Soldato
Aye. I discovered a gaol and my heart sank thinking it was another instant boss encounter but no, it became an actual very pretty little ditty and I stunned even myself managing to kill the boss at the end of it (after several attempts and a summons).

I gave up on the "lion", so have gone back to exploring what I assume is still he starting areas!

Soldato
I really want to change my play style up. I found a twin axe weapon that is seriously cool. But I’m going to have to respec for dex/str. Decisions.

Boss spoiler.

killed the hippo. My best tactic tip is run as soon as you enter the arena as he charges to grab you in his mouth. Took a good 3 attempts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye. I discovered a gaol and my heart sank thinking it was another instant boss encounter but no, it became an actual very pretty little ditty and I stunned even myself managing to kill the boss at the end of it (after several attempts and a summons).

I gave up on the "lion", so have gone back to exploring what I assume is still he starting areas!
to beat the lion boss I used a cold epee and mimic and stabbed it to hell until it got frostbite. After a few attempts and learning his timing it was pretty easy. This was in ng+ with a l lvl200 character.

Caporegime
Hated the base game due to the ridiculous size of the map and the lack of quest log but powered through and completed it.

Finding this much more enjoyable, probably because I know the map’s much smaller and it won’t take a lifetime to complete.

Read a lot of complaints about the difficulty but it feels easier than the base game so far. Using my level 155 Astrologer and haven’t faced a boss that took more than 30 minutes so far. Got wrecked by loads in the base game so guess it’ll ramp up later in the game.

Associate
Hated the base game due to the ridiculous size of the map and the lack of quest log but powered through and completed it.

Finding this much more enjoyable, probably because I know the map’s much smaller and it won’t take a lifetime to complete.

Read a lot of complaints about the difficulty but it feels easier than the base game so far. Using my level 155 Astrologer and haven’t faced a boss that took more than 30 minutes so far. Got wrecked by loads in the base game so guess it’ll ramp up later in the game.
It's a lot bigger than you think - there are essentially 3 land masses stacked on top of each other which you wouldn't realise from looking at the in-game 2D map. If you plan on exploring extensively I'd wager you're looking at easily 50+ hrs for this DLC.

Associate
Enjoying this game a lot more now. Exploration is fun ; lots of verticality, and the dungeons are more unique/handcrafted compared to the base game. Upgrading shadow blessings really does help tone down some of the damage taken from bosses etc, but still think some of their movesets are hyperaggressive.

Soldato
to beat the lion boss I used a cold epee and mimic and stabbed it to hell until it got frostbite. After a few attempts and learning his timing it was pretty easy. This was in ng+ with a l lvl200 character.
Yep. I've come to the conclusion I'm under levelled for the DLC. Only 153 and more or less exclusively play ranged Mage (with summons) as I'm utterly useless with timing and coordination in close combat BUT I don't care I'm enjoying the DLC none the less just exploring and already managed to find somewhere I'm clearly not supposed to be yet as I've not completed any of the primary bosses.

Soldato
Yep. I've come to the conclusion I'm under levelled for the DLC. Only 153 and more or less exclusively play ranged Mage (with summons) as I'm utterly useless with timing and coordination in close combat BUT I don't care I'm enjoying the DLC none the less just exploring and already managed to find somewhere I'm clearly not supposed to be yet as I've not completed any of the primary bosses.

When I struggled in the past I went and spent some time farming them albeneuric things by mohgwyn palace (iirc). They are all sitting down on a cliff side and don't attack unless you attack them.

Just stand in middle of them and do an AOE attack and once you clear that bunch just return to site of grace and repeat. You could likely get to lvl 200 in a few of hours of that.

Soldato
The bloody blackgaol knight just took me over an our of repeated attempts. I knew from start it was possible so I had to persevere. Beat him now though. Fun challenge.
Aye I think he’s the skill check or something. As bosses are certainly more difficult / aggressive. I think he’s the dlcs tree sentinel :D

Soldato
Nah I don't think level matters that much honestly. As long as you have enough stats to wield/wear what you want (within reason), vigor at 60 and have pumped your damage stat(s) you'll be fine. Also, you get a lot of runes in the DLC. I started at about 150 I think and I'm now [edit.. 168] and just got to the 2nd boss without farming. I might farm a bit to try out some of the new weapons though.

The people complaining about the difficulty seem to be much higher level that are used to steamrolling the base game but the DLC doesn't work like that. Instead you should be looking for Scudatree fragments which will boost your "power" inside the DLC.

You will want to get some melee weapons that scale with your stats though... there are a few as I recall.

Last edited:
Associate
Playing as a caster in Elden Ring is not as easy as some would make you think. It's great for the open world where you can keep your distance and/or use a summons to act as a "meat shield". But in dungeons, with claustrophobic corridors and small arenas ( for boss encounters ), things can get very awkward ... casting a spell takes time ( which you don't have against aggressive enemies ) and you likely don't have much armour to be able to take a hit. Dodging is your only option, but that takes stamina ... and again, as a caster, you probably don't have much of it, plus spells drain a lot of stamina. This DLC takes those difficulties and ramps them up a notch. And some of the mobs, such as the Black Knights, have high magic resistance too. I would say this DLC ( and Elden Ring in general ) favours melee characters more, both in terms of cool armour/weapons and boss design. Stick with it, though, you can succeed as a caster ... make sure you wear talismans to reduce casting time and amplify sorcery damage, and upgrade your unique staves to +10 if you can ( Carian Regal Scepter is probably the best one ). Also, use something like the Meteorite Staff in your off-hand to gain the passive bonus of +30% damage for gravity spells.

Associate
The bloody blackgaol knight just took me over an our of repeated attempts. I knew from start it was possible so I had to persevere. Beat him now though. Fun challenge.
Playing with my caster, this guy was a ***** to kill. With a melee build ( tried again with a strength/faith build on PC ) he was straightforward.

Soldato
When I struggled in the past I went and spent some time farming them albeneuric things by mohgwyn palace (iirc). They are all sitting down on a cliff side and don't attack unless you attack them.

Just stand in middle of them and do an AOE attack and once you clear that bunch just return to site of grace and repeat. You could likely get to lvl 200 in a few of hours of that.
Nah I don't think level matters that much honestly. As long as you have enough stats to wield/wear what you want (within reason), vigor at 60 and have pumped your damage stat(s) you'll be fine. Also, you get a lot of runes in the DLC. I started at about 150 I think and I'm now 160 and just got to the 2nd boss without farming. I might farm a bit to try out some of the new weapons though.

The people complaining about the difficulty seem to be much higher level that are used to steamrolling the base game but the DLC doesn't work like that. Instead you should be looking for Scudatree fragments which will boost your "power" inside the DLC.

You will want to get some melee weapons that scale with your stats though... there are a few as I recall.
Playing as a caster in Elden Ring is not as easy as some would make you think. It's great for the open world where you can keep your distance and/or use a summons to act as a "meat shield". But in dungeons, with claustrophobic corridors and small arenas ( for boss encounters ), things can get very awkward ... casting a spell takes time ( which you don't have against aggressive enemies ) and you likely don't have much armour to be able to take a hit. Dodging is your only option, but that takes stamina ... and again, as a caster, you probably don't have much of it, plus spells drain a lot of stamina. This DLC takes those difficulties and ramps them up a notch. And some of the mobs, such as the Black Knights, have high magic resistance too. I would say this DLC ( and Elden Ring in general ) favours melee characters more, both in terms of cool armour/weapons and boss design. Stick with it, though, you can succeed as a caster ... make sure you wear talismans to reduce casting time and amplify sorcery damage, and upgrade your unique staves to +10 if you can ( Carian Regal Scepter is probably the best one ). Also, use something like the Meteorite Staff in your off-hand to gain the passive bonus of +30% damage for gravity spells.
1. Yes. I did use this area to level by clocking those spinning boys plus big bird from affair. I will revisit I think.
2/3. I have got the Carian to + 10 but I really need to properly understands talismans and the negation stats. I think I need to bin off the Preceptor armour set as that is next to useless in melee and for this DLC. Thanks for hints. More research required!

Soldato
Loving some of these armours.

the fire knight has an awesome set too!

IMG-0030.jpg

Soldato
1. Yes. I did use this area to level by clocking those spinning boys plus big bird from affair. I will revisit I think.
2/3. I have got the Carian to + 10 but I really need to properly understands talismans and the negation stats. I think I need to bin off the Preceptor armour set as that is next to useless in melee and for this DLC. Thanks for hints. More research required!
Dragoncrest greatshield talisman!
Radagon icon. (IIRC)
near the very start of the DLC is. ....
blessed blue dew, it slowly restores FP

Associate
None of the caster gear provides much protection versus melee. I have bumped up dexterity a bit to facilitate a dex/melee style ( as an alternative to casting ) using either Moonveil or Dark Moon sword with Mirror Shield, but I don't have the twitch skills to reliably play a no-hit, parry & dodge style. So what I've started to do in this DLC is increase Vitality to 60 ( which is the soft cap before depreciation kicks in ) and bump Endurance up ( aiming for ~45 ) so I can wear better armour. I'm also planning on increasing Faith for access to some incantations for buffing etc. All those adjustments will take this character to approx. lvl 240.

As for talismans - for reference I usually wear the Radagon Icon ( reduces casting time ), Graven Mass ( greater increase in sorcery damage ), one that slowly regens FP ( found in this DLC ... so I won't spoil where it is found ) and a damage negation talisman ( which one depends on what I'm fighting, but usually it's the Dragoncrest Shield +2 to reduce physical damage ).

Back
Top Bottom