Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I keep seeing people in Octopus Energy jackets around Plymouth, they look to be doing the standard sell to passers by thing. What on earth can they be offering? I'd ask them, but I keep seeing them when I'm in the car driving by.

Yup, mainly to keep my homeworking IT equipment running, because my employer will not be sympathetic to power cuts.

I'd otherwise not be bothered really.
Will your internet connection and phone line still be on during a power cut?
Even if I could power my computer I wouldn't be able to do much work if everything else has lost power.

Even if I could power my computer I wouldn't be able to do much work if everything else has lost power.

Should do, we got FTTP fibre, the fibre modem needs power, but just plugs in and has been factored in to my plan.

If the power cut is widespread enough it takes out whatever powers whatever it is the supplies the fibre connection outside of my house then no.

I keep seeing people in Octopus Energy jackets around Plymouth, they look to be doing the standard sell to passers by thing. What on earth can they be offering? I'd ask them, but I keep seeing them when I'm in the car driving by.

Probably ripoff fixed tariffs. Probably easy to sell if you can convince them prices are going to go sky high. Also probably have high commission on those tariffs.

I bet they aren't saying this face to face when things are untraceable.

When I try and get a quote on the website:
Screenshot-2022-06-02-180026.png

In my opinion yes. We got fairly close this winter. It's serious enough that the Government has requested Ratcliff, West Burotn and Drax not to close their remianing coal units this September. Hunterston has gone so we're down another 1GW of reliable generation.

Added to which Rough gas storage is practically closed and although we have high LNG capacity it's an international market and we may be outbid for what's available in boats. A few years ago gas prices were rising and LNG tankers just parked up in the Channel waiting for prices to rise before choosing a destination.

But we're talking short term outages associated with low wind and unlucky breakdowns of generators. It won't be winter of discontent style.

That would really be a problem working from home. It's probably manageable on laptop battery for 1-2 hours, but that's it

Probably end up getting a 500Wh power bank

Last edited:
Probably ripoff fixed tariffs. Probably easy to sell if you can convince them prices are going to go sky high. Also probably have high commission on those tariffs.

I bet they aren't saying this face to face when things are untraceable.

When I try and get a quote on the website:
Screenshot-2022-06-02-180026.png
Im with tem too and get same message, those us not fixed and in for one hell of a shock, dreading it, it be back to working 7 days a week just to stay out of house

Wait.... what..... some of you are prepping for power cuts now?

I can imagine people who might be dependant, or significantly more comfortable, on certain medical equipment like CPAP, etc. will be seriously considering it if they are thinking ahead.

Depends what people are doing working from home wise, if they are spending a lot of time doing offline projects like design work which large amounts can be done in isolation then it might be worth it - obviously if working from home requires being "dialled" into work and/or a lot of time on Zoom, etc. there might be a lot less value in being able to keep work devices powered.

power cuts?? :cry: gas shortage possible, powers cuts wont happen, theres already a plan in place for shortages for many many countries, maybe the big power using companies may have to trim it back a little, but power cuts for householders is a little dramatic, boarder line brexit type scaremongering:cry:

power cuts?? :cry: gas shortage possible, powers cuts wont happen, theres already a plan in place for shortages for many many countries, maybe the big power using companies may have to trim it back a little, but power cuts for householders is a little dramatic, boarder line brexit type scaremongering:cry:

Unlikely but I don't think it is necessarily scaremongering - there is a potential perfect storm of circumstances coming which will put pressure on the system and only take one unfortunate factor like say unusually low wind generation to possibly push things over the edge.

Just going to put this put there, if a company asked you to still wfh during a powerful, how would you connect to their servers, or are thinking more national/global? I'm just thinking if there's power cuts, my places uses a shitton of electric so they'd probably be the first to go (my rough figures put it at 200,000kwh a month :eek: , although its lasers pew pew).

Back
Top Bottom