Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Had an email from Shell a short while ago ...

Screenshot-2023-06-22-18-47-11-33-93b7fc0429a0e97afffb8ed9ac823d5b.jpg

having been through the process we were dropped on a pretty unfavourable rate with the new supplier so don't think it was really a loss for them!

Agree although I was thinking recent (I was moved as well and was on a slightly better deal than default)

Bulb being the largest one was what I was referencing.
By the time they went the government were picking up a good chunk of the issue but until then the energy caps were below the market rates.
Any new customers they were in effect forced to operate at a loss on.

i agree..... but it highlights why public services should never be privatised.

the whole notion of "market forces" does not work with essential services. a poorly run private company can take the cream in the good times but when things go wrong cant be allowed to simply fail, so we the taxpayer get all the stick but no carrot when things are going well.

I agree now.
We are now in the worst position possible with a free market system being interefered with by the government (via a regulator)
Just take it back into public hands ffs.

Some of the DDs on here are eye watering…….id be in tears of i was paying that each month for utilities

It is what it is, all of the lightbulbs in the house are LED's, the missues works from home, the boy only works part-time so spends most of his time on his Xbox, his missus works from the livingroom doing eyelashes n stuff like that, so theres always lights on and something going off...

It is what it is, all of the lightbulbs in the house are LED's, the missues works from home, the boy only works part-time so spends most of his time on his Xbox, his missus works from the livingroom doing eyelashes n stuff like that, so theres always lights on and something going off...
Working from home costs pennies a day……..except for lashes in the living room with lights etc etc

I think its the go tariff, you might have got lucky, but there is certain tariffs they willing to let people stay on and be a loss leader.

Those who joined tracker very early on also got to stay on low SC and better unit rate caps, but those who joined later are told they have to move on to the updated tariff. Seems to be a decision they have made to treat people different depending on which tariff they on and when they signed up to that tariff. You are on a 2021 tariff which I know is well before the cut off date they used for tracker.

End of the day there is no harm in asking, as you have proven.
I don’t know whether there are any hard and fast rules. But, I simply asked whether I could remain on my current tariff to charge the car and he agreed. Call was done and dusted within a few minutes. It must be the GO tariff.

Working from home costs pennies a day……..except for lashes in the living room with lights etc etc

One of the other issues is the huge heat imbalance with it being a 3 storey, we can be roasting upstairs with windows open, and downstairs its cold AF, so they put the heating on..
Boils my pee when I come in from work and its on 22oC, second thing I do after I walk in the house is turn to down to 18, but at least its actually warm at the mo so it isn't on at all, but we now have a load of flipping fans on all the time..

I couldnt jump the queue on Octopus tracker even though I am already on it for gas.

Peak time might be scary when July starts, I am on the new Agile then and it is losing EPG subsidy.

Had the email. Octopus reckon my gas bill will go down £412 a year and electricity down £168. DD still at £270 for now but once the solar and battery goes in should cut my costs even more.

Standing charges
Gas 27.4p
Electric 47.9p

Its fairly explicit what the standing charge covers.
You can argue about how the failed suppliers should have been better regulated. But thier failure is what you're paying for. Plus a load of other non usage based things.
And for how long? Where can I find a detailed repayment plan and it's timeline of the debt that I'm paying off?

Last edited:
I couldnt jump the queue on Octopus tracker even though I am already on it for gas.

Peak time might be scary when July starts, I am on the new Agile then and it is losing EPG subsidy.

I think I'll be moving back to Go. ~30p/9.5p is a (relatively) decent price. With Agile prices creeping up lately, and the EPG coming to an end, that tariff has likely had its day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom