Associate
Downed Rellana today. Tried a few times with a summon + mimic. Got spanked.

Two attempts with just me + mimic and downed him. He was a tricky bleeder though!

I remember reading something ages ago that said if you use a summon you get fewer runes for the kill and the boss HP is buffed by 60% and their resistances are buffed by 50%. Not sure how true that is, but the Rellana fight definitely seemed a bit easier without the summon.

What I find interesting is many people saying SOTE is too hard and yet so far I haven’t had to Google tips, tricks, advice on bosses.

I accept it is early days for me but there hasn’t been a boss so far as bad as Malenia (imo). Or even Placidusax.

But then Malenia was my wall in ER, and im sure other people found her easy.
You ain’t seen nothing yet ! Just wait until some of the later bosses. Also, a lot depends on your build … this DLC has a strong bias toward melee ( especially greatshield ) builds with use of bleed or scarlet rot ailments. Like you, I didn’t have to Google anything for tips and hints … but I found many of the bosses hyper aggressive and unfun. You kill them by “cheese” tactics or pure luck/RNG. Not once did I enjoy any of the boss fights. Stark contrast to my experience with the base game which was sublime.

Last edited:
Associate
Spent a while bashing a big flowery tree boss thing down... Got excited when I thought I'd conquered it but it turns out it was phase one of three.

I'll leave that for another day lol.
This is me with every phase boss in Elden Ring... 'Oh nice, that wasn't too hard!' - immediately the next phase is absolute carnage.

Associate
Spent a while bashing a big flowery tree boss thing down... Got excited when I thought I'd conquered it but it turns out it was phase one of three.

I'll leave that for another day lol.
That's actually one of the fairer boss fights in the DLC. It doesn't have a bloated health pool or a 5 minute long combo attack. It's weak to magic ; given it's a plant probably susceptible to fire too ... but I can't confirm that.

Soldato
Managed to crack the lion yesterday but the knight boss in Ensis is a pretty tough. I'm having to use both summons (Leda and Tiche) to even get beyond the 50% damage mark. I think I may have to swap out Tiche, upgrade and then try out Lhutel and then play around with frostbite type damage effects too.

I have no issue whatsoever using tips and guides; I would say my enjoyment was greatly increased by using guides when I played through the base game as I would have missed / misunderstood quite a bit of content.

Soldato
Managed to crack the lion yesterday but the knight boss in Ensis is a pretty tough. I'm having to use both summons (Leda and Tiche) to even get beyond the 50% damage mark. I think I may have to swap out Tiche, upgrade and then try out Lhutel and then play around with frostbite type damage effects too.

I have no issue whatsoever using tips and guides; I would say my enjoyment was greatly increased by using guides when I played through the base game as I would have missed / misunderstood quite a bit of content.

Try without the supporting NPC character summon and use just your own. As I mentioned in my earlier post - I believe boss health and resistances are buffed when you use an NPC summon.

Also, I’d definitely recommend upgraded mimic tear over Tiche.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also remember, Mimic tear will use anything you have on your hotbar without is going out of your inventory...... a Blessing of Marika is a good one.

Last edited:
Associate
Try without the supporting NPC character summon and use just your own. As I mentioned in my earlier post - I believe boss health and resistances are buffed when you use an NPC summon.

Not sure if resistances get buffed, but the health pool certainly does. The other problem in this DLC ( and to a lesser extent in the base game ) is that quite often your summons do virtually nothing ... they just amble around sniffing the air or picking daisies. Their AI needs some serious work, but I think the mobility of the bosses is another factor ... the summons simply can't keep up.

Soldato
Downed Rellana today. Tried a few times with a summon + mimic. Got spanked.

Two attempts with just me + mimic and downed him. He was a tricky bleeder though!

I remember reading something ages ago that said if you use a summon you get fewer runes for the kill and the boss HP is buffed by 60% and their resistances are buffed by 50%. Not sure how true that is, but the Rellana fight definitely seemed a bit easier without the summon.

What I find interesting is many people saying SOTE is too hard and yet so far I haven’t had to Google tips, tricks, advice on bosses.

I accept it is early days for me but there hasn’t been a boss so far as bad as Malenia (imo). Or even Placidusax.

But then Malenia was my wall in ER, and im sure other people found her easy.

I was writing a long reply then until I realised you hadn't made a typo for Renalla.

Associate
I think I've swept up all the bosses so onto the final one now and I can't see myself managing it...
If you can't, use a larval tear to respec into a "shield poke" build ... only other alternative is a dex/perfumer build. The final boss invalidates most playstyles, unfortunately.

Associate
Making my way through the base game on PS5 right now and it's fully got me addicted once again. I'm spending way too much time just getting lost in the tombs and fighting random minor bosses that appear, it's great. I've not really played it since completing it on PC almost 2 years ago so it's a lot of fun getting back into it.

I'm possibly a little over levelled for where I am currently - although because it's been so long since I've fought some of these bosses I'm getting a bit of a reality check until it all comes flooding back. Beat the Red Wolf yesterday and completely forgot how that fight starts... Immediately lose 70% of my HP before remembering what to do!

I'm using the Dualsense Edge controller this time (vs. the standard PS5 controller when I first played it on PC) and mapping one of the back paddles to sprint/dodge has been such a nice quality of life change for me.

Soldato
I've been looking forward to this since it was announced, but now it's here I feel a little underwhelmed. It's definitely a learn to play complaint but I get ripped by the adds but I find the bosses to be fairly comfortable. I feel a little lost with all of the platforming, I see places that I want to get to and no idea how to find a way to it. The fact that I'm struggling with flu/covid is probably leading my grumpy opinion.

Soldato
Awww man; I just cannot do Rellana at all. Tried various things and managed to get her to the twin moon phase several times but by then, both summons are dead and I'm just too uncoordinated to fight her 1v1. I decided to switch back to the base game to level up and discovered another cave, which leads to a Divine tower (which I could not access as I skipped the "snake fight" too). I've no idea how I missed that but I really want to explore the new Altus area in the DLC.

Is there anywhere safe exploring aside from the East, just North / West of Ensis which will not break the game / lock off areas without doing Rellana or do I simply need to "get better".

Soldato
Awww man; I just cannot do Rellana at all. Tried various things and managed to get her to the twin moon phase several times but by then, both summons are dead and I'm just too uncoordinated to fight her 1v1. I decided to switch back to the base game to level up and discovered another cave, which leads to a Divine tower (which I could not access as I skipped the "snake fight" too). I've no idea how I missed that but I really want to explore the new Altus area in the DLC.

Is there anywhere safe exploring aside from the East, just North / West of Ensis which will not break the game / lock off areas without doing Rellana or do I simply need to "get better".
Have you been to Belarut, to the west of the starting point?
Also South of Ensis?
and
You can skip Relanna by finding a spirit spring to get up behind the fort of reprimand but it will mess up some NPC stuff if you go much further north than that. Or you can just go here to do this small fort

Last edited:
Soldato

I did try with the mimic but I suspect my build is crap overall, so crap in ergo crap out :)

I've had to step away from Rellana; Trying some other stuff back in the base game. To wit; I somehow fluked Malenia after the 20th attempt but the wall for me was Radagon/Elden beast.

Back
Top Bottom