Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
If he can sell back a few units everyday I guess he is even. I think most of us dont mind 50p a day for that unlimited access, maybe they will start to cap/throttle access as a solution; not sure they can tbh.

I don’t really have anything to add but it’s utterly insane that huge swathes of people are going to suffer so that a handful of energy conglomerates and their shareholders can get even richer. This could all stop tomorrow if people had a social conscience.

If the government owns a business or industry they leverage it against borrowed money, treasury debt and they must pay a return on that debt. Inflation 10 to 18% forthcoming means a quarter of government debt is obliged to pay this cost on the debt outstanding.

If a private company owns assets and pays a dividend, surprisingly it can cost the nation less.

Soldato
If the government owns a business or industry they leverage it against borrowed money, treasury debt and they must pay a return on that debt. Inflation 10 to 18% forthcoming means a quarter of government debt is obliged to pay this cost on the debt outstanding.

If a private company owns assets and pays a dividend, surprisingly it can cost the nation less.
I’m not necessarily advocating for nationalisation, more just how uncomfortable it is that a small handful benefit from the suffering of so many. I get the simple laws of supply and demand etc but governments the world over have failed to shield people from this crisis proactively and are seemingly sitting on their hands now. Meanwhile prices go ever higher and there is no talk of capping profits or otherwise helping the end consumer.

The household budget I built last year when we moved house had +\- 10% sensitivity factored in: this is nuts and is blowing that out of the water. We can afford it for now but we will live an even simpler life. I really fear for others.

Soldato
About the retailers?

It does target them yes. It's the only choice as there is no way to directly target anyone else.
Ofgem and the government are two clear targets.

Ofgem for not considering affordability of their caps (although they restricted by their mandate).

Government for setting Ofgem's mandate, and no proper planning on the country's energy needs.

The suppliers in many cases are owned by wealthy parent companies of course, of which so many people are falling for it when they say the suppliers are innocent with tiny margins. But not all of the suppliers have parent companies that own energy extraction.

Soldato
Not every property can have double glazing.
Solar panels on every home likely doesn't help the poorest either and probably does nothing for them but widen the wealth gap

Nationalise energy companies and seize all the windfarms and solar farms that are owned by investment groups and trusts

Why would you think it does nothing for the poorest? For them energy costs are a bigger part of of their expenditure, and many of them live in rented properties where the only realistic way they getting panels or double glazing is if the government steps in.

The question was on the basis that as a country we are rejecting nationalisation, I am not against it, and do support it. I got no issue with your idea personally. :)

Soldato
Back around April this year the prediction for this October was around £2800, it's looking like it's going to be closer to £3600, we'll find out in Friday.
I won't be surprised if the £6500 prediction for April next year is closer to your estimates.

I think we looking at £5-7k for next April, and £9-11k for the following October of which by then the gas pipe will be fully shut off to Europe as well.

By then solar panels will be ROI of about 2-3 years maybe, but of course if you wait till then panels might cost more to install to reflect new demand.

Associate
Has anyone looked at wind turbines? had quick look average wind speed 7.9 knots in UK (9mph) for 2021 and below generates 4kwh at 15mph for compact (ish) ones

Seems a lot cheaper than solar and even today what feels calm wind at 9mph.

My chimney stack is doing nothing may aswell have a massive turbine on it! Second thought 1 meter turbine would look horrible on roof and hurricanes would be fun.

Soldato
If he can sell back a few units everyday I guess he is even. I think most of us dont mind 50p a day for that unlimited access, maybe they will start to cap/throttle access as a solution; not sure they can tbh.

It can until you remember the shareholder is the priority for the company.

Soldato
Staying legal is the main priority. Its a pretty locked down situation, they are obliged to provide a service and various other requirements. Its not quite the wild west they can do anything at all with no consequences, shareholders are just owners and they own a license which can be lost leaving their asset holdings far worse off. Ive seen how awful gov can run things also, Im not thinking either is ideal

Soldato
Has anyone looked at wind turbines? had quick look average wind speed 7.9 knots in UK (9mph) for 2021 and below generates 4kwh at 15mph for compact (ish) ones

Seems a lot cheaper than solar and even today what feels calm wind at 9mph.

My chimney stack is doing nothing may aswell have a massive turbine on it! Second thought 1 meter turbine would look horrible on roof and hurricanes would be fun.

Haven't looked into it but domestic installation might hit planning issues.

Caporegime
Why would you think it does nothing for the poorest? For them energy costs are a bigger part of of their expenditure, and many of them live in rented properties where the only realistic way they getting panels or double glazing is if the government steps in.
the poorest live in tower blocks and maisonettes etc the places already less desirable because they don't have a garden and just tiny cramped rooms

Man of Honour
As ridiculous as it sounds, might want to snap them up on that. Those gas figures are the same as the current SVR, will be a lot higher from October. Seems like an error but if the transaction goes through..

That must have been a mistake on their end as I copy pasted it straight from their website. I just double checked it and it now reads 15.0843p per kw/h for gas, almost double what it said earlier.

apparently but what will really happen is people with solar panels get lower energy bills, the places that can't have solar panels end up with higher bills to make up for it and keep shareholders happy

Seize the lot most is owned by foreigners anyway who don't live here and avoid paying taxes.

Just parasites sucking out wealth for pensions and yachts

#Eat the rich, The queen needs to do one as well and stop getting her cut of offshore windfarms because she "owns the sea bed"

Build the guillotines and import some French people

No seriously, less grid demand will mean the most expensive pricing (I think its called surge or something) will drop down and be less used, hence lower average cost.

You sound very angry. Life not fair?

Cost of capital is going a bit far for a home solar install :D
I paid for my whole system on a 0% credit card and stuck the cash I put aside for it in my vanguard ISA, if I could be bothered to look then I'm sure the return on the cash is better than the return from the solar install. This way I get both though :)

Well TBH I haven't actually calculated it yet, my installer did that bit for me as I would have used a lower cost of capital right now of around 3.5% (I was planning to pay down the end of my mortgage end of 2022 but it will now roll into April 2023 so thats the cost to me)
After that point it will be lost interest / investment so will probably actually calculate it at 5% personally.

I will use more sensible unit pricing as well, 29p is a bit low ;)

Soldato
I think we looking at £5-7k for next April, and £9-11k for the following October of which by then the gas pipe will be fully shut off to Europe as well.

By then solar panels will be ROI of about 2-3 years maybe, but of course if you wait till then panels might cost more to install to reflect new demand.

Nah

Russian supply of gas is all but shut off already. Markets have priced it in

Other supplies will be forthcoming

UK Futures dropped 15% today

Not that anyone was agreeing big contracts at 550 anyway.....

Back
Top Bottom