Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

i properly raged at an AI customer support yesterday.... so much so they lost me as a customer. I wanted to contact Now Broadband online support and got a chat bot. it did not understand anything ragarding my bill (broadband went from £22 a month to £43 and next month will be £46.50 and i wanted to negotiate a better price for another lock in period).... but the thing which made me rage quit was that it did not understand "speak to human" or "put me through to customer support" or contact support

if you dont want to put me through to a customer support agent then fine, tell me you cant.............. but dont say you dont understand the question.

Those are not A.I, it is a flow chat bot.
I can't stand them.

Had an email from Shell a short while ago ...

Screenshot-2023-06-22-18-47-11-33-93b7fc0429a0e97afffb8ed9ac823d5b.jpg

Had a notification from SO energy and looked at Octopus Flexible as well

Between the three there is 1.64p difference in their Gas SC, 1.63p difference in their Electric SC equating to £11.94 difference over the year based on 365 days at those rates

Their unit costs vary by 0.103p for Gas and 0.03p for electric

We are heavy users, way way over "average" and the overall "competition" between the three gives a potential best deal saving of £17.77 a year ...

I think it is fair to say Octopus are brilliant........ better than most energy companies .... but only really if you use one of their experimental tariffs.... which unless you have solar, or a home battery or an EV, or using tracker , would likely mean having to make significant organisational changes to how you run stuff (so basically not really viable).

there is also agile or tracker which may save you money

I think it is fair to say Octopus are brilliant........ better than most energy companies .... but only really if you use one of their experimental tariffs.... which unless you have solar, or a home battery or an EV, or using tracker , would likely mean having to make significant organisational changes to how you run stuff (so basically not really viable).

there is also agile or tracker which may save you money
I have and EV and my man maths can't get their intelligence tariff to make economic sense (for me / our household)

E: SO Energy were the "cheapest" based on current / predicted energy use

Last edited:
I have and EV and my man maths can't get their intelligence tariff to make economic sense (for me / our household)

with 6hrs cheap energy can you not push all your white goods to those times, running over night...... I dont have IO yet (i will get this autumn) but the 7.5p offpeak will save me a lot and without the complexity of a house battery you can easily game it to get it to give you cheap slots elsewhere in the day

but then again, i have a house battery so can minimise my peak usage. IO peak is dropping quite a lot in July.

I am guessing you either have v cheap EV charging at work, or you do not do many miles? the savings for 1 full charge on my car alone would be significant (around 60kwh from 15-85% fill up)

Last edited:
Two of us working from home and washer / dishwasher etc on a few times a day .

Two teenage daughters whose main usage is before school and then 3.30 to 10.30ish. we could possibly shift a few things to a timer but would only get 1 load done which isn't particularly practical.

I almost exclusively charge at home ~35kwh for an almost full charge, 1-2 charges a week so not a particularly heavy user and nowhere near enough justification, I wouldn't even get a full charge in the 6 hour window

An interesting opinion piece on the BoE policy and the causes of inflation.
https://unherd.com/2023/06/the-bank-of-england-is-sacrificing-workers/

I was aware of previous wage - price spirals I hadn't thought of the reverse explicitly.

One wonders what levers the Government really have to deal with the underlying causes, plainly interest rates are a very crude tool that seem mostly to be hurting mortgage holders.

which SO contract are you considering -
their web site, maybe it's lying, seems to offer 2 year fixed's didn't know anyone did that

So Cinnamon Two Year 24 months

24 month fixed

Eco 7 Electricity
Day unit rate
24.63p / kWh
Night unit rate
16.11p / kWh
Standing charge
23.31p / day

Electricity
Unit rate
22.18p / kWh
Standing charge
23.31p / day

Gas
Unit rate
4.99p / kWh
Standing charge
26.6p / day

Exit fee
£30 / fuel
Payment Type
Direct Debit
Billing

No luck getting on the Electric tracker despite already being on Gas Tracker, just sent a link to the waiting list so that was a waste of 10 minutes listening to bagpipes.

their web site, maybe it's lying, seems to offer 2 year fixed's didn't know anyone did that

24 month fixed

Eco 7 Electricity
Day unit rate
24.63p / kWh
Night unit rate
16.11p / kWh
Standing charge
23.31p / day

Electricity
Unit rate
22.18p / kWh
Standing charge
23.31p / day

Gas
Unit rate
4.99p / kWh
Standing charge
26.6p / day

Exit fee
£30 / fuel
Payment Type
Direct Debit
Billing

I'm not sure it was a link from USwitch - I'll check out your link - cheers :) !

24 month fixed

Eco 7 Electricity
Day unit rate
24.63p / kWh
Night unit rate
16.11p / kWh
Standing charge
23.31p / day

Electricity
Unit rate
22.18p / kWh
Standing charge
23.31p / day

Gas
Unit rate
4.99p / kWh
Standing charge
26.6p / day

Exit fee
£30 / fuel
Payment Type
Direct Debit
Billing
cant find it ??? wish i could :)

1171 posts to digest here, so please forgive me asking a simple anxious question from an elderly poster who still has wits about him and if its been asked already.

Am with Octopus Energy, are they still the best of the bunch? Please dont ask me to go look at my kittywarts per hour or something, because back in the real world not many elderly folk do understand this stuff ... including me, scoff at me and belittle me if you must if it makes you feel better.

My Prob with Octopus so far is Ive built up a lot of credit with their over estimation of my monthly DD and when I ask for a refund. I've got to jump through hoops and even then accept their offer of a small percentage of my credit back, prices are supposed to be going down again, right?

My point is ... since I have credit at Octopus they seem reluctant to release, whoms bank is gaining interest on that credit? Its not mine, multiply that with hundreds of thousands Octopus customers positive bank balances ... its a lot of money.

Cant they just send me a bill each month with gas and electric meter reads each month and then I pay on a usage basis, not an assumption basis where they collect the interest from credit I accumulate with them?

Last edited:
01171 posts to digest here, so please forgive me asking a simple anxious question from an elderly poster who still has wits about him and if its been asked already.

Am with Octopus Energy, are they still the best of the bunch? Please dont ask me to go look at my killywarts per hour or something, because back in the real world not many elderly folk do understand this stuff ... including me, scoff at me and belittle me if you must if you must.

My Prob with Octopus so far is Ive built up a lot of credit with their over estimation of my monthly DD and when I ask for a refund. I've got to jump through hoops and even then accept their offer of a small percentage of my credit back, prices are supposed to be going down again, right?

My point is ... since I have credit at Octopus they seem reluctant to release, whoms bank is gaining interest on the credit? It’s not mine, multiply that with hundreds of thousands Octopus customers positive bank balances ... it’s a lot of money.
You can control your DD amount in your app/online. You can just reduce it and burn it down. It is normal to accumulate a little in the summer to help even out the higher costs in the winter.

Last edited:
Octopus are reluctant to do that though, gonna have to waste time and phone bills and call them again tomorrow I think? My attempts at getting or losing DD and just submitting my accurate meter reads with pictures seem to be falling on deaf ears.

Yes Yes Yes, but you dont seem to understand what I'm saying my friend, we all know the Energy company's love this strategy of accumulating our credit to pay for a winter balance, but who gets the interest, its them not us. I actually find this concept quite disgusting they think we cant manage our own finances, the people that cant pay and that really is a shame pay tough enough penaltys already with over priced pre pay metres without people likle us who pay on the dot furnishing their coffers even more by them keeping our credit in their banks and god knows interest amounting. Its disgusting IMHO.

I have tried to control my DD amount and reduce it, even got a bit of my accumulated credit back from Octopus but nowhere near all of it, to get it all back needs to jump through more hoops it seems, hard work and telephone calls at my expense, most folk wont do this, they know that ... mark my words, this company are getting greedy like the rest of them, they are not the same company as when i first joined at the beginning.

DD can be handy sometimes, but with greedy Energy companys and yes I include Octo amongst them that store our credit balance, who makes interest on it?

Finally folks and thanks, but what really is wrong with calling in your usage each Month and paying exactly what you owe, no more and no less? We have always been subject to random meter inspectors for those that lie and cheat and for those that cant or wont pay there bills in these harsh time get shoved on to pre pay meters. terrible practice to make the poorer suffer more with higher costs, crazy practise ... punish punish punish :(

I pay my way in all life, but it seems to me with Energy companys, they can do more or less what they like ... OFGEM are a complete waste of space IMHO too.

And before the usual full time argumentave contrarians come on and troll I see on these forums recently ... All I'm asking for is a system where I pay for what I use, no More or no Less, no more hidden profits should be accumulated from us ... terrible concept I know, LOL ... and if that means submittying meter reads each month and paying exatly that, whats wrong with that?

Back
Top Bottom