Electric scooters and the law

Soldato
It's not really that simple...
If you change the definition of ebike to be a powered vehicle which you don't need to pedal that includes pretty much every vehicle on the road. So all cars are now classed as ebikes and are limited to the same power/speed restrictions?

Id like to see how far you get in a car limited to 250w.

That said if you need to change legislation it’s not that difficult to do it properly and put in a proper legal framework for them.

Soldato
That said if you need to change legislation it’s not that difficult to do it properly and put in a proper legal framework for them.
It is difficult, that's why we generally don't have specific rules for this type of thing.
It's much easier to have a blanket rules like "any self-propelled vehicle is defined as a motor vehicle" rather than having different definitions for different self-propelled vehicles. You'd be forever trying to patch up loopholes.

Soldato
It's not really that simple...
If you change the definition of ebike to be a powered vehicle which you don't need to pedal that includes pretty much every vehicle on the road. So all cars are now classed as ebikes and are limited to the same power/speed restrictions?

My intention was to classify eScooters as eBikes, not declassify eBikes..

It's complicated and stupid to create a new class of motorcycle (https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-requirements) when it's bleedin obvious that eScooters/eBikes are pretty much the same thing for the same people achieving the same purpose..

Arguably this is a chance to simplify things..

Soldato
My intention was to classify eScooters as eBikes, not declassify eBikes..

Ok, i see. I still don't think that would be simple. What differentiates an escooter from other vehicles?
Want to drive a car but don't have a licence? Just limit it to 15mph and call it an escooter.
Motorbike failed it's MOT? Limit to 15mph, call it an escooter and keep riding it on the road.

Soldato
It is difficult, that's why we generally don't have specific rules for this type of thing.
It's much easier to have a blanket rules like "any self-propelled vehicle is defined as a motor vehicle" rather than having different definitions for different self-propelled vehicles. You'd be forever trying to patch up loopholes.

It’s not that difficult. A legal framework exists for ebikes and other types of vehicle, there is no reason why one couldn’t exist for light weight personal self propelled vehicles. If you were even that concerned you could even make it so those vehicles had to be type approved by a 3rd party or the DfT but that would push up costs.

Ok, i see. I still don't think that would be simple. What differentiates an escooter from other vehicles?
Want to drive a car but don't have a licence? Just limit it to 15mph and call it an escooter.
Motorbike failed it's MOT? Limit to 15mph, call it an escooter and keep riding it on the road.

You aren’t thinking this through, there are more requirements that if something had a 15mph limit. For instance the 250w power limit, the bigger the vehicle, the lower it goes when you are power limited.

Soldato
there is no reason why one couldn’t exist for light weight personal self propelled vehicles.

Yes, that's what I mean. You could easily include any type of self-propelled vehicle (and have a weight limit if you want so it's any lightweight self-propelled vehicle) but it wouldn't be easy to only include escooters without any other type of vehicle.

I suppose that's maybe not a huge issue though? Just have a free-for-all of any type of self-propelled vehicle limited to 250w/15mph allowed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, that's what I mean. You could easily include any type of self-propelled vehicle (and have a weight limit if you want so it's any lightweight self-propelled vehicle) but it wouldn't be easy to only include escooters without any other type of vehicle.

I'd say the real issue is that EAPC's (eBikes) where bodged in the law and actually they could have simplified things hugely by creating a new class (as per the linked motorcycle categories above) that is electrically powered, <250W, <15.5mph and even add a weight/size restriction, i.e. < 30kg and a max of 2 wheel inline with a width of < 50cm..

State you need no licence, insurance or registration for that class with a minimum age of 14 and must comply with all rules that apply to cycles..

As mentioned, other countries manage to be far more forward looking and promoting smaller, cleaner transport, we are being so backwards.. Just look at our EV handling in general..

Associate
OP
Seems to be a few ebikes on Gumtree and FB market place. I guess it's pot luck if the battery is any good! But kinda nearer my £500 budget!

Anyone know now to check a battery or is it just going to be a gamble.

Associate
OP
Good luck balancing a Harley at 15mph :p

Soldato
Just look at how these things work in Europe if you want examples of how to do it. It’s literally the U.K. dragging it’s feet on this.

In France, at the age of 14 you can drive one of these:
https://www.engadget.com/hands-on-citroen-ami-ev-133032057.html

Imagine the outrage of someone proposed that in the U.K.

Outrage because?

Those are gimped cars available on a gimped licence available from the age of 14 and are expensive for their performance. Also the rental company isn't letting anyone under 18 rent one so an actual 14 year old would need mum and dad to pay ~7 grand for the vehicle.

If we get the training and similar low bar licence for anaemic vehicles in the UK then what's the irresponsibility to be upset about.

Caporegime
Seems to be a few ebikes on Gumtree and FB market place. I guess it's pot luck if the battery is any good! But kinda nearer my £500 budget!

Anyone know now to check a battery or is it just going to be a gamble.

It's the same issue though, get caught using it, get points on your license potentially

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom