Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Wow, was talking to a mate about this and he said his latest fixed tariff offer put them at over £5k a year for energy :eek:

He admitted they use more than average as work from home but he's not got anything crazy like an EV, Hot Tub or A/C. Just laptops, monitors and extra cups of tea.

Bit meaningless without usage figures but still crazy.

Soldato
Wow, was talking to a mate about this and he said his latest fixed tariff offer put them at over £5k a year for energy :eek:

He admitted they use more than average as work from home but he's not got anything crazy like an EV, Hot Tub or A/C. Just laptops, monitors and extra cups of tea.

Bit meaningless without usage figures but still crazy.
I believe him, I have 4 kids one the washing machine and drying going 2 or 3 times a day, 3 have pc's and TV is on most of the day etc ww hit 700kw some winter months but 400-500 this time of year

Soldato
I believe him, I have 4 kids one the washing machine and drying going 2 or 3 times a day, 3 have pc's and TV is on most of the day etc ww hit 700kw some winter months but 400-500 this time of year
You need to consider solar.
My total grid energy use over the last 5 days is 0.9 kWh : £0.23p

52214554207_13d6bee359_z.jpg

Which includes

- WFH - laptop and PC going all day
- Oven used 4/5 times a day and microwave
- 2x Gaming PC‘s and PS5 used a lot
- 3x TV’s on most of the time.
- 2x dish washers per day
- 2x washing machine per day
- 3x heated tropical fish tanks, filters, wave makers
- Water heated (no gas use)
- 250 miles of EV range

- Exported 40 kWh for a £1.60 credit :)

basically allows you to run anything without worry about the energy cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You need to consider solar...

Which includes

- 1x TV’s on most of the time.

Copy pasta the parts we mimic. I have three youngsters and I WFH. Before the bills went nuts I would say we used around £50 a month max. With the three massive price hikes not including the October-ish one people are predicting, our monthly will be just over £100. Can't wait for the solar to see how much of this it should cancel out.

Soldato

... and if you had the feed in tarif from 2010 @ 40p unit ? mate down the pub has that with just PV and has averaged £35p/m for all energy bills over last year / 4bed detached

without introducing the capital investment (pv/battery) to gain the cheap energy, discussing 23p of energy cost is 'incomplete'

Soldato
Soldato
Copy pasta the parts we mimic. I have three youngsters and I WFH. Before the bills went nuts I would say we used around £50 a month max. With the three massive price hikes not including the October-ish one people are predicting, our monthly will be just over £100. Can't wait for the solar to see how much of this it should cancel out.
:)

Obviously the 4 months of Winter will be different, but there are still a lot of savings, by charging home storage battery at off-peak, to use when you wake up.

Especially at these post October LOL prices.

Soldato
without introducing the capital investment (pv/battery) to gain the cheap energy, discussing 23p of energy cost is 'incomplete'

Okay then…

Monthly loan cost for panels/battery : £165 (for 6 years) = £1,980 annual
Monthly energy cost savings (Pre-Oct increase) : Spring/Summer : £220 / Autumn/Winter : approx £120 = £2,240
annual.

So about £260 per year up (excluding SEG payments) and the benefits of having a fixed energy cost for 6 years, then ‘free’, there after.

Soldato
You need to consider solar.

52214554207_13d6bee359_z.jpg

Which includes

- 2x Gaming PC‘s and PS5 used a lot
- 3x TV’s on most of the time.
- 3x heated tropical fish tanks, filters, wave makers
- Water heated (no gas use)
- 250 miles of EV range

- Exported 40 kWh for a £1.60 credit :)

basically allows you to run anything without worry about the energy cost.
looked at solar it takes years to break even right?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
looked at solar it takes years to break even right?

Not when your being charged 50p a unit. Long payback was when units were between 10-15p. Instead of the usual 12 Years I think it was that got banded about, its more likely to be nearer 7 now. Also depends on what you pay out in the install, if labour and parts keep going up I guess that will make it sound expensive again.

The idea is once you get it your saving every year for 20+ years with the look to be able to use daytime items generously instead of turning things off and living like a squirrel.

Soldato
Not when your being charged 50p a unit. Long payback was when units were between 10-15p. Instead of the usual 12 Years I think it was that got banded about, its more likely to be nearer 7 now. Also depends on what you pay out in the install, if labour and parts keep going up I guess that will make it sound expensive again.

The idea is once you get it your saving every year for 20+ years with the look to be able to use daytime items generously instead of turning things off and living like a squirrel.
OK, interested what would I need 6kw or more? typical cost? Do I need batteries and if its relevant my house faces se/sw

Associate
By going for an hour's walk, you've already saved money by not having the TV on. Instead of playing computer games for 2 hours, you can limit it to 45 mins, again saving money given that PCs and modern consoles are not exactly power efficient. Do this every day and the savings are evident, plus think of the health benefits.

Associate
Solar is out of the question for much of the UK population due to lack of sufficient sunlight and inappropriate property. After accounting for large battery costs, the idea isn't feasible. Also I think we will see the end of tarrifs offering off-peak rates during the night so that is a dead end too.

If people can't afford the energy costs, the solution is to use less. People generally waste everything they get their hands on, so a good hard lesson is in order I think.

Back
Top Bottom