Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've thought about these before.
Can they cook almost anything?
We have a 1.5 size range master and feels a waste cooking a few sausages in it.

Caveat. My gf is vegan so we usually have those type of sausages/burgers. Like beyond burger but tesco version

Won't get a big pizza in or a big joint of meat but we get majority of stuff in for a family of 4 will cook virtually everything

I honestly do not know what is going on. Why is it now that every month the "predicted" energy costs just keep going up? Does anyone really care? Feels like not at present.

Our energy bill is quite low, but we will be going from £80 a month Dec 21 to a potential >£350 a month Jan 23. For us it's somewhat manageable, however with fuel being high roughly our household is now potentially going to be close to a £1000 a month energy+fuel. (I travel a lot)

But considering we are both on somewhat ok wages, it really is a good job we are quite good at not using a lot of energy in the property. It's only our heating over the winter that may be an issue.

Either way, rough numbers but Dec 21 fuel and energy cost £400 a month. That seems to be going to a £1000 in a year. Outrageous. We aren't at the stage of just stopping our life, but any more for any more increases and even we will be stopping life to just get through the winter and beyond.

I honestly don't get what is going on. Just seems so incredibly frustrating as it's falling on deaf ears.

Do you need different sections for different food?

It sounds revolutionary for a couple if it can handle a family.

Ours is basically a box with 3 mesh shelves and a drip tray at the bottom you set the temperature and a timer to be fair it does cook a bit quicker than a conventional oven aswell

Obviously the situation in the Ukraine has something to do with it, but its not the primary reason. Prices were already increasing long before that.

The real culprit is Covid19, the shutdown of the world/global markets to try and stem the spread of a relatively insignificant virus (when you look at the impact its had) has been so incredibly damaging to the economy of each country, no one will be able to escape the problems it has caused and will continue to cause.

Last edited:
Obviously the situation in the Ukraine has something to do with it, but its not the primary reason. Prices were already increasing long before that.

The really culprit is Covid19, the shutdown of the world/global markets to try and stem the spread of a relatively insignificant virus (when you look at the impact its had) has been so incredibly damaging to the economy of each country, no one will be able to escape the problems it has caused and will continue to cause.

It took years of new variants and an incredibly fast vaccine program to get what you call a "relatively insignificant" impact (I'm sure many will disagree with you on that point). Without lockdowns the outcome would have been much much worse.

A lot of the problems haven't been solely caused by the lockdowns but the lack of action on increasing supply to meet demand. The energy giants could increase output but choose not to, they would rather maximise profits then worry about little things like global stability.

It took years of new variants and an incredibly fast vaccine program to get what you call a "relatively insignificant" impact (I'm sure many will disagree with you on that point). Without lockdowns the outcome would have been much much worse.

A lot of the problems haven't been solely caused by the lockdowns but the lack of action on increasing supply to meet demand. The energy giants could increase output but choose not to, they would rather maximise profits then worry about little things like global stability.

Would it have been worse though, when you look at countries that didn't do anything didn't go into lockdown to protect their economies, they have faired far greater longterm. Those that went through multiple lockdown's have really struggled with exception to the ones who are self reliant due to geographic location.

edited because 200sols is a bit nit picky about specifics.

Last edited:
the mrs is doing my head in having the full leccy cooker running to cook three sausages. She doesn't care as she doesnt have to pay the bills. What sensible options are there as an alternative?
Air fryer.
I usually have a sausage or bacon roll for breakfast.
Sausages take 8 minutes at 190, bacon 4 minutes.

I usually have a sausage or bacon roll for breakfast.
RIP
Would it have been worse though, when you look at countries that didn't do anything, they have faired far greater longterm. Those that went through multiple lockdown's have really struggled with exception to the ones who are self reliant due to geographic location.
Which countries did nothing and faired better?

I was referring to the economical damage caused by lockdowns, I should know by now that I have literally spell everything out bit by bit on this place.

I wasn't inferring they did absolutely nothing at all, everyone had some form vaccination system in place and took precausions like social distancing and face masks.

I don't know what to do. We are already paying £253 a month, and they're saying things will now go to £400 a month on average?

We're going to have to look at ways to reduce our usage, nothing else for it. This is a genuine crisis :(

I have a Bosch washing machine. The eco plus programme is 4 hours 32 mins plus spinning time. Putting the same programme on speed perfect is 1 hour plus spinning.Without speed perfect, it lasts 1 hour 46 mins plus spinning.

Who uses programmes that take all morning to do a load? Plus I don’t think it’s that eco. Can’t find my instructions. So reckon the use in leccy is not much saved in 4.5 hours v 1 hour on quick.

That same washing machine allows you to delay start, so you can start early morning and have the load ready for when you get up.

We have a Bosch washing machine - the eco is good, there's also speed and aqua plus. Aqua plus uses more water IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom