Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

This is beyond a joke now. £350/month on average in January and £370/month in April. What does a single person on jobseeker's allowance of £77/week do? That won't even cover their energy bill, so how the hell do they afford to eat?

Over a certain amount of the price cap. Which translates to a unit cost. Absorbing anymore added to that. The other option is bill credit.

I don't think hiding the true cost is the right approach as people need to understand how expensive it is particularly if prices never come back down to last years level.

Bill credits so that every household has a reasonable amount for heating over the winter and then anything extra they have to pay for themselves seems best option.

If prices dont come down the government cant fund credits forever so the economy and peoples budgets /usage will have to adapt.

That same washing machine allows you to delay start, so you can start early morning and have the load ready for when you get up.

We have a Bosch washing machine - the eco is good, there's also speed and aqua plus. Aqua plus uses more water IIRC.

With a Grandparent who used to work for the fire service, there's absolutely no way I'd leave any domestic white goods running whilst me or my family are asleep at home.

Yes people are going to have to change their habits, or front the cost for things like solar panels etc.

I appreciate how this sounds, but most people can survive and will be fine inside with very little to no heating during winter.

I lived in a flat in Peterborough on my own, that had such poor insulation and electric heating I didn't bother using it.

Yes you could see your own breath inside, but wear warm clothes it was fine.

We have had it too easy for too long, living in western luxury. But globalisation and the internet, now everyone wants a piece of that and there isn't enough to sustain that lifestyle. Yes COVID/Ukraine have expedited this.

Yes people are going to have to change their habits, or front the cost for things like solar panels etc.

I appreciate how this sounds, but most people can survive and will be fine inside with very little to no heating during winter.

I lived in a flat in Peterborough on my own, that had such poor insulation and electric heating I didn't bother using it.

We have had it too easy for too long, living in western luxury. But globalisation and the internet, now everyone wants a piece of that and there isn't enough to sustain that lifestyle. Yes COVID/Ukraine have expedited this.
I have to lol at "we have had it easy for too long"

Seriously wondering what is the point of the offgem cap? It just goes up and up. I thought it was there to stop us getting ripped off :rolleyes:

Seriously going to have to consider shutting the heating down this winter and stocking up on jumpers and thermals. Because a 4k energy bill is just insane.
I've already resigned myself to being cold this winter, more clothes less (no) heating.

Add a battery.
If your in the UK they make as much sense as solar.
Right now with pricing going the way it is, battery on Octopus go is probably a better payback than solar.

Eg Im in the process of getting a system now. Getting 10.4kwh of storage is going to come in around £5.5k (i'm getting both so estimating the full install of that individually)
That will allow 10kwh to be stored overnight in the 7.5pence window for usage outside that window. If you didn't have solar you could do that 365 days of the year.

10kwh at 7.5p x 365 days = £273.75
10kwh at 50p (estimate Oct price cap) = £1825
Annual saving £1551.25, simple payback approx 3.5 years.

Interested in this. Who are you quoting for the battery system please or is it a DIY job? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The only specific one is the Tesla powerwall one. (also with Octopus actually)
But I suggest you would balk at the cost of a tesla powerwall, the vast majority of us do.
Its also not as massive a benefit either in isolation without panels.

Something will come, the strategy is demand pricing long term so they need to get more people to suck up the excess supply when its there and be self sufficient or returning to the grid in peak times.

Weren't you talking of building a large outbuilding? That would be an ideal place to put batteries and have a solar array as you could design the weight in.

Its going to change, but right now its a bit of a lottery in regards some things such as getting onto Go. It used to be they never checked EV ownership but with energy prices they seem to have tightened up somewhat.

Powerwall looks decent even without solar panels depending how much energy you use. From memory the rates are 20p per kw 24/7. Thats an 8p saving per kwh at existing rates and almost 28p per kw from the October price cap.

I would save £1120 per annum compared to variable so around a 9 year payback on the Powerwall.

Obviously the opayback would be much much sooner if you had solar panels as well.

Interested in this. Who are you quoting for the battery system please or is it a DIY job? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Discussed the other day. Problem is getting on the Go tariff, as its meant for EVs and you're meant to be able to prove you have one.

Battery only useful (absense of solar) if you can get a cheap tariff for a few hours a day.

Spot the poster with no young children or elderly parents….

The risk with battery only is you are at the mercy of a cheap night tarrif, which if enough people cotton on, who knows.....

If you can tie it in with solar then excellent, but it's a big upfront cost not always feasible.

Back
Top Bottom