Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
No saving at all if it takes 3 times longer to dry the washing.
More time trying doesn’t equate to more power used. They use way less power to try a load compared to a conventional unit.

They work very differently and will not be pulling 900w constantly. They don’t get anywhere near as hot and as such the heat losses are far lower and require far less energy to extract the water.

Soldato
I suspect a lot of people that complain about heat pump tumbles are using them in a cold environment so they cannot adequately do enough heat transfer fast enough
A heat pump tumble is cooling the surrounding air by transferring the heat into the drier, small rooms, cold rooms, well surrounded etc must all limit the ability for the drier to do that quickly.

Yeh, that’s the downside, you really have to have them inside the house, they will not work well in an outbuilding in winter.

Soldato
where do heat pump dryers dump the moist air to?
The water is condensed and put in a tank/drain like a normal condenser dryer.

Some moist air escapes to the room like normal driers but it’s minimal. Heat pumps in general do a very good job of controlling humidity.

Only vented driers dump the warm moist air which is why they cost £lol to run.

Soldato
Debt Collection agencies will see an uptick in profit as they buy the debt owed to energy suppliers for the ones that went to administration, then offer the customer a 50% discount if they pay off early.

Shell done it with us and we we're paying by DD recommended by them, it wasn't until they tried to be sneaky by increasing our bill from £150 to £394! i told them nicely where to go.

So we paid £250 by standing order and then got a letter that Shell passed the debt of £1058 to Zinc.

Seen letters like this before "all threatening" but only if you don't pay it for months if not years, but we will pay it off as it our debt probably around £50 a month until they offer a discount then pay off in a lump sum.

Associate
I suspect a lot of people that complain about heat pump tumbles are using them in a cold environment so they cannot adequately do enough heat transfer fast enough
A heat pump tumble is cooling the surrounding air by transferring the heat into the drier, small rooms, cold rooms, well surrounded etc must all limit the ability for the drier to do that quickly.

Yeh, that’s the downside, you really have to have them inside the house, they will not work well in an outbuilding in winter.
Well, I was today years old when I learnt this. My 18 month old heat pump drier takes ages to dry clothes. Now I know why.
(It's in the garage) :mad:

Soldato
Well, I was today years old when I learnt this. My 18 month old heat pump drier takes ages to dry clothes. Now I know why.
(It's in the garage) :mad:

They don’t generate their own heat, they take it from their surroundings, boost it using the compressor and then move it to inside the unit.

So the colder the air, the harder they have to work.

It’s worth noting they do take longer than a normal drier anyway because they run at lower temperatures inside the unit itself. It’s far more efficient to ‘move the heat’ than it is to generate your own. You are talking in the region of 2-5 times less energy depending on the heat pump application and environmental conditions.

Soldato
depends what brand of heat pump dryer - some of mieles are ok down to 2degrees (outside) and (... as discussed in heat pump thread,)
if you are using energy from the room (ie your central heating bill) that should really be added to the energy needs for the machine, it's not free energy.

( I assume if they produced a heat pump dryer using CO2 as refrigerant (like the ID3 electric car) these are spec'd to work efficiently at lower temperatures )

Soldato
No it shouldn’t, that’s nonsense, the heat isn’t consumed by the unit, it’s just moved inside it temporarily.

What do you think happens to that heat during the drying cycle? Oh yeh it’s just dispersed back into the house…

If anything the unit will create heat and warm its surroundings further. Most of the energy it consumes will be released as heat, a tiny fraction will be noise and light.

The consumption is simply that.
If its using 900w its using 900w exactly as skaterboi ;) says

Temporarily that is used to relocate heat energy inside.

There is a fringe case you can imagine with extra energy being consumed to balance out the energy temporarily displaced to some extent, eg it cools the room which heating replaces, but thats only going to be marginal

Soldato
A fridge isn’t cooling the room it’s in, it’s heating it.

It’s taking the heat from inside the fridge and dumping it into the room, plus the energy it consumed to do that is nearly all expelled into the room as heat with a tiny bit of noise :)

Edit: if you open the door, the heat the pump moved out, flows back in and the process starts over again.

Soldato
Debt Collection agencies will see an uptick in profit as they buy the debt owed to energy suppliers for the ones that went to administration, then offer the customer a 50% discount if they pay off early.

Shell done it with us and we we're paying by DD recommended by them, it wasn't until they tried to be sneaky by increasing our bill from £150 to £394! i told them nicely where to go.

So we paid £250 by standing order and then got a letter that Shell passed the debt of £1058 to Zinc.

Seen letters like this before "all threatening" but only if you don't pay it for months if not years, but we will pay it off as it our debt probably around £50 a month until they offer a discount then pay off in a lump sum.
Yeah I can see many going this route.

A fridge isn’t cooling the room it’s in, it’s heating it.

It’s taking the heat from inside the fridge and dumping it into the room, plus the energy it consumed to do that is nearly all expelled into the room as heat with a tiny bit of noise :)

Edit: if you open the door, the heat the pump moved out, flows back in and the process starts over again.

I cant see anyone mentioning fridges, did you confuse fringe with fridge?

Back
Top Bottom