Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Thanks. I am not sure if these trackers all source from the same numbers, for different suppliers, that could include any additional charges they add to that number.

Seems a reasonable tarrif, from EDF, with a total of £50 exit fees if needed.

Yep, when I did a comparison on the MoneySavingExpert site the EDF tariff came up the best one for me. My fixed 3 year contract with EDF is just coming to an end so the days of 20p SC are coming to an end and I'm set to go on to the new EDF tariff on 1st Oct. EDF should be fitting a smart meter today and I'm considering cancelling on Monday to try the Octopus tracker but things aren't quite as clear cut as they were a year ago.... :confused:

You can switch to Tracker at any time, and can leave at any time - however if you leave you can't re-join for 9 months. Basically this is to prevent people switching backwards and forwards constantly based on their perception of what wholesale prices will do.

There is still a standing charge, which varies by region as do most of them. My standing charges are 38.72p/day for electricity and 27.47p/day for gas. Note that the 'formula' used to calculate the daily rates has changed a couple of times, so 'new joiners' to Tracker don't get quite as good a deal as those who joined a while ago...

See the FAQs at https://octopus.energy/tracker-faqs/
When your tracker renews you go onto the latest pricing.

Tracker is just in effect the same pricing you will get just faster.
As prices have been falling tracker has been better as its well ahead of the quarterly cap rates.
But that margin is now pretty close.
sorry, Its been a busy week, I've not had a chance to reply.
so over past year how have you found tracker ? c
an I get it even if i don't have a smart meter ?

The tracker isn't as good as maybe it used to be?

We don't have gas and to be fair for gas it seems really cheap, but electric it's not that significant.

We've only been on it a few months, but for example since 28th August to date it's not really been any cheaper in fact several days over the standard rate.

The week before that it was a bit cheaper.

I'm sure it is cheaper in the long term but I'm keeping an eye on it to see what happens over this winter.

The tracker isn't as good as maybe it used to be?

We don't have gas and to be fair for gas it seems really cheap, but electric it's not that significant.

We've only been on it a few months, but for example since 28th August to date it's not really been any cheaper in fact several days over the standard rate.

The week before that it was a bit cheaper.

I'm sure it is cheaper in the long term but I'm keeping an eye on it to see what happens over this winter.
The tracker isn't consistently cheaper than the going rate? What? I am outraged.

I don’t recall the tracker rate being higher than the SVR in the past two years. As time passes and providing utility prices are stable, the tracker and SVR prices will end up very closely aligned

Yeyeyeye

The point im making is people on this thread.... I can't be arsed to go find the post but the exact words were "it's always cheaper" and similar posts making out like it's some form of miracle tarrif.
It kinda was a miracle tariff for many when standard prices were still very high but wholesale prices day ahead had fallen a lot. Now in a rising market we see its not so good.

I don’t recall the tracker rate being higher than the SVR in the past two years. As time passes and providing utility prices are stable, the tracker and SVR prices will end up very closely aligned

markup-1000017596.png

It kinda was a miracle tariff for many when standard prices were still very high but wholesale prices day ahead had fallen a lot. Now in a rising market we see its not so good.

Yup will be keeping an eye on it.

So far it has been worth it, for the two months or whatever it's been, but last 2 weeks it's been about standard rate, if not a bit higher? I can't be arsed to work it out exactly, but it'd be close.

Tracker doesn't seem worth it.
Agile does.

If I wasn't going to agile I think I'd just get a fix. I doubt the tracker savings/costs are worth bothering with now

Tracker has been great for the past 18 months for me, cheaper every day than SVR sometimes significantly. I would say probably halved my energy bill compared to svr (including gas).

But, recently it is similarly priced for electricity. Gas is still cheaper but not by as much as it was.

I'm switching to intelligent go soon, but will stay on tracker for gas unless prices start spiking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom