Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Conservative party are a joke, increasing NI and continuing to charge VAT on energy. Offering a £200 loan is pointless because energy prices will still be sky high next year, and a £150 grant doesn't do anything for a long term problem, what are they going to do next year? It's all short term thinking.

They've also taken a wage rise.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-pay-rise-2022-salaries-b2026011.html

"Conservative MP Sir Peter Bottomley said that some MPs are finding it “really grim” to live on a salary of £82,000."
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mp-salary-peter-bottomley-b1933668.html

What else is gas? Gas hob? I assume combi boiler?

What kind of temp do you set on the thermostat? Do you use the TRVs on your radiator properly (i.e. do you realise they set a temperature of the room, not how hot a radiator gets)?

This winter i have had the hive set to 18 degrees in day and 19 degrees at night. Then At midnight until 5am i have the heating drop to 15. On the radiators i usually have them at like 2/5 other than the living room which is at 5/5. I have a gas oven and hob and yeh its a combi boiler, i have just checked though and the pressure is only at 0.5. On the boiler we have the water and radiator settings on the eco mode.

This winter i have had the hive set to 18 degrees in day and 19 degrees at night. Then At midnight until 5am i have the heating drop to 15. On the radiators i usually have them at like 2/5 other than the living room which is at 5/5. I have a gas oven and hob and yeh its a combi boiler, i have just checked though and the pressure is only at 0.5. On the boiler we have the water and radiator settings on the eco mode.

While the politicians in Westminster has the radiators blasting and windows open and lights on when nobody is there at night.

We have the thermostat set to 17.5 during the day, occasionally boost to 18 / 18.5 / 19 for 30 - 60 mins if the washing needs a quick blast or the kids are bathing, then around bed time it drops to 16.5 because we sleep better in cooler temperatures. Then back up to 17.5 around 7am.

We have a gas hob, combi boiler (3 years old), electric oven.

5/5 on a TRV is just fully open all the time and it will not shut off.

3/5 is normally about 20, 2/5 is about 18.

I have all our TRVs set to 2 except in the lounge and office where you tend to a bit more stationary. Those are set to 3.

The main thermostat is meant to be in the coldest part of the house and controls the system based on that temp. The TRVs then control the individual rooms.

We have ours set down at 16c but the stat is in the hallway which doesn’t need to be that warm and is the slowest to warm up. It stops the heating kicking on immediately when someone opens the door. The rest of the house is much warmer as it’s controlled off the TRVs and the rest of the house is a happy temp.

What is the temperature the boiler is set to? The hotter it is, the less efficient it is. I think ours kicks out at about 65c, that’s plenty hot enough, the rads are scalding.

Just checked my latest bill and it says I use 19,000kw of gas a year. That seems quite abit for a 3 bedroom detached. Whats everyone else using?

That is quite a high usage but depends on the house. How old? What do you have your thermostat set to and how long do you have the heating on for?

Edit: just saw your reply to someone else regarding controller settings. Why have the heating on until midnight? When do you go to bed? Knock it off an hour before that and have it come on 30 minutes to 1 hour before you get up. Then adjust to suit depending on how quick the house warms up/cools down.

Last edited:
I'm sure those MPs that can are finding ways.

They can’t claim the energy bills from their personal permanent residence. They can only claim expenses relating to the accommodation they have near parliament if they are eligible for it.

If you expected to be away from home for work, you’d expect your accommodation costs to be covered as well.

Any notion that MPs can claim their home energy use is taken completely out of context and more than likely fake news.

Sounds like something an MP would say....suspicious! :rolleyes:

Or you could spend 3 seconds finding out what the rules actually say.

@Haggisman implies they can claim for their energy bills, in reality that’s not really the case as it only relates to accommodation expenses near parliament if they are eligible for it. To us regular people that would be a work expense. I don’t see why it would be any different for them.

Politicians are a devious bunch. They will always find a way to exploit it and keep it hidden.
I’m sure the odd one will be stupid enough to try and fiddle it but they should be dealt with as if it’s a theft but that will never happen.

At the end of the day there is far more money to be made with after dinner speeches these days than trying to fiddle a few expenses which are nothing like the system that existed before the great scandal.

As born2sk8 mentioned, having the living room rad on 5/5 will mean it's always on whenever the heating is on. Set it to 3 as that aims for 20ºC, which will likely never get hit anyway if the thermostat is set to 19º. Setting 2/5 will be around 17º so there's every chance you never actually hit the 18/19º you've got the thermostat set to meaning the heating could be on, not heating the house to the desired temp, and still using gas.

If you've got the heating on from 5am to midnight too it's no wonder your bill is so high.

Only relevant if your thermostat is not in the living room... Mine is and my living room rads do not have trvs so are controlled by the thermostat itself

Normally you don’t put a TRV on rads in the same room as the main thermostat. Not only os it a waste of money, you also don’t want the two fighting each other which is why I wrote what I wrote.

Back
Top Bottom