Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

It's ok not putting the heating on, but your house needs the heat in the winter or else your into damp issues etc.

The BFT needs to do something for the 80% of the population not just the the top 20% as usual.

Seriously I hope we riot and wreck all Tory members clubs.

Yeah, that's my worry with trying to cut back on heating - using intervals or off whilst not in etc.
My parents house suffered with damp, as did my previous one - not a nice experience.

Here's what I don't understand.

That bit of oil in the ground over there was sold at $50/barrel, now all of a sudden it's $500/barrel for the same oil coming out the same hole.

Where does that discrepancy happen?

"It's not the energy companies!!"

Well it's one of you's. Sort it out, it's disgustang!
Apparently it supply and demand so it’s perfectly acceptable to profiteer and nothing we can do but accept it.

This is really proving if a country can produce its own power in a clean, nationalised and price honoured way, they really should.

Spare a though for Lithuania, had one nuclear power station, provided 70% of their electricity, necessary condition of joining EU was that they decommission it, so they closed it in 2004 to become an energy importer.

Lithuania was earlier this month paying 100 x more than fellow EU state Sweden for electricity.

From their flagship TV news sources below:

Many parts of Continental Europe often get 10 degrees+ colder than UK during winters, a lot of European countries are in for a harsh few winters over this as well as us.

Something will have to give, there will need to be some similar government financial support to the covid furlough or there will be a lot of trouble ahead.

Apparently it supply and demand so it’s perfectly acceptable to profiteer and nothing we can do but accept it.

What’s your solution? They are global suppliers supplying to a global market and enough people willing to pay the going rate.

If we don’t buy it somebody else will.

Well it is supply and demand on a global scale.
Supply has dropped due to Russia/Ukraine. The supply could be restored if we allowed it, or it will likely to go up anyway over time.

The UK individually still needs to import energy we are not energy positive. So we cannot be completely isolated from the global impact.

Now that being said we could be significantly decoupled from the global issues (ie we would have to buy less at global pricing) if we followed a national strategy of energy extraction being for the national good, but we don't.
IF we choose to nationalised energy extraction (avoiding the issues on who would be performing this etc) then we could certainly see a lower price in the UK for the combined (averaged) cost of utilities.
The public hasn't been for nationalisation of just about anything as a majority so its no real surprise than we haven't had a nationalise energy sector for some time.

The problem with attempting nationalisation during current times would be the valuation of the thing being nationalised would be well up, so nationalising it would cost us all a fortune by another door.
If we force nationalised it and didn't pay a fair price we would simply trash our global reputation, like see direct foreign investment plummet, globals pull out (to avoid risk we would nationalise that next) etc etc

Tbf it's really a Europe problem. Things are bad elsewhere, but not this bad.

They are really really bad in less developed countries that do not have domestic energy production.
They literally cannot afford to buy it

Its just not that news worthy in the UK.

They are however more accustomed to this as an issue than we are. Energy is not taken for granted for a hell of a lot of the globe.

just bought 2 electric blankets. both single bed 40w. one for the lad. he is only 6 and his bedroom juts out and is the coldest room in the house due to 3 external walls

and one for us to put a cross the foot of the bed to keep our feet warm. I hate being hot in bed but when it gets really cold my feet are like lumps of ice. I figure warm feet warm body and the Mrs can have a hot water bottle . only £20 each from Argos.

Don't see the benefit of cutting VAT. The savings from the average general spend aren't enough to encourage consumer confidence as its still wiped out by the increase in bills.

The last VAT cut caused retailers havoc as well and prices rarely dropped by the same %.

The current government might be powerless but no reason why staff at the treasury couldn't have been working out strategies for the new PM. Shouldn't be a rushed panic to think of something.
According to the chancellor a load of options have been prepared which will be presented to the new leader.

But of course both Truss and Sunak are set on their path now, Sunak's been the far more sensible one even if its not enough.

According to the chancellor a load of options have been prepared which will be presented to the new leader.

But of course both Truss and Sunak are set on their path now, Sunak's been the far more sensible one even if its not enough.
there was a graph shown about how truss, Sunak and starmer claim would dish out the cash to help.
truss' was offensive
starmer's looked pie in the sky.

Sunak's imo looked to be on the right lines in terms of the ratios of who gets what but far to low to make a difference imo.

there was a graph shown about how truss, Sunak and starmer claim would dish out the cash to help.
truss' was offensive
starmer's looked pie in the sky.

Sunak's imo looked to be on the right lines in terms of the ratios of who gets what but far to low to make a difference imo.

I saw this. I'll see if I can find it. Was a great visual

Back
Top Bottom