Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I think they must be having a competition. Who can mug off the public the most and still get away with it.

I'm waiting for the MP who tells the public to just claim it on expenses like we do, then the riots start :p

I hope any future support isn't just limited to those who are eligible for universal credit, plenty of people outside of it need help now.

No **** great economic brain you have on the top of your head.............................. So after months of silence a shambles of £400 to pay for dividends at the end of the day, he pops up with this ****, what a ****** **** end.
I mean he isn't wrong. we should all look at our energy use and think about if we can cut back without spoiling our lives. this is true regardless of if we can pay or not.

equally my area is not in a hosepipe ban (probably should be) but i still think it's wise to be sensible.

but regardless of that government is going to have to help out to curb some of the costs whilst they hopefully put up more wind turbines, solar and energy storage in the short term and nuclear in the medium term to try to ride out this mess. (,but if the Russia invasion of Ukraine continues its gonna be a tough few years)

imo it is nuts we are not energy self sustaining given our country is an island with all the supply we need to look after ourselves, but that ship has already sailed now, we are where we are

I mean he isn't wrong. we should all look at our energy use and think about if we can cut back without spoiling our lives. this is true regardless of if we can pay or not.

equally my area is not in a hosepipe ban (probably should be) but i still think it's wise to be sensible.

but regardless of that government is going to have to help out to curb some of the costs whilst they hopefully put up more wind turbines, solar and energy storage in the short term and nuclear in the medium term to try to ride out this mess. (,but if the Russia invasion of Ukraine continues its gonna be a tough few years)

imo it is nuts we are not energy self sustaining given our country is an island with all the supply we need to look after ourselves, but that ship has already sailed now, we are where we are
Lots of People have already cut back as much as they can. What do they cut back on now?

Just cancelled my Sainburys Energy 1 Year Smooth Renew v21 tariff that I signed up for yesterday and swapped to their SVR for when my fix ends in October as it was much higher rates than the new cap. The January rise will be a worry especially as Jan-April is our coldest months here but at least the April rise will only hurt us for a month or so before the worst of Winter is over.

Just cancelled my Sainburys Energy 1 Year Smooth Renew v21 tariff that I signed up for yesterday and swapped to their SVR for when my fix ends in October as it was much higher rates than the new cap. The January rise will be a worry especially as Jan-April is our coldest months here but at least the April rise will only hurt us for a month or so before the worst of Winter is over.
Like you, I also worry about the future rises. I was mentally ready for today's rise, but it was sickening to see mentions of further insane rises in the near future.

So, crystal ball time, do you think that fixed tariff will still be lower than whatever the SVR will be come Jan/APR or another factor involved here (lower usage)?

SO how can we eventually get out of this mess?

Bend over to Putin?

The only way I can see is to build our way out of it and decouple the electricity price from gas. Build more Nuclear although it will take many years and not going to happen up here because of the SNP/Greens and build more wind/wave projects which can come online comparatively quickly although nimbys won't like it. We have three huge windfarms around us (two within five miles and the third within ten miles) yet as long as the price is coupled to the price of gas we don't get any advantage of what should be a cheaper source of electricity. I have no idea about gas supply, maybe the government buys a couple of platforms and keep what they produce for our use only but that will never happen. I would like to see the energy companies nationalised but again that will never happen.

So, crystal ball time, do you think that fixed tariff will still be lower than whatever the SVR will be come Jan/APR or another factor involved here (lower usage)?

I hope that the January rise will be just about manageable and that the winter isn't a bad one. The projected April rise is simply unaffordable. That fixed tariff was a whopping 15p per kw/h higher for electricity and 29 per kw/h higher for gas so I would be paying considerably more for three months. We only use 6-10 units of electricity per day but Winter is a bad time for gas use in this 1970's house.

One of our local restaurants are closing their doors for the last time. Really great place and was always packed with a waiting list to get in most weeks pre COVID. It is one thing for the rising costs to the home user but businesses is even worse.

They were a successful one as well. Must be the final nail in the coffin for a lot of independent companies.

Ah thanks, that would explain it then. Finally benefiting from the insane tax rates I pay!

So Spain just had a ton of redundant coal power generation capacity just waiting to be turned on?
Looks like it. I'll admit I've skim-read a summary so I'm sure there's way more details I don't know :)

Back
Top Bottom