Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We do not want to be putting companies off investing in renewables!
It's largely the older ROC's contracts which are system price + subsidy, that made an absolute killing because they were written when no one expected wholesale prices to get so high. The newer Contracts for Difference did take the mick so badly. Renewables won't be disincentivised if older contracts are brought into line with more recent contracts, it still pays.

Last edited:
yes -
the chancellor had put in a new windfall tax for the legacy renewables companies, who do not currently have cfd contracts, where they would automatically have to refund tax payer when costs are high.

I'm still surprised that the cfd repayment impact on the current £2.5K epg is so low, £40 odd pounds per earlier post.

I don't know for sure if true but whilst I accept that any windfall tax to UK would be relatively small (if for arguments sake only 5% of shells business was in the UK then any windfall tax would only be 5% due our way)

but I was watching a stream which claimed even ignoring that shell had managed to get out of paying hardly any tax to the UK over the last 5 years, windfall tax or not.

as a normal person I have to pay tax, depending on my salary 40% worth. As an employee I get no rebates on my fuel to get to work or heating my home when I WFH.

if I were a small business owner whilst I still have to pay tax, I can offset fuel, heating and materials costs. My mate owns a business with - I can't remember the figures exactly but medium 6 figure turn over and yet he (legally) pays less tax than an employee earning say 40k.

but then you get big business like Amazon or in this case shell. I do not believe for one second they pay the tax they should in any remotely fair system .
(I don't expect that will change any time soon either).
sorry but of a ramble.

edit. better written

Last edited:
but then you get big business like Amazon or in this case shell.
Amazon is, still, a different case - the product is from abroad, not uk territory, so they attribute value added gain to foreign countries, but can also (like shell)offset uk liability against capital investment,
those newly announced super automated fulfillment centres & layoff at other sites.

If we were still in europe and the new shell Netherlands worlds biggest green hydrogen plant was here, or they had higher off shore renewables investment here, all with associated employment maybe we'd feel different.

it's great that energy prices are falling ....... but unless infrastructure is put in place won't it just happen again? or are Frances nuclear reactors all serviced & online now and the faulty interconnects fixed now so we are past the perfect storm?
how much new renewable energy is likely to be online before next winter (because it's not like we have any new nuclear ready in the next 6 months)

Last edited:
Now that the temp is not forecasted to go below 0 again (where I am at least) some of the hysteria earlier in this thread is hilarious.

- 1m DD's were not sacrificed
- no rolling black outs
- expenditure on solar panels pointless
- guardian unable to gloat about freezing pensioners keeping warm on buses all day
- no civil disobediance
- Rishi still PM
- no recession
- no general election

Good job OC lol :D

Now that the temp is not forecasted to go below 0 again (where I am at least) some of the hysteria earlier in this thread is hilarious.

- no rolling black outs
- guardian unable to gloat about freezing pensioners keeping warm on buses all day
- no civil disobediance
- Rishi still PM
- no recession
- no general election

What a strange individual you are, to gloat whilst so many people are suffering.

- no rolling black outs
- no civil disobediance
- Rishi still PM
- no recession
- no general election

I don't think many expexpected rolling blackouts. That would have been majorly unlucky.

You say no recession. And that's technically true by the slimmest of margins. But certainly feels like one.

I also don't think many thought rishi wouldn't last. He was the one the tories should have always put there.

Temp could easily easily go below zero. Watch the latest met Office deep dive. It's really interesting piece actually.

Last edited:
I don't think many expexpected rolling blackouts. That would have been majorly unlucky.

You say no recession. And that's technically true by the slimmest of margins. But certainly feels like one.

I also don't think many thought rishi wouldn't last. He was the one the tories should have always put there.

Temp could easily easily go below zero. Watch the latest met Office deep dive. It's really interesting piece actually.

You might want to reacquaint yourself with some of the earlier posts in this thread.

Its typical of this thread though that someone posts 8 good news things and all the responses are either personal attacks or revisionism lol

Not looking 'wrong' on the internet is clearly more important to some than pensioners freezing.

Wouldnt know but youre right the same doom scrollers got that all wrong too.
seems someone needs to explain to you about worst case scenarios...... the rolling blackouts was always hoped to never happen.
and as for not a. recession.... indeed.... worst performing economy of the G7, inflation into double figures and some people unable to cook meals AND heat their home in what is meant to be a 1st world country.

everything is fan bloody tastic.

PS it was -2 here this morning and had to scrape ice off the car.
but then like you said maybe it is fine where you are at least .. which seems like the typical I am ok so screw everyone attitude which so many people have these days and is partly why we are where we are. so long as it's not me or mine getting thrown under the bus then who cares right?
now... if we dodge some of the worst case scenarios that is great...... but that does not mean the UK is in a good place right now and you gloating when so much is going wrong is in horrible bad taste imo

Last edited:
seems someone needs to explain to you about worst case scenarios...... the rolling blackouts was always hoped to never happen.
and as for not a. recession.... indeed.... worst performing economy of the G7, inflation into double figures and some people unable to cook meals AND heat their home in what is meant to be a 1st world country.

everything is fan bloody tastic.

PS it was -2 here this morning and had to scrape ice off the car.
but then like you said maybe it is fine where you are at least .. which seems like the typical I am ok so screw everyone attitude which so many people have these days and is partly why we are where we are. so long as it's not me or mine getting thrown under the bus then who cares right?

I suggest you also take a good look back through the thread at the hysteria around the rolling black out stuff - it wasn't 'worst case' to the disaster fetishists.

The country is not in recession and I didn't mention inflation but I'll let you have that little bit of doom scrolling if it makes you feel better.

This has been and was always going to be a typical mild British winter.

You might want to reacquaint yourself with some of the earlier posts in this thread.

Its typical of this thread though that someone posts 8 good news things and all the responses are either personal attacks or revisionism lol

Not looking 'wrong' on the internet is clearly more important to some than pensioners freezing.

But I don't think there were many. Rolling blackouts was a worst case (short of putin going truly bananas) scenario.

UK is in poor shape. Life is grim for many.

The full effects of cost of living are only just playing out. Fortunately looks like the outlook is improving. But the state of the country is nothing to be proud of.

More people in a worse position is not something I'd be claiming as a success.

Yup, the economy is not shrinking yet but it’s also not growing at the pace of everyone else so it is shrinking in the global marketplace.

There is also a chronic labour shortage which isn’t going to be resolved anytime soon and that is stifling growth.

British people don’t want immigrants, have stuck our fingers up to the EU and younger people already here can barley afford a house let alone to bring up 3+ children needed to rebalance and rebuild the productive element of our population.

We are sleep walking into irrelevance.

Last edited:
I suggest you also take a good look back through the thread at the hysteria around the rolling black out stuff - it wasn't 'worst case' to the disaster fetishists.

The country is not in recession and I didn't mention inflation but I'll let you have that little bit of doom scrolling if it makes you feel better.

People being realistic and worried and venting their frustration at the shambles via this thread is of no surprise that it is mostly negative. Tbh it has been a horrible year for myself and many others I know with honestly not a lot positive. Although I haven't seen a lot of personal attacks for anything positive posted.

A recession and inflation are linked though. They are discussed because they are part of the same. In regards to the recession and where things are, have you even read the news to understand how bad things are?

They are not good in any way to suggest we should be just going "well we aren't in recession so it is okay". It is looking to get worse as our energy bills are still set to rise in April significantly again along with other things like council tax, for instance because Crydon has been so innept to go bankrupt twice in three years they have increased their council tax by 15%.

As for the weather wise, temps ahve still been in -10 during January and we had that massive cold spell in December down to -15/-16 and was cold. Yes overall it has been average but it has had major peaks and troughs that have hit a lot of people hard when they have been struggling with the cost of putting the heating on, being able to afford to cook, adding in that food on average in a month is up around 17% average however the base ingredients such as vegetable oils, butters, breads etc show it is closer to a 40-50% increase which is massive just to have the basics to live on if you are not one to be purchasing the luxury items where they have had a slower cost increase.

It was deffo mostly worst case on the rolling blackouts, some people liked to say they would be okay as battery and off grid but nothing to what you are saying. it is like you have come in to this thread and just gone lets stir the pot and annoy people whom are struggling and stressed with everything going on and just pulling at threads till you get the reaction you want which seems to be someone respond in the manor you suggested with personal attacks etc.

Yup, the economy is not shrinking yet but it’s also not growing at the pace of everyone else so it is shrinking in the global marketplace.

There is also a chronic labour shortage which isn’t going to be resolved anytime soon and that is stifling growth.

British people don’t want immigrants, have stuck our fingers up to the EU and younger people already here can barley afford a house let alone to bring up 3+ children needed to rebalance and rebuild the productive element of our population.

We are sleep walking into irrelevance.

Depending on how AI goes we could be begging for immigration soon.

What is the fertility rate now? Its heading towards 1 isn't it? You've got the combination of squeezing those who want kids out of it and the increasing appeal of not having kids.

2 biggest things for future for me are the environment and also how AI changes the landscape

Energy and all the other costs we are facing really have taken people down a tier in earnings. Very few have gotten away with not cutting back.

Last edited:
We will almost certainly see negative temps again, at night, maybe not during the day.
Typically you get frost up until april in the uk and can even be towards the end of May.

Most people wont see it, since by then the suns up early and it goes quickly.

The cold temps are being somewhat banished right now as we are likely to see some cloud and wet weather which is normally warmer as the clouds in effect act as a blanket.

Back
Top Bottom