at least, PC was in a pretty bad state regards stuttering; as was the Xbox, and the PS5 was the most playable of the lot.

I've since heard Valve has managed to do some work to reduce the stutters for Steam Deck at least, there have been a few patches, and things are maybe not as bad as they were.

Being honest, is this still a title that runs and plays better on a Series X or PS5, or has it more or less evened off. Wanted to get some actual user feedback rather than just looking at reviews and youtube, much of which is now months out of date.

I will ask this in the console thread too, just to try and get a bigger picture, but would really appreciate some honesty; especially if you've played on multiple platforms.

Associate
So guys, I've been holding off playing this one for a while, due to hearing at the release at least, PC was in a pretty bad state regards stuttering; as was the Xbox, and the PS5 was the most playable of the lot.

I've since heard Valve has managed to do some work to reduce the stutters for Steam Deck at least, there have been a few patches, and things are maybe not as bad as they were.

Being honest, is this still a title that runs and plays better on a Series X or PS5, or has it more or less evened off. Wanted to get some actual user feedback rather than just looking at reviews and youtube, much of which is now months out of date.

I will ask this in the console thread too, just to try and get a bigger picture, but would really appreciate some honesty; especially if you've played on multiple platforms.
Steam says I have played it for 63.9 hours. In that time I have had 2 incidents, both where it seemed to me to be like a desync. I could presspen inventory, roll or jump but not attack (on both occasions I was not near monsters). The first time I had to quit out and restart, the 2nd time it figured itself out; this was a bout a month ago and since then I have not had any issues at all (pc version)
hope this helps.
it's a fantastic game!

Soldato
Steam says I have played it for 63.9 hours. In that time I have had 2 incidents, both where it seemed to me to be like a desync. I could presspen inventory, roll or jump but not attack (on both occasions I was not near monsters). The first time I had to quit out and restart, the 2nd time it figured itself out; this was a bout a month ago and since then I have not had any issues at all (pc version)
hope this helps.
it's a fantastic game!
Thanks!
Me and the wife have both been waiting to play it, but the reports on launch were...less than stellar shall we say!

Soldato

The only stuttering I had was before upgrading, I was on a 4790k and it was practically unplayable. After I'd jumped to Alder Lake - smooth sailing. No crashes in 60h IIRC.

It's not the best optimised game out there and the engine, quite frankly, isn't suited for open worlds, which makes it all the more amazing what they pulled off here.

I think you'll be fine as long as you have a CPU a bit fresher than a 4790k, lol.

Associate
As someone who cried away from the souls games but loves open world rpgs should i avoid or jump in ? :)

It's very much worth a go yes, the game's main strength from shifting into an open world style is the massively increased accessibility it gives you.

There are some hard bosses for sure, but you're never stuck or limited from just leaving and exploring elsewhere instead if they're causing too much difficulty, returning later at a higher level to steam roll them. The checkpoints/bonfires are much improved as well, there's usually one right before the bosses, preventing it from feeling like running a gauntlet just to get back for another try when you die. There's very few bosses that are required for progression and it's clear which ones they are beforehand.

The world itself feels like one of the best designed for long while too, the atmosphere is great throughout with lots of moments of simply stopping to take in a view. You aren't bombarded with markers on a map and overwhelmed with repeating activities to perform, exploration just seems very natural. Genuinely when I had finished the game after a couple of weeks I looked back at the world map and retraced how I had progressed though in my head, it felt like a proper adventure.

If you do get it, try and play it blind with no guides.

Associate
It's very much worth a go yes, the game's main strength from shifting into an open world style is the massively increased accessibility it gives you.

There are some hard bosses for sure, but you're never stuck or limited from just leaving and exploring elsewhere instead if they're causing too much difficulty, returning later at a higher level to steam roll them. The checkpoints/bonfires are much improved as well, there's usually one right before the bosses, preventing it from feeling like running a gauntlet just to get back for another try when you die. There's very few bosses that are required for progression and it's clear which ones they are beforehand.

The world itself feels like one of the best designed for long while too, the atmosphere is great throughout with lots of moments of simply stopping to take in a view. You aren't bombarded with markers on a map and overwhelmed with repeating activities to perform, exploration just seems very natural. Genuinely when I had finished the game after a couple of weeks I looked back at the world map and retraced how I had progressed though in my head, it felt like a proper adventure.

If you do get it, try and play it blind with no guides.
Well that sounds fantastic, dont get me wrong im not a total noob fearing difficulty, some of my most played games are realism shooters and racings sims which a lot shy away from.
I do however not enjoy a boss doing my head blocking all future gameplay so what you describe sems very fair.
Im very tempted now for sure, if i do should i go with M&KB or controller?

Associate
Well that sounds fantastic, dont get me wrong im not a total noob fearing difficulty, some of my most played games are realism shooters and racings sims which a lot shy away from.
I do however not enjoy a boss doing my head blocking all future gameplay so what you describe sems very fair.
Im very tempted now for sure, if i do should i go with M&KB or controller?
Yeah it's just like any souls game, everything is dangerous if you aren't paying attention. The feeling of progression is great, upgrading some gear or getting stronger by leveling up always triggered 'well now I can go back here try again' or 'I might be strong enough to push further forward now', that pretty much continued until the end of the game.

Either control method is fine I would say, I've always preferred controller on these games as the item switching always felt better to me along with the more analogue movement of a joystick, but it really is just personal preference.

Soldato
Is this one of those "if you don't press block, roll or dodge in this exact 1/10th of a second window you die" games?

Yes. The melee combat is all about jumping rolling or blocking and attacking at the right time. Now don’t confuse this with needing skill required to win because there are a lot of RNG moments where a boss seems to get stuck doing lots of AOE damage that = your instant death. Or attacks that are unblockable or unavoidable. Get it wrong, or get one of those WTF moments and you get punished. It can be infuriating because a lot of the time you don’t die because you got it wrong, but because some random buggy or RNG **** happened that makes you feel cheated and rage quit.

I had to respec from pure mage build to a strength/endurance build and upgrade a colossal sword, just so I could beat the last few main bosses who were almost immune to magic.

It was an OK game and worth a buy and play if on sale.

Back
Top Bottom