Electric shavers

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Oh yeah that's a point, with the Braun and Phillips that's the same too, the cleaning solution also lubricates the blades (and leaves an oily texture on the plastic head top areas) - The same oily residue is left on the Panasonic too so that confirms the sachet contains lubricant as well same as the other brands.

Soldato
I
Oh yeah that's a point, with the Braun and Phillips that's the same too, the cleaning solution also lubricates the blades (and leaves an oily texture on the plastic head top areas) - The same oily residue is left on the Panasonic too so that confirms the sachet contains lubricant as well same as the other brands.
Im going to clean mine in the station once a week or every other because the proper cleaning solution oils the blades , making the solution last until it evaporates, so getting 2-3 months from 1 sachet.. Plus it means giving the shaver a thorough good clean every so often with the proper cleaning solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
used to use the Braun cleaning spray ,
but, you can't really combine a detergent and an oil in a cleaning station to provide a hygienic solution, a detergent alone would be better and then its easy to just apply some oil when its dry.,
and/or use some pre-shave on face too.

Soldato
I'm trying to decide over the Braun 9 series pro or the Phillips. Just can't decide
In 2 minds.....The Philips seems to have the cheapest replacement blades and cleaning cartridges.

Edit - Went for the Braun...I like the Series 3 that is now falling apart, lasted for 10 years.
All reviews on shavers say foil blades cuts closer than the rotary blades, but rotary can cut longer whiskers than foil.. So if you like a bit of stubble go rotary, if not go foil, but also reviews say the rotary shavers pull sometimes, but I guess if your whiskers are quite long all shavers will pull.

Edit: I was really considering getting the braun 6 or 7 just because it has less blades than the panasonic, but the hype about how close shave you get with the panasonic 5blade won me over. I just hope I will be able to shave under my nose without cutting my lip.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Do you leave the shaver permanently in the cleaner/charger dock? Obvs take it out for use but then just put it back in?
Nope in the travel case when not charging ;p

In 2 minds.....The Philips seems to have the cheapest replacement blades and cleaning cartridges.

Edit - Went for the Braun...I like the Series 3 that is now falling apart, lasted for 10 years.
Not bad! I used the Panasonic today and felt it did a fine job tanikgn care of a week of stubble. Very smooth finish, almost razor smooth.

Very comfortable too.

Caporegime
Which Braun did you go for? And why?
I went for the Series 6.

1 - As for why....I currently have braun so have some spare cleaning cartridges to use, don't want that go to waste.
2 - It's the cheapest between the Philips and Panasonic. In fact the Panasonic and Philips is not at their lowest price at the moment. They have been cheaper in the past. The Braun is actually on sale.
3 - I have used this Braun forever and it seems reliable for a decade until the self cleaning mode stopped working recently. I know it doesn't irritate my skin so happy to get the same again.
4 - I can rinse this one under the tap, I am not 100% on the other 2.

I actually ordered the Braun, then cancelled it because I thought i jumped in too fast and then looked into the other 2 a bit more. But in the end i went back to it because of the above reaons.

I'd get the Pansonic had it been at £104 (i think it was earlier this week?), it looks like a very smart device.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not bad! I used the Panasonic today and felt it did a fine job tanikgn care of a week of stubble. Very smooth finish, almost razor smooth.
This was the reason for me ordering the panasonic over the braun because of everyone raving about how close of a shave you get... Did it pull at all or take lots of passes over the same area to get rid of the week of stubble, as foil shavers are not great at dealing with long stubble/whiskers?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This was the reason for me ordering the panasonic over the braun because of everyone raving about how close of a shave you get... Did it pull at all or take lots of passes over the same area to get rid of the week of stubble, as foil shavers are not great at dealing with long stubble/whiskers?
I did have to do a couple of passes on long stubble as it's been like a week but far fewer passes than what the 9240s required which is what impressed me the most. My face feels like it's been shaved with a razor but minus the burn that cokes with it lol.

It has a sensor that adjusts the head speed etc depending on what the stubble is like so I guess that is helping along with the more ergonomic head.

Soldato
Im a tad shocked how much the replacement blades are for the Panasonic es-lv97, when the blades for the Braun series 7 over £30 cheaper..

Im guessing that would put anyone off buying the Panasonic, as Im thinking of changing to the Braun, unless the Panasonic totally blows me away.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's the outer foil and inner blade pack - The outer foil cart they recommend to replace once a year (similar to Braun), the inner 2 blades the manual says every 2 years/ And then you factor in the Panasonic has 5x blades.

Soldato
I can only see both the outer foil and inner blades to buy as a pack for the es-lv97, hopefully they will be cheaper when I need to replace mine.. I have also taken out a 2yrs insurance with mine, so Ill try and get the insurance to cough up for the blades/foils :D

Edit: found a outer foil pack at last,, at a slightly more affordable price https://www.shavers.co.uk/panasonic...MIgpGfiOHP-wIVn4BQBh0rMwv_EAQYDiABEgLnlfD_BwE and here but it doesnt say it fits the 97 even though the number is the same on the pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-...72&hvtargid=pla-627848771437&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
Soldato
Have I missed any discussion on the best for doing your own hair?

I tend to shave mine down to a 1 in the winter so I can wear a nice thick beanie and not have messed up hair when i take it off.

My old Wahl set from Argos about 15 years ago has given up the ghost though.

Soldato
not sure there are any good hybrid razers that could do beard and hair - blade wouldn't last long, panasonic has comb widget you can mount on top of existing head which would do it (bar the blade life)

blade cost - braun 9 blades are similar price to pansaonic - braun 7 isn't a 'linear' motor like the panasonic ,

if you like the shaver worth buying a few blades in advance if you see offers, my older 3 blade panasonic only being retired because blades are in short supply and £50, more than a replacement new generation 21.
older ones didn't have this stupid AI speed control, where you usually have to wait for it to respond when you shave a tougher bit, or, if it were going faster for neck, you could make one pass if it decided to go fast -
enough comments about that on the excellent shavercheck blog and comments there;
also when it changes speed it slows temporarily so can get some ripped hairs.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom