Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Agree with you guys on the Netflix tiers, if they just had FullHD on the basic tier I'd more than likely sub and be happy to pay it, but as a single person I'm not willing to pay extra for screens I'll literally never use, or drop down to non HD.
So instead I just use amazon prime and still not struggling to find enough stuff to watch :)

Government have to do something about Petrol price, this is beyond a joke. £1.58 where I live. Drop the tax or penalise the petrol providers if they're making billions of us. Prices are getting so bad that I'm going to have to look for a new job just to not be poor.

Government have to do something about Petrol price, this is beyond a joke. £1.58 where I live. Drop the tax or penalise the petrol providers if they're making billions of us. Prices are getting so bad that I'm going to have to look for a new job just to not be poor.
Our cheapest garage, Sainsbury's, is now £1.70 for diesel. Madness.

I work for government so can't ask for a pay rise it's all in bands, but I'm gona have to say I'm only working from home because I can't afford to come in

Agree with this. I usually put about 30 in a week for work and school run, that has slowly increased.

As has of course my gas and electric, 90 - 195 now.

Then Sky popped its head in the door and increased me £6.50 a month as well.

Everything going dramatically up

Yep cancelled here yesterday, I signed up to amazon prime instead.

Netlfix need to sort out the rubbish sub plans, and make 4k standard, or just offer the one sub like disney + do.

Not everyone needs 4 screens, but do wish to have 4k. Why not offer a 4k package with less screens, it boggles my mind why they have never changed this. Im sure they would get more people signing up and sticking with the service if they offered a 4k package with less screens. Instead they just lost me.

Bandwidth. One 4K stream is equivalent to 4x 1080p streams, more in practice because most people aren't going to have four streams simultaneously.

Netflix already compress their 1080p stuff to the point it barely looks any better than dvd in order to save on bandwidth.

The number of people that actually care about 4k is tiny compared to the number of customers with multiple screens that don't even support 4k, especially when you consider how little of their content is even in 4k in the first place.

Last edited:
The old days of just wasting energy willy-nilly are long gone.

I gotta agree with the other chaps to an extent from what i've seen. I dunno if London or certain businesses are more heavily focussed on being green, but the places i've been to as a contractor are often the opposite. Old council or job centre buildings were a funny one, i remember old stickers about saying "save water, turn off the tap", or similar under the light switches, that were from the 90s it looked like. So many of our buildings are in dire need of being rebuilt. So much energy wasted in various ways from them.

In reply to Netflix, even at £6.99 i feel it's good value. People being annoyed about the upper package of more screens plus HD i'm agreement with, but that's why i don't pay for it. I still buy DVDs and have a 55" OLED :P

I don't know why the government haven't dropped the fuel tax to help the public or addressed the electricity and gas prices, its profiteering at its finest.
It shows how bad they are, it's a pity we are lumbered with them. They are totally useless and don't seem to care.

Yep cancelled here yesterday, I signed up to amazon prime instead.

Netlfix need to sort out the rubbish sub plans, and make 4k standard, or just offer the one sub like disney + do.

Not everyone needs 4 screens, but do wish to have 4k. Why not offer a 4k package with less screens, it boggles my mind why they have never changed this. Im sure they would get more people signing up and sticking with the service if they offered a 4k package with less screens. Instead they just lost me.

The problem is if 4k is standard I expect it will cost more than what 1080p plan costs now, I dont need 4k, for me 1080p is easily good enough.

However I didnt realise they charging £16 month for it now, these prices are starting to enter sky territory.

There is a limit for me, I dont know what it is, but £16 would be making me think.

The basic plan certainly needs to be at least 720p. A lot of Netflix video is now sent using VP9 codec instead of H264, so it is more efficient on bandwidth, so they can't say it's because the bandwidth costs have increased, because they are sending less data!

For TV (in total) I think my limit is 200 a year.
If netflix go much higher I'd start. To consider TV licence for a year then netflix,or amazon etc. And rotate around.

These companies must be getting towards losing market share if they go much higher.
As a netflix only subscriber the last 3 months have felt a bit barren. So it soon won't be a big loss anyway.

Ive been testing the energy consumption of everything in the house, bought some new monitors, brought down from 40w to 15w.. Extension leads with switches to turn things off at night, took out my landline phone and anything else that's not used to save energy.. I probably average about 6kw a day for electric.. really struggling to find anything else i can do to reducing consumption, soon I think I'll just have to do without, I use £60 for gas and electric a month and it's going to jump up to £200.. Crazy amount.

Back
Top Bottom