Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Daft question but why do people have the heating on when sleeping? Providing a suitable climate for babies or something?
probably too lazy to set the timer to come on before they wake :P

I just use a hot water bottle, they seem to keep warm for around 5hours

Daft question but why do people have the heating on when sleeping? Providing a suitable climate for babies or something?
Too much money and never had to worry about it before.
They don't know the pain of waking up, having to get out of warm quilt and sprinting as fast as you can to the bathroom to limit your exposure to icy conditions. This after you muster the courage to leave the warmth and embrace the pain. I feel for people who have slate/tile floors like the Antarctic.

Last edited:
Just checked my latest bill and it says I use 19,000kw of gas a year. That seems quite abit for a 3 bedroom detached. Whats everyone else using?

Wtf lol, how do you guys use so much energy

is it all on heating? I use 6000kwh a year on electricity, no gas (4 bedroom 2100sqft floor space)

Is a lot of our increase a result of the French only getting a small price rise? We are essentially paying their deficit?
ETF seems Francais and E.on Seems Deutsch.

if you were a power company based in the UK but had some operations in EU countries who would you favour?

The small increase to France is probably because they are more self sufficient than we are though.

A lot of our energy seems to come from a cable connecting to France, we probably pay for that pleasure quite heavily.

wasn't macron threatening to switch us off during brexit and the fishing wars, I think we built a second cable connecting to Norway or somewhere.

I think we had loads of natural gas storage too like a stockpile but the Tories got rid of it to save costs? that would have been the buffer to keep prices in check I guess.

oh seems directly they didn't but got blamed for letting it happen
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...let-Britain-effectively-shut-gas-storage.html

Too much money and never had to worry about it before.
They don't know the pain of waking up, having to get out of warm quilt and sprinting as fast as you can to the bathroom to limit your exposure to icy conditions. This after you muster the courage to leave the warmth and embrace the pain. I feel for people who have slate/tile floors like the Antarctic.

You're assuming they're the ones complaining? The people cutting back and has been for a number of years are the ones still complaining about the costs. As is across the whole board. Some complaining worse than others.

A lot of our energy seems to come from a cable connecting to France, we probably pay for that pleasure quite heavily.

around 2-5% of our power needs comes from interconnects. They flow both ways!

our issue is around 30-40% of our energy is from gas as we have switched of coal, not fully committed to renewable and dragged our feet on nuclear.

wind farm owners are laughing their ass off to the bank as they are selling there very cheep energy at 30-40p/kWh on the wholesale market.

If you have a large home solar PV array you could be getting paid 40-70p/kWh with Octopus Agile at the moment which is madness.

wind farm owners are laughing their ass off to the bank as they are selling there very cheep energy at 30-40p/kWh on the wholesale market.
yea I was looking at who owns the energy plants earlier :D and seeing if it were trusts on the stock market.

if anyone else is interesting you can use this site to see who owns what
https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/
Click a company name on the right side and it will list all of the ones they own.

seems most of the energy generation in this country is owned by foreign companies

some are smaller investment trusts though and not heavily skyrocketed stocks such as
https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/owner/foresight-solar-fund/

I guess potentially they are going to become worth a lot more soon, but I guess that depends on if they sold energy at a fixed rate on contracts they can't change or not.

so anyone investing would have to check on that

Back
Top Bottom