Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Since getting a smart meter and being able to read the usage on the IHD, I realise now just how much certain things use, I was averaging 0.10p , around 260w, boiled the kettle and it jumped to 3kw and £1.28ph. Now I realise why my usage went up so much using the electric shower.

You don’t need a smart meter to tell you how much energy a device uses, it’s written on the bottom of the device. Kettles are normally 3kw

I believe he said those people would receive their first payment in July and the 2nd in the autumn.

Ta, was worried about the rush on new TVs, suppose they can use Klarna ;)

Seriously though it should have been a credit on peoples bills or something, the amount of FB posts I have seen with folks discussing what they are treating themselves to with the £150 is ridiculous

I know it sounds greedy but that's disappointing. I'm already saving them money by doing the caring myself making us split the £650 because I live with him to care for him sucks. Yes some bills are shared but I have a life and bills separate to him and that could do a world of good with my cost of living.
There's £1,200 going spare.

So looks like we'll get the £150 + £650 + £400.
It's weird as we don't need any of it.

seemingly they can't identify 2nd homes and exclude them from rebates ... maybe Wales will ?

Chancellor doesn't seem to have detailed which profits from the companies are eligible for the windfall tax, or itemised how much money it represents from each company
Shell had taken a hit on russian asets it wrote off so I guess that will ironically offset against profits,
Rishi could have imposed a tax on any russian asset sales like chelsea.

Anyone else doing the sensible thing and banging straight into your energy suppliers coffers ?

Bottom line is that most will do this one way or another. If lower income families/people on benefits decide to use the money to purchase luxury goods then they'll likely find themselves struggling to heat or eat come winter. You won't be able to ask for a second payment.

I really dont understand why they don't just change taxes and benefits to do this.

Yes, there's fraud going on in both of those areas, but that will happen in any scheme as seen during covid. But with little cost to administer the relief package, you basically give the money to people who need it.

I really dont understand why they don't just change taxes and benefits to do this.

Yes, there's fraud going on in both of those areas, but that will happen in any scheme as seen during covid. But with little cost to administer the relief package, you basically give the money to people who need it.
I think they're scared of making any help permanent. They can push this as a one off to help people in the current crisis. Of course if things don't improve they're a bit ******, as are we.

Dunno whats a better solution - but you would have thought either:
a) locking the pot to suppliers so they can directly siphon the bill for the customer so that money doesn't really change hands [supplier gets paid, customer sees a transaction credit]
b) giving the public a voucher type credit that can only be spent on utility/fuel

If people are going to squander it on drink/fags/luxuries its not going to really help when the people that are struggling still didn't pay the electric/gas. Didn't they learn from the covid loan fraud?

Dunno whats a better solution - but you would have thought either:
a) locking the pot to suppliers so they can directly siphon the bill for the customer so that money doesn't really change hands [supplier gets paid, customer sees a transaction credit]
b) giving the public a voucher type credit that can only be spent on utility/fuel

If people are going to squander it on drink/fags/luxuries its not going to really help when the people that are struggling still didn't pay the electric/gas. Didn't they learn from the covid loan fraud?

Anything involving the power companies knowing who their customers are at the point in time(s) the credit will be applied will be fraught with difficulties due to their sheer inability to manage their data to that degree.

Back
Top Bottom