Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Seems they are getting voluntary donations and you can buy leaflets and stickers to hand out locally. Seems pretty slick actually. I was aware of the twitter group but hadn't realised they had a dedicated website and campaign. Twitter group up to 18k followers now.

Soldato
Seems they are getting voluntary donations and you can buy leaflets and stickers to hand out locally. Seems pretty slick actually.

Yep, very clever.
If you think you can't afford your energy bills this winter, set up a site taking donations and selling leaflets and stickers to gullible people. He won't have any problems paying his bills now!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Seems shady to me. Stop being conned.

All this campaign does is hurt people who genuinely can't pay.

How can you say that. Are you seriously suggesting that people who can afford to pay would have some vested interest in joining a movement to avoid paying their energy bills. Shame on you! Shame.

Soldato
If this gains traction it has the potential to be very powerful indeed. We can debate whether the website is a con or not but you guys sticking your heads in the sand won't be helping drive any change that is desperately needed.

Soldato
How can you say that. Are you seriously suggesting that people who can afford to pay would have some vested interest in joining a movement to avoid paying their energy bills. Shame on you! Shame.

Being able to afford the insane charges is not the point. The charges should never have got this high in the first place. How high do they have to go before you judge your personal financial situation to be at risk, only then you will act?

Soldato
I'm not saying give everyone free energy is the solution as it has to be paid for somewhere, but imo gov can definitely do more.

This may be pie in the sky thinking, but some thoughts:

VAT could be cut or capped, I think it's 5% VAT, when bills are 4 x higher than last year, the VAT is also a lot higher. I don't think removing it's a good idea as clearly the VAT is there for a reason, but it seems like it's scaled well out of proportion at the moment.

I think we still pay a green energy fee which is also a % of the unit costs, this definitely could be scrapped short term. With unit prices high, private investment or even public funded investment into more green energy should be a priority, and any such projects would be profitable on their own merit.

I note that some energy producing firms are reporting record profits and paying out shareholder dividends whilst this is certainly a growing crisis, it seems to be at odds with current events.

Lastly I guess unit pricing could be scaled somehow? the more you use, the more you pay for units? Would encourage people to use less and find ways to cut usage if they can. This could be tricky to enforce.

Caporegime
Cancel DDs and not paying.
That's the big one. Wonder how many will.

I expect the owner of the website is raking it in.

I think it could possibly be significant if enough do it.
It will mainly be people with nothing to lose. No care about ccjs etc.

Soldato
we need to become energy sufficient and only way that will happen is increase north sea gas, bring fracking on short term, both will take a yr im guessing, but wont happen as the green lobby would prefer to see ppl suffer and lose their homes/lives etc, no easy way out of this. you could do another windfall on huge energy profits, but they will cut investment into renewables etc, cant rely on wind soley as has been proved. so in a rock or a hard place.
in summary green lobby gets its way folk will die, lose homes etc, go the dirty route will take time and folk will suffer in meantime,, plus this could all be over in a year.

no easy answers either way

Back
Top Bottom