Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Will these businesses even survive until the government takes it's finger out of it's sphincter?

I suspect not.
It's going to be a business blood bath by December and I imagine a lot will run up a debt with all their suppliers on the run up to christmas, get the festive trade period out the way and then not reopen in the new year and wind the business' up. Since there's no cap for business' they are hurting very bad at the moment and it will only get worse in the next 3 months.

Agreed its so stupid, those who can't pay need to contact suppliers and at least trying to discuss a payment plan as this protects them from warrant action. Those who can pay but refuse to are so stupid as not only, at best, will the wreck their credit file but they willl accrue additional costs depending how far they take it.
Some people seem to not be understanding the reality some others will be in.

I expect the typical person taking part in this movement probably already doesnt care about their credit. They could negotiate a payment plan, but thats kicking the can down the road, in their eyes this plan offers hope as it potentially will actually reduce future bills rather than just deferring payments.

I absolutely support a movement against whats going on, I agree on the principle raised a few posts up we in a situation down to some wealthy individuals wanting to maximise their profits to unreasonable levels of the back of normal working people.

My issue is with this form of protest. I think it carries risks to individuals. Which perhaps should have been explained on the campaign website.

However there is educating people on the risks, and then there is going further in pushing really hard for them to not take part as if trying to protect these shareholders, let people make their own decisions. Educate them by all means but they have the right to decide what they want to do. Thats my opinion. Personally I hope this movement is successful as unlikely it might be.

For the wealthier participants taking part I applaud the empathy.

If the numbers are high enough they will struggle to do meter swaps, simply due to manpower (and potentially stock) alone. This movement depends on critical mass so much.

I think Octopus state somewhere they will wait 6 months or so before reporting and taking debt recovery action?

Wouldn't just paying the minimum be the better strategy? They can't cut you off if you inform them and agree a payment plan.

Let the account build up debt and pay off what you can rather than ending up on a prepayment meter and paying even higher rates.

Probably, I think the movement could have been done better, but we are where we are I guess.

Maybe they could send out a newsletter informing people of the risks and say reducing your payments would also be considered taking part.

Some people seem to not be understanding the reality some others will be in.

I expect the typical person taking part in this movement probably already doesnt care about their credit. They could negotiate a payment plan, but thats kicking the can down the road, in their eyes this plan offers hope as it potentially will actually reduce future bills rather than just deferring payments.

I absolutely support a movement against whats going on, I agree on the principle raised a few posts up we in a situation down to some wealthy individuals wanting to maximise their profits to unreasonable levels of the back of normal working people.

My issue is with this form of protest. I think it carries risks to individuals. Which perhaps should have been explained on the campaign website.

However there is educating people on the risks, and then there is going further in pushing really hard for them to not take part as if trying to protect these shareholders, let people make their own decisions. Educate them by all means but they have the right to decide what they want to do. Thats my opinion. Personally I hope this movement is successful as unlikely it might be.

For the wealthier participants taking part I applaud the empathy.

If the numbers are high enough they will struggle to do meter swaps, simply due to manpower (and potentially stock) alone. This movement depends on critical mass so much.

I think Octopus state somewhere they will wait 6 months or so before reporting and taking debt recovery action.

I 100% support a protest and I believe we need boots on the street marching on No10. That to me, is more effective and applies more pressure on the gov than 100,000 pledging to not pay and less than 10% following through. While to a degree i agree with letting people make their own decisions on how to protest i would say is it more compassionate and "right" to let them shoot themselves in the face or to try to stop them from doing so.
What festive trade period?
For this year... good point!

@wildman Heavily implied here mate, shortly followed by your "look at how well im doing" quantifying before talking about poor working classes who cant afford the bills

as opposed to your corporate shill line of phone up your supplier and just string out your pain with a ridiculous payment plan that will see those already hurting signed up to a lifetime of misery. People like you are the problem. you are just advoicating people to sign themselves up to a life time of debt and servitude. Thatcher did a good job on your brainwashing programme.

The extractors are the problem (shell, BP etc)
But they are not, they sell at the market rate. The market rate is high because there isn't enough supply because the West won't buy from Russia and the only providers that can cover the shortfall won't. (And it's not UK companies)
BP had a $20.4 bn loss in the first quarter due to loss of their Russian business interest.

And most of their profit comes from outside the UK. Also there is a fair chance you are invested in them via a pension fund.

The biggest losers are the countries that can't buy at all and will have large shortages.

Of course if people do mass no pay, we'll end up getting shortages later on as providers won't have the cash to buy energy.

as opposed to your corporate shill line of phone up your supplier and just string out your pain with a ridiculous payment plan that will see those already hurting signed up to a lifetime of misery. People like you are the problem. you are just advoicating people to sign themselves up to a life time of debt and servitude. Thatcher did a good job on your brainwashing programme.
Gone back to calling me a shill now for offering the same advice that a Debt charity (Stepchange) offers. Stepchange, that charity for helping people manage their debt... complete ******* shills eh?

You do know what i said actually PROTECTS people from getting warrants issued against them and stops/delays having a prepayment meter installed right?

Edit: Is your next reply going to call me a corporate **** now?

Gone back to calling me a shill now for offering the same advice that a Debt charity (Stepchange) offers. Stepchange, that charity for helping people manage there debt... complete ******* shills eh?

You do know what i said actually PROTECTS people from getting warrants issued against them and stops/delays having a prepayment meter installed right?

But you are still telling people to pay "the man" !
I left EDF at the start of the month after being in the energy industry for 7+ years. I feel for my colleagues and what kind of bull they are going to have to put up with.

Gone back to calling me a shill now for offering the same advice that a Debt charity (Stepchange) offers. Stepchange, that charity for helping people manage there debt... complete ******* shills eh?

no my next reply will be to laugh at you hiding behind a charity while your paymaster literally laughs at the missery they cause. We can do this all night, hope you have a lot of redbull on tap.

you seem to think that desitute people give a **** about warrants while they literally watch their kids starve

no my next reply will be to laugh at you hiding behind a charity while your paymaster literally laugh at the lissery they cause. We can do this all night, hope you have a lot of redbull on tap.

Ahh yes im hiding behind facts and legal sense... damn me! I'm good my man. Im off work now until the 6th Sept so lets go!

Edit: If you want to continue being angry and wrong for the next 11 days im game :)

Have there been solid plans produced for how/when additional generation may go online?

A lot of people are blaming the energy producers and shareholders, whilst there is some truth to that I'm sure (and capitalism isn't known for helping those in need), I believe we are also just facing a shortage on the generation side now that the cheap Russian gas has been revoked.

We're in a world where that could realistically not return, even if the war in Ukraine ends.

When demand outstrips supply you get this scenario, so the best solution is to increase supply from other angles.

Can we spin up more power generation across the EU quicker here? some of the markets will be self-correcting such as solar, which appears to be popular enough on it's own to get people to be buying it as fast as the installers can reasonably install it.

Others such as wind seem to require more hoops to get through. But if you look at something like the trial Octopus is running - if there is a wind turbine near you, you can get a special plan that has cheaper electric when it's windy enough.

Nuclear probably takes a longer time to get up and running...

Burning coal isn't great for the environment but if we have some ability to do it, maybe it's something we should consider real short term.

Not sure what else would be a good plan.

I think coal is maybe our only real quick supply we can get turned back on quickly assuming the power stations are still in a state to be used.

I think wind generators can be produced relatively quickly but wind is a unreliable source of power?

Nuclear generators take ages to build but apparently these mini ones can be done quicker?

Ahh yes im hiding behind facts and legal sense... damn me! I'm good my man. Im off work now until the 6th Sept so lets go!

Edit: If you want to continue being angry and wrong for the next 11 days im game :)

bring it on, at the end of the day you are just another perons that peddles in human missery. you can try and wrap that up in your horse crap statement of trying to keep people out of courts / jail away from warrants, but it's clear you have zero idea what these pople are going through. I have got all the time in the world, 11 days is childs play. when this is all over, people like yourself who work for these charlatans will find themselves on the wrong side of history.

I think coal is maybe our only real quick supply we can get turned back on quickly assuming the power stations are still in a state to be used.

I think wind generators can be produced relatively quickly but wind is a unreliable source of power?

Nuclear generators take ages to build but apparently these mini ones can be done quicker?

We're an island in the middle of a large ocean. Offshore is more expensive to build but pretty reliably produces energy.

The one built off of Brighton a few years back is able to power about 1.5x the households of Sussex.

Yeah the issue with don't pay UK..

If no one pays, including the government. The lights will literally go out. It won't matter if you're rich or poor. We just won't have electricity.

At the end of the day the government would pay (I think? They are tory) but if no one paid.. No electricity

Wind may be a bit unrealiable, but we do have some good windy in-land sites we've probably just ignored due to protestors or whatever.

It will add something all the time, and it will do a lot on very windy days. All helps I think.

Mini nuclear generators sound cool, wonder how long they would take to build?

Back
Top Bottom