Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I use a small size gorge foreman grill for small portions, like a few sausages etc, takes 5-10 minutes at most, uses 1/5th to 1/3rd of the electricity an oven/grill would use.
thanks Soldato, after a quick rummage on the internet I've got a Tefal OptiGrill+ which looks like it will do the job admirably. It'll pay for itself (grabs calculator) very quickly I reckon.

Yes people are going to have to change their habits, or front the cost for things like solar panels etc.

I appreciate how this sounds, but most people can survive and will be fine inside with very little to no heating during winter.

I lived in a flat in Peterborough on my own, that had such poor insulation and electric heating I didn't bother using it.

Yes you could see your own breath inside, but wear warm clothes it was fine.

We have had it too easy for too long, living in western luxury. But globalisation and the internet, now everyone wants a piece of that and there isn't enough to sustain that lifestyle. Yes COVID/Ukraine have expedited this.
Tell me about it.... for example..my other halfs kids ( I say kids, they are actually in their 20s) still put their washing in the tumble dryer each day. In one of the hottest summers on record.

Boggling.

Discussed the other day. Problem is getting on the Go tariff, as its meant for EVs and you're meant to be able to prove you have one.

Battery only useful (absense of solar) if you can get a cheap tariff for a few hours a day.

Link please? there are 9000 posts to wade through here and I am already on go faster with 5 hours at 8.25p from 9.30pm to 2.30am :)

Tell me about it.... for example..my other halfs kids ( I say kids, they are actually in their 20s) still put their washing in the tumble dryer each day. In one of the hottest summers on record.

Boggling.

How well off are they? I have a constant running battle with the missus to try and get her not to **** energy up the wall when it can be avoided. Things like hanging the washing out. Only doing the washing when the weather looks decent so it can be air dried, turning lights out, not running the bath to the point where she will drown and constantly topping up the hot water, using our small and more efficient car instead of the bigger one where possible.

We can afford all these things but come this winter, I reckon we would easily be £500-1000 worse off if she did what she wanted. I don't see the point in wasting money even if you wont struggle without it.

meanwhile in the sunlit uplands

Electricity and gas The government has voted to extend the tariff shield on gas and electricity prices until the end of the year: this means that gas prices will continue to remain frozen and that price hikes for electricity prices will be capped at four percent.

For who: This applies to everyone who has a gas or electricity account in France.

When: The price freeze is already in effect and will continue until at least December 31st.

Fuel subsidy – The government’s fuel rebate (on petrol/gasoline and diesel) will be increased from €0.18 per litre to €0.30 in September and October, and then in November and December it will fall to €0.10

Rent cap – Rent increases will be limited to 3.5 percent per year for existing tenants. Some cities already have in place their own rent control schemes, but the 3.5 percent cap is nationwide.

Who – This affects anyone who already has a tenancy agreement for a property in France (and also affects all landlords who are banned from making big rent hikes).

When – The 3.5 percent cap concerns annual rent increases that fall between July 2022 and June 2023.

Meanwhile

Ofgen need to explain why rec-calculating the cap on 3 months updates doesn't incur the same average rate as for the 6 month period from October,
since the energy estimates - weather / russia situation ... haven't changed
ie 6 month
£1971 until October
£3725 Oct -> March

now
£3225 Oct-dec (should be revised down since you are not anticipating jan+ wholesale rates now)
£4210 Jan -March

practically consumption goes up in the colder months so that's a double-punishment
energy has benn purchased already on the futures market anyway.

But analysts at Investec said the tweaks to how the price cap is calculated risk pushing up average household bills by as much as £500 in January when they could reach £4,210 a year. Prior to the changes Investec had calculated bills under the price cap would reach around £3,725 in January, up from £1,971 currently.

How well off are they? I have a constant running battle with the missus to try and get her not to **** energy up the wall when it can be avoided. Things like hanging the washing out. Only doing the washing when the weather looks decent so it can be air dried, turning lights out, not running the bath to the point where she will drown and constantly topping up the hot water, using our small and more efficient car instead of the bigger one where possible.

We can afford all these things but come this winter, I reckon we would easily be £500-1000 worse off if she did what she wanted. I don't see the point in wasting money even if you wont struggle without it.
I'd say average. Its nuts but then I guess they have grown up through their whole life with a tumble dryer, the sheer concept of "hanging out your clothes to dry" is as alien to them as the concept of washing your dishes by hand instead of just sticking them in the dishwasher.

Boggling.

To be fair if you work out how long it takes to hang up/get in washing + associated faff, vs just throwing it in the drier & using time saved to say work overtime, it probably makes economic sense :D

To be fair if you work out how long it takes to hang up/get in washing + associated faff, vs just throwing it in the drier & using time saved to say work overtime, it probably makes economic sense :D
Might do..if they actually worked overtime. At the moment, its tumble dryer, 3 times a day, every day, in 30 degree heat. Its not so much economic sense on their part, as pure laziness. Same reason why they exist almost entirely on stuff like "chicken dippers and chips" because they can shove that in an oven and pick it up 30mins later instead of learning how to actually cook :)

Back
Top Bottom