Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Ive been testing the energy consumption of everything in the house, bought some new monitors, brought down from 40w to 15w.. Extension leads with switches to turn things off at night, took out my landline phone and anything else that's not used to save energy.. I probably average about 6kw a day for electric.. really struggling to find anything else i can do to reducing consumption, soon I think I'll just have to do without, I use £60 for gas and electric a month and it's going to jump up to £200.. Crazy amount.

Did you buy the monitors to reduce energy consumption?

Sky will be the first to go for many. It's just for the football anyway for most people. I can see more people however using "illegal" IPTV. A mate had this and had literally thousands of channels and had pretty much everything from every countries national channels, hundreds of Discovery/HBO/History/ID etc variants, Sky/Fox/NBC/ABC etc. I think it only cost like £8 per month and everything was at least good 576i quality with many HD streams and even 4k.

Yes PC monitors, old ones were 40w, new 15w.. it all helps.. old PC speakers used a lot too, changed those. used a plug in watt meter to check everything.

With a reduction of 25w you're saving around six pence per day assuming eight hours usage. How long will it take to recoup your investment?

With a reduction of 25w you're saving around six pence per day assuming eight hours usage. How long will it take to recoup your investment?
A long time, but I will see my monthly bill reduced, same reason I buy LED lights, buy A+ appliances, insulated the loft.. for me its not about the upfront high cost, its about reducing my monthly bills even if its a small amount.. This is why I pay £30 for electric a month and others £100..

A long time, but I will see my monthly bill reduced, same reason I buy LED lights, buy A+ appliances, insulated the loft.. for me its not about the upfront high cost, its about reducing my monthly bills even if its a small amount.. This is why I pay £30 for electric a month and others £100..

I'm sure some of your other purchases are worthwhile. Buying new monitors to save a few pence/day less so.

Diesel here in The Hobbit Shires are only £1.21 for the liter but steadily climbing. I have a company fuel card with a £500 limit a month so I should be ok as I barely use half of that at the best of times, but she's definitely creeping up.

Food prices, the missus does all the shopping and she's moaning about prices. I cannot tell you what a pint of milk costs but so far we've not had to increase our budget, just shop less extravagantly.

Electricity we're fairly low users as we have 3 hours free per day. That's when we spank the power company with 2 loads of tumble drying, dishwasher, showers, running our heatpumps at full whack and charge the future Tesla. Our power bill is roughly £70 a month and that's with the missus working from home full time and all the power use that could entail.

We've actually been really lucky ... so far. Netflix and Spotify she gets through her work in a package deal thing. Disney we pay for the year upfront and Amazon costs £4.18 a month here in NZ. Can't really grumble at that.

But in the future I can foresee a lot of people struggling here if the current pricing trajectory continues.

Anecdotally, we're aware of two families at my daughter's play school/daycare that had to withdraw their children due to not being able to keep up with the costs. And this is in a fairly wealthy area. Add that to the most insane house prices on the planet, yea, I cannot see good things in the future.

We've decreased our investment contributions by 50% and redirected that additional money to the mortgage. I'm trying to kill this thing as fast as possible.

Bandwidth. One 4K stream is equivalent to 4x 1080p streams, more in practice because most people aren't going to have four streams simultaneously.

Netflix already compress their 1080p stuff to the point it barely looks any better than dvd in order to save on bandwidth.

The number of people that actually care about 4k is tiny compared to the number of customers with multiple screens that don't even support 4k, especially when you consider how little of their content is even in 4k in the first place.

Not really sure where you’re coming from. Not all Netflix content is in 4K anyway, Disney + offer it as standard. And as you say if not many care for 4K why do they offer a 4K sub?
What I’m saying is make it standard for the little content in 4K anyway, mostly Netflix original content or make a separate 4K sub with 1-2 screens. Anyway this is off topic for this thread.

The problem is if 4k is standard I expect it will cost more than what 1080p plan costs now, I dont need 4k, for me 1080p is easily good enough.

However I didnt realise they charging £16 month for it now, these prices are starting to enter sky territory.

There is a limit for me, I dont know what it is, but £16 would be making me think.

As said above not all content is in 4K anyway, the 4K sub on Netflix only gives you 4K for some content, there is still tons more 1080p content. And other subs such as Disney and prime has 4K and 1080p in one standard sub.

If you're paying 30 a month for electric that says to me you hardly do anything. Efficiency only goes so far. We spend 75 (average), but are a family of 4 and we have quite a few high draw appliances. Not sure hiw you can claim to see a difference in your bill over a monitor change.

Completely depends on your property and consumption, WFH and so on, there are so many variables, I can assure you though for a 'typical user' (most have already moved to LED anyway) but buying LED lights, more efficient appliances and insulating the loft will not reduce your bill from £100 -> £30 per month.

Back
Top Bottom