Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

dont look at % rates of rise and fall.......they are different due to the huge difference in price per unit...

Casing point

Leccy is 30p.....drop it 2p and thats a decrease of 9%
Gas is 10p....drop it 2p and thats a decrease of 20%

Yet they have both dropped 2p in unit costs......
Well in monetary terms, my prices have fallen by around £200/year.

These standing charges are disgusting and only getting worse.

We're being ripped off.

Suck it up buttercup, the network and supply has to be paid for and it's not that much really .... At least that was the response I got when stating my feelings on the SC over the last few months.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Its fairly explicit what the standing charge covers.
You can argue about how the failed suppliers should have been better regulated. But thier failure is what you're paying for. Plus a load of other non usage based things.
It's picking up the tab for the failed suppliers that's galling, everything else I can appreciate.

Anyone know what EON will do with those of us who signed in to a fixed that was quite high just before the price cap came out with regards to the price drop in July? I can't recall the tariff I signed into and on my bill it currently states Next Flex.

I assume prices will be dropping below the cap price July 1st? If so wondering whether EON will pass on the saving or not? I get the feeling Next Flex doesn't actually mean it's variable rate.
NextFlex is their standard variable - I got a mail the other day saying they are dropping prices from 1st July so will update automatically

Eugh, just tried switching from EDF to Octopus but I can't as apparently my meter is down on the national meter database as being prepaid when it isn't :rolleyes: Has anyone else has to get their current supplier to update the info before they can move? No doubt it won't be quick as EDF are useless.

Thats great news, but it seems they been selective, willing to sub some older tariff extensions and tough luck to others. I think they have always been more willing to subsidise EV tariffs though.

Anyone else on GO should try the same.
I think it depends on which agent you get. Being extra nice definitely helped. I've done this twice now and they've extended both times, thankfully.

I had this happen with my old tariffs and didn't do anything to instigate it, Octopus just rolled over the tariff dates....unfortunately that stopped at the start of this year but can't complain at paying 14p/Kwh for electricity from 2019 all the way throughout the energy crisis.
Gas is still on the v1 tracker which is capped at 6p/Kwh and 15p day rate.

Eugh, just tried switching from EDF to Octopus but I can't as apparently my meter is down on the national meter database as being prepaid when it isn't :rolleyes: Has anyone else has to get their current supplier to update the info before they can move? No doubt it won't be quick as EDF are useless.
I had similar issue where my new gas smart meter was not registered in the "national database" by Eon but the new supplier, Octopus, eventually registered it themselves after a few weeks. Surprised Octopus can not update the details for you.

Its fairly explicit what the standing charge covers.
You can argue about how the failed suppliers should have been better regulated. But thier failure is what you're paying for. Plus a load of other non usage based things.
It's picking up the tab for the failed suppliers that's galling, everything else I can appreciate.

Being a little pedantic here, but the picking up the tab for the failed suppliers really means securing the money for the consumers who were owed money by their suppliers, plus compensating the other companies for taking on new customers that they would be forced to sell energy too at a loss.

I think we would all agree that we would all be wanting, our money secured should we be with an energy company and they owe us money, and that we would all want to be able to move onto a "normal" tariff should our energy company fail.

Imagine if you were unlucky to be with say Bulb and instead of being moved to a capped deal you were moved to a deal that had your typical bill placed at £4250 a year (which is roughly what it would have been!)

Being a little pedantic here, but the picking up the tab for the failed suppliers really means securing the money for the consumers who were owed money by their suppliers, plus compensating the other companies for taking on new customers that they would be forced to sell energy too at a loss.

I think we would all agree that we would all be wanting, our money secured should we be with an energy company and they owe us money, and that we would all want to be able to move onto a "normal" tariff should our energy company fail.

Imagine if you were unlucky to be with say Bulb and instead of being moved to a capped deal you were moved to a deal that had your typical bill placed at £4250 a year (which is roughly what it would have been!)
i agree..... but it highlights why public services should never be privatised.

the whole notion of "market forces" does not work with essential services. a poorly run private company can take the cream in the good times but when things go wrong cant be allowed to simply fail, so we the taxpayer get all the stick but no carrot when things are going well.

No, I just asked nicely, really nicely and they agreed. Dates instantly updated in my app.
I think its the go tariff, you might have got lucky, but there is certain tariffs they willing to let people stay on and be a loss leader.

Those who joined tracker very early on also got to stay on low SC and better unit rate caps, but those who joined later are told they have to move on to the updated tariff. Seems to be a decision they have made to treat people different depending on which tariff they on and when they signed up to that tariff. You are on a 2021 tariff which I know is well before the cut off date they used for tracker.

End of the day there is no harm in asking, as you have proven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom