Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Sorry to sound daft but surely the immersion makes sense if the electric costs less than gas? I'm thinking of using mine during the night when my gas goes up.
When there is no sun, I heat my water using offpeak electricity at 7.5p vs 7.7 for our gas currently.

Come October our gas will be double that so the savings will larger.

We will probably get a Mixergy tank next year to have more control of heating it.

I’m away with work until November, and my wife’s always taken care of the utilities (we’re with British Gas), is there anything we can do to fix the rate now, or is this totally unavoidable at this point? Some of these numbers flying around are absolutely terrifying. How am I supposed to pay quadruple all of a sudden?

This is seriously stressing me out, made all the worse by being stuck on a ship, unable to do anything about this. :(

When there is no sun, I heat my water using offpeak electricity at 7.5p vs 7.7 for our gas currently.

Come October our gas will be double that so the savings will larger.
That's what I'm thinking. It's going to cost about 600 a year to keep the tank warm at 16p/kwh, so I'm think it's better to use the immersion, unfortunately it needs changing as it's broken.

I put about a 0% chance on my employer giving me 10-15% increase this year, but perhaps I would put some odds on a smaller % payrise and then a "cost o livin" one off payment for now.

I don't actually want a pay rise as I get lots of childcare benefits as a result (30 free hours and tax free childcare). That's worth more than a pay rise would offer.

We currently use a MyEnergi Eddi to heat water from excess solar. Once our battery storage is fully charged, it automatically uses all excess generated solar (up to 3kwh) to heat the water.
It can also be programmed to heat water through 4 seperate timers for different days, and it support’s two water tanks for different timers & heat settings.

Means we don’t need to use any gas to heat water, which further reduces the payback time from solar.

52318287657_0072210523_c.jpg

I’m away with work until November, and my wife’s always taken care of the utilities (we’re with British Gas), is there anything we can do to fix the rate now, or is this totally unavoidable at this point? Some of these numbers flying around are absolutely terrifying. How am I supposed to pay quadruple all of a sudden?

This is seriously stressing me out, made all the worse by being stuck on a ship, unable to do anything about this. :(

Unfortunately not. Fixed rates are a thing of the past.

We currently use a MyEnergi Eddi to heat water from excess solar. Once our battery storage is fully charged, it automatically uses all excess generated solar (up to 3kwh) to heat the water.
It can also be programmed to heat water through 4 seperate timers for different days, and it support’s two water tanks for different timers & heat settings.

All but useless for when you actually need it during winter.

Will mean we don’t need to use any gas to heat water.

That's what we'll be doing too, whilst central heating will still need gas, we'll just use the log burner more and wear more layers.

Just need to knuckle down and not give in to making deals with Russia.

All but useless for when you actually need it during winter.

For sure. when there is no sun it’s basically just a timer for immersion heating. We will set it to start heating at 3am and finish at 4:30am when our offpeak time finishes.
For 8 months of year though it helps save sending solar to the grid at 4p kWh [If we are not around to manually start the ‘boost’, when excess solar energy starts], and of course it can heat water from 0.1kwh up to 3kwh.[sometimes there isn’t a full 3kwh of spare solar being generated]

Unfortunately not. Fixed rates are a thing of the past.

There are fixed rates available but almost certainly higher than the 1 October cap prices.

The Octopus Tracker still seems to be available and showing capped rates of electricity 55p/kWh and gas 16p/kWh.

I hope this is allowed, but I don't think I've seen anybody link to MSE's calculator. It's accurate enough to get my current prices to the nearest pound, although that doesn't mean it'll be as accurate forecasting the October to January costs.

:(

We've bought thermals for the kids - I'd suggest people buy them now before they go out of stock.

For sure. when there is no sun it’s basically just a timer for immersion heating. We will set it to start heating at 3am and finish at 4:30am when our offpeak time finishes.
For 8 months of year though it helps save sending solar to the grid at 4p kWh [If we are not around to manually start the ‘boost’, when excess solar energy starts], and of course it can heat water from 0.1kwh up to 3kwh.
I looked into an iboost or equivalent but couldn’t really understand how I would benefit from it. We use either our battery or cheap off peak electric to heat our immersion. Even then the majority of it gets wasted due to lack of use. We barely use any hot water.

73489238-C609-4-A03-BDB7-4-A0-A07-C49569.png

Back
Top Bottom