Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Why do you think I'm being sarcastic? Typically you're into double digits of years before a system pays for itself so around three years is amazing. I'm very keen to see more details.

Edit:

I see you've posted above.

Is it £1,500 or £240?
Every home is different. Currently payback will be slower for me as I’m in a fixed energy deal. People now paying 55p a Kw will see a faster return and in October payback times will be even faster.

obviously you’re not convinced by solar power, maybe use your emotions on fighting the government outside 10 downing st.

Every home is different. Currently payback will be slower for me as I’m in a fixed energy deal. People now paying 55p a Kw will see a faster return and in October payback times will be even faster.

obviously you’re not convinced by solar power, maybe use your emotions on fighting the government outside 10 downing st.

I'm not convinced by what you've posted. Where did you get savings of £1,500 p.a. from?

Just a shame that the older systems claim 45p per kwh sold to the grid.

New ones max is 10p per khw.

Whos paying 55p per kWh?

There is an additional 30GW of wind connecting to the Grid in the next 5-6 years.
and the tax payer is on the hook for guaranteeing a minimum price to them if this electricity can't be used
- green hydrogen subsidy will help soak that up, might only have a 33% efficiency, but there again the difference between off-peak unit price and daytime is currently worse than that ratio.

Hi Michael,

A 12 panel system would be in the region of £4500-£5000, with battery storage it would be closer to £8000. So even if it managed to half your electric bill that’s a saving of £240 a year at the moment.

Kind Regards,

Luke Fairless

Sustainable Energy Engineering Ltd

4A Glover Ind Estate

Washington

Tyne & Wear

NE37 3ES

I already have solar panels so my return isn’t going to be great.

The increase in electricity from 1st of April and again in October will see faster payback times.

I also got my house valued recently and they said it would add value to the house.

I don't get what your point is. The quotes I've had to date haven't been that. If it was I would have been fine paying that. But it just isn't true.

The rate of return means I'd be getting at most 1/5th for a £9.5k outlay which means I'd save £34 a month in todays market. This then would take me 23 years to recoupe my outlay!

£16k was about double that with a battery bank to feed back in which means I was looking at around 11-12 year return. Not to mention I also then need £16k of monies now up front.

So at what point does that mean not affording £16k up front as a lump mean I can't afford £200 a month for electric?

Estimators for me for 8kw solar installation(£12k install) reckon about 20+ years to cover the cost. East/West facing roof reduces efficiency somewhat but changing to south facing is still 19 years.

Unsure if the figures are up to date but still doesnt seem worth while.

I don't get what your point is. The quotes I've had to date haven't been that. If it was I would have been fine paying that. But it just isn't true.

The rate of return means I'd be getting at most 1/5th for a £9.5k outlay which means I'd save £34 a month in todays market. This then would take me 23 years to recoupe my outlay!

£16k was about double that with a battery bank to feed back in which means I was looking at around 11-12 year return. Not to mention I also then need £16k of monies now up front.

So at what point does that mean not affording £16k up front as a lump mean I can't afford £200 a month for electric?
I don’t sell solar panels, I’m not here to make money or harm people. Why would I lie about the cost of fitting solar panels.

If you don’t have any money laying around then it’s not for you if it takes you 5-10 years to payback. The same as if you’re unable to save any money after being paid from working you’ll not be able to afford a 75%-80% increase in your electricity in October.
So I wouldn’t worry about what I’ve got to say. You’d be better off using your energy on having a riot in London.

I don’t sell solar panels, I’m not here to make money or harm people. Why would I lie about the cost of fitting solar panels.

I don't think anyone has said you're lying about the cost of fitting but you seem to have little idea about the payback period.

If you don’t have any money laying around then it’s not for you if it takes you 5-10 years to payback.

Payback is 10 years plus.

The same as if you’re unable to save any money after being paid from working you’ll not be able to afford a 75%-80% increase in your electricity in October.

Scaremonger much?

So I wouldn’t worry about what I’ve got to say. You’d be better off using your energy on having a riot in London.

We'd all be better off if you stopped posting guff.

I don't think anyone has said you're lying about the cost of fitting but you seem to have little idea about the payback period.

Payback is 10 years plus.

Scaremonger much?

We'd all be better off if you stopped posting guff.
Have you helped anyone fight their monthly bills? Hypocrite.

Estimators for me for 8kw solar installation(£12k install) reckon about 20+ years to cover the cost. East/West facing roof reduces efficiency somewhat but changing to south facing is still 19 years.

Unsure if the figures are up to date but still doesnt seem worth while.

Its not going to be for everyone, particularly if your a low energy user and could ride out the inflation.

However the reality is its going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Then there is the talk of EV adoption and hitting green targets nationally. The more the unit price creeps up the less payback time becomes for the installation, the way I see it is the government should be encouraging this and should have done so years ago not after a global panic triggers.

Lastly I can see it only pricking ears up for long term dwellers. Obviously not for short term renters and folk who want to be able to move at short notice etc. If your a home owner, and know you wont be moving anywhere else for a long while then its something to consider particularly if you now work from home more or consume more energy than the average person.

I thought this was interesting about Scotland

Overall it is a net exporter of electricity, last year sending 18 times more to England than it received back.
More bad journalism from the BBC. 18 times is completely irrelevant fact as England hardly sends any electricity to Scotland, so of course it's going to be may x the amount. If nothing was sent it would be infinite x the amount.

Have you helped anyone fight their monthly bills? Hypocrite.

I don't see how it's hypocritical to call you out on the guff you've posted.

I was quoted 4800 the other day. It adds 1800 to your house value and might reduce your bill by 1500 a year. There is a point of solar power.

You didn't explain how a £4,800 system is going to save £1,500 p.a. Care to have ago?

I don't see how it's hypocritical to call you out on the guff you've posted.

You didn't explain how a £4,800 system is going to save £1,500 p.a. Care to have ago?
What’s your problem? Why are you giving me a hard time? Are you having problems at home?
Leave me alone. Bully.

On the solar panel thing you will get around 700-900 kWh per year per 1kW of panel. A basic install is usually 4.5kW. That is 3,150-4,050 units per year. Work out from that how much it will save you.

Also it’s quite usual for people using batteries to top up on cheap rate electric overnight if their solar panels haven’t been able to fill them. That could be as low as 7.5p/kWh.

What’s your problem? Why are you giving me a hard time? Are you having problems at home?
Leave me alone. Bully.

Because you are posting nonsense?

You are crying, bully now, after being found out. £1500 pa saving. 55p per kwh (well above cap) to now 55%.

Your proof shows a saving of £240 per annum. You've also ignored the battery costs required, unless the sun shines for you all day in winter.

Back
Top Bottom