Soldato
A few words of caution : exploring too much without tackling the "main" bosses may end up breaking some of the NPC quests/summons - this happened to me. Yes, you need to explore to find scadutree fragments & spirit ashes ... but don't stray too far off-piste. Explore the immediate area, kill main boss, speak to NPC's ... move to next area and repeat the cycle. Without spoiling anything, the area you want to try not to reach prematurely is a certain building off to the east.
I read you. I'm going to stick to attempting Ensis and then go back to Belurat interspersed with levelling up in the base game before wandering off any further.

Soldato
A few words of caution : exploring too much without tackling the "main" bosses may end up breaking some of the NPC quests/summons - this happened to me. Yes, you need to explore to find scadutree fragments & spirit ashes ... but don't stray too far off-piste. Explore the immediate area, kill main boss, speak to NPC's ... move to next area and repeat the cycle. Without spoiling anything, the area you want to try not to reach prematurely is a certain building off to the east.
can you say which one? As I'm just looking round the east side...

Soldato
Don't go anywhere near
the Shadow Keep - when you approach the main gate you get a notification saying a great rune has been broken. This marks a new phase for all the main story NPCs.

I have had that message when mooching round the back lol, but I think I'm due it anyway having beaten 2 main bosses (I think).

Last edited:
Associate

I have had that message when mooching round the back lol, but I think I'm due it anyway having beaten 2 main bosses (I think).
That's probably ok then, providing you spoke to the NPCs after killing each boss ... if not, their quest lines could be unavailable from this point onward.

Soldato
Killed a big dancing lion thing today. Was a bit of a pain, but got him after about 10 attempts.

Killed a poison tree spirit too. That SoB took almost as long as lion dude. Then I decided to go aggressive and smashed it. Only used a couple of flasks. Go figure.

Also done a big dragon too. He was a bit of a damage sponge but got there in the end.

Also done a little yoda dude in a place full of pots.

Loving the DLC. I tweaked my build a bit and I’m doing better now.

Still easy to die but I’m finding keeping distance and block/parry much more important than usual. Dodge rolling has saved my ass plenty too. Particularly for those twin blade dudes who tank all your heavy hits. You get punished for being greedy on this DLC.

Soldato
Associate
OP
I just absolutely nuked bale with astelles meteor I managed to perfectly time an infinite fp flask with a boosted Astelles Meteor whilst bale was agro'd on my mimic tear. 3 quarters of his health bar got wiped it was so satisfying after struggling with him for a while

Soldato
Aaaand done. Phew.

I loved it. But I gotta say.. at times, it felt waaay too difficult and overturned. And the biggest issue for me, is that the majority of bosses are far far too aggressive! Literally charge you the second you walk in the fog gate.

Associate
Same .... just finished the final boss a few minutes ago. I didn't enjoy the fight at all. I don't see how anything other than a melee/greatshield build can win that fight, unless the player is a Souls no-hit god. And even then, there is so much ******** in the 2nd phase ( on one attempt I died with the boss at 1 HP to his "special move" - I won't spoil what that is, but those who have finished the game will understand ).

My final thoughts for the DLC are exactly the same as at the start ... overtuned, difficult boss fights that aren't fun. Exploration is good, as with the base game. But unlike Elden Ring, where my initial reaction on completion was to start a new game with a different build, I'm uninstalling this and probably won't play it again.

Last edited:
Associate
Aaaand done. Phew.

I loved it. But I gotta say.. at times, it felt waaay too difficult and overturned. And the biggest issue for me, is that the majority of bosses are far far too aggressive! Literally charge you the second you walk in the fog gate.
Yup, Commander Gaius is the same ... unavoidable charge within 1 sec of walking through the fog, pins you against the door and if you're unlucky will kill you in the next hit.

Soldato
Yup, Commander Gaius is the same ... unavoidable charge within 1 sec of walking through the fog, pins you against the door and if you're unlucky will kill you in the next hit.
Indeed. I got a feeling Miyazaki feels he needs to one up himself on every game moving forwards. Unfortunately, sometimes to the detriment of having fun.

Edit. And yes. Some of these bosses were the total opposite of having fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Downed Rellana today. Tried a few times with a summon + mimic. Got spanked.

Two attempts with just me + mimic and downed him. He was a tricky bleeder though!

I remember reading something ages ago that said if you use a summon you get fewer runes for the kill and the boss HP is buffed by 60% and their resistances are buffed by 50%. Not sure how true that is, but the Rellana fight definitely seemed a bit easier without the summon.

What I find interesting is many people saying SOTE is too hard and yet so far I haven’t had to Google tips, tricks, advice on bosses.

I accept it is early days for me but there hasn’t been a boss so far as bad as Malenia (imo). Or even Placidusax.

But then Malenia was my wall in ER, and im sure other people found her easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom