Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

What’s the general view on Gas at the moment? We are currently on the capped standard tariff which is going up in April. Should we fix somewhere to prevent anymore increases come Oct?

Our annual gas usage is: 14641kwh per year and we’re currently paying 4.18p which is due to increase to 7.51p in April.

When I posted my analysis (now several pages back), I concluded it was better for me to capped SVR, but the fact most of my usage is electric not gas, was a contribution to that.

Gas seems to be going up more than electric meaning using a fixed deal might have more merit for heavy gas users. However I expect fixed deals are getting worse value with every passing day, the fixed octopus is offering now is worse than the one I turned down.

Food inflation seems to have gone under the radar, my shopping bill last week was £72, ordered the same things I ordered in an order in August, and for the same items that was £46.

Yet these are also the same people preaching to us of waste of/on the planet.

Something which has annoyed me in most places I've worked - upper management making a big deal of energy savings, etc. turning off lights when not needed and so on yet when they come in and use the conference room or whatever they leave with all the lights left on, heating or AC left going full whack, etc. etc. without the slightest ****.

We were discussing these at work as someone said there were a load moored up somewhere. He wondered why they can't be used as local generators. I suspect they could be, but lots of time/work would be needed to do it.
We do indeed have a collection of time expired nuclear subs moored up but nobody is bribing them back to life as local power stations. It would be cheaper and easier for Rolls Royce (the only British option for new nuclear)to produce small scale power plants based on the latest tech which they have been talking about for years. It is sad how we went from world leaders in nuclear power to also rans who need to rely on the French and Chinese to design and build for us.

We do indeed have a collection of time expired nuclear subs moored up but nobody is bribing them back to life as local power stations. It would be cheaper and easier for Rolls Royce (the only British option for new nuclear)to produce small scale power plants based on the latest tech which they have been talking about for years. It is sad how we went from world leaders in nuclear power to also rans who need to rely on the French and Chinese to design and build for us.

Rolls Royce SMR is happening. I imagine the current energy price crisis will accelerate this as much as it can. www.edie.net/amp-news/6/UK-Government-kick-starts-approval-process-for-Rolls-Royce-s-small-nuclear-reactors/

Something which has annoyed me in most places I've worked - upper management making a big deal of energy savings, etc. turning off lights when not needed and so on yet when they come in and use the conference room or whatever they leave with all the lights left on, heating or AC left going full whack, etc. etc. without the slightest ****.
Yes and they could bring their own sandwiches instead of ordering in the buffet lunch.:D

As with most things in life the wealthy don’t need to save money, the people at the top of government and the energy companies are not going to be choosing between food and heat next winter!

As with most things in life the wealthy don’t need to save money, the people at the top of government and the energy companies are not going to be choosing between food and heat next winter!
Exactly and its those who will deny they waste the most energy so that those who are less fortunate will be the ones getting hit with high energy bills. Its all a big scandal.

Exactly and its those who will deny they waste the most energy so that those who are less fortunate will be the ones getting hit with high energy bills. Its all a big scandal.
Like the ridiculous standing charge situation punishing those who use less disproportionately, the government should regulate the standing charge so people are paying for what they actually use instead of the poor subsidising the rich.

Premier actually going up to £15.99 from £13.99. Another one for me to cancel to save some monies :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews....ion-tier-when-happening-explained-1509565/amp

Yep cancelled here yesterday, I signed up to amazon prime instead.

Netlfix need to sort out the rubbish sub plans, and make 4k standard, or just offer the one sub like disney + do.

Not everyone needs 4 screens, but do wish to have 4k. Why not offer a 4k package with less screens, it boggles my mind why they have never changed this. Im sure they would get more people signing up and sticking with the service if they offered a 4k package with less screens. Instead they just lost me.

Yep cancelled here yesterday, I signed up to amazon prime instead.

Netlfix need to sort out the rubbish sub plans, and make 4k standard, or just offer the one sub like disney + do.

Not everyone needs 4 screens, but do wish to have 4k. Why not offer a 4k package with less screens, it boggles my mind why they have never changed this. Im sure they would get more people signing up and sticking with the service if they offered a 4k package with less screens. Instead they just lost me.

I seem to get many messages wanting my feedback. Netflix could do with people like you completing these things as I agree its what they should change, however maybe the customers are not doing so.

Companies could turn the heating down at work - pc. in the office people used to wear lighter clothing than we do at home, what does H&S say about temp..

Pity beeb don't do a monthly option as a trial - rather, they send conceited messages
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 17:19:04 +0000
Subject: Relax, you're covered for another 12 months
Reply-To: [email protected]

Utilita (not taking on) , were offering a standing charge free rates , potentially exhorbitant though

We have 8 nuclear facilities already in UK. So Scotland has not only lost the ability to design and create AGR stations – or whatever is the better technology today – but by the early 1990s they had given up interest in sites of future nuclear stations. Scotland’s Government lets us down by shutting eyes and ears to nuclear power, and the research, development and jobs that come from it.

You're going to have to run me through why the blame lies with one devolved government for the entire UK not developing nuclear energy :confused:

Furthermore, energy policy is down to the UK government and is not devolved to the other governments so, even after you explain the first point, you're completely wrong.

And again, you don't know what you're talking about.

My current building consumes £250k in electric alone a month. My client has just spent over £25m on a system that monitors every single kwh of power and where it goes. No penny gets wasted and any light left on overnight needs explaining. The entire industry is pushing ridiculously hard towards net zero, it's in every single publication about the construction and facilities industry.

Shockingly, some companies actually do need the lights on at night, so if you drive past a skyscraper at night and the lights are on, odds are they're needed.

The old days of just wasting energy willy-nilly are long gone.

I seem to get many messages wanting my feedback. Netflix could do with people like you completing these things as I agree its what they should change, however maybe the customers are not doing so.

I've been with netflix since it was first introduced and not once have they emailed me for feedback via an online survey or anything. Seem about as Co sisters as steam survey annoyingly.

Honeslty 1080p should be standard, 4k mid tier and then look at premium as like introducing 8k media.

I've been with netflix since it was first introduced and not once have they emailed me for feedback via an online survey or anything. Seem about as Co sisters as steam survey annoyingly.

Honeslty 1080p should be standard, 4k mid tier and then look at premium as like introducing 8k media.

Yeah they absolutely need to change their tiered model. The wife uses it lots, not so much myself but most apps these days bombard you with feedback chances and this is one of them companies that I would certainly provide hints so maybe they just dont want to listen lol.

Daft question but why do people have the heating on when sleeping? Providing a suitable climate for babies or something?

Family with small children, pets and aquariums. We have it set at a constant 20c, being a small home, the heating costs are low. It also prevents the build up damp with a small window open for air flow, the heating gets turned off about April till October as its not really needed unless there is an odd cold spell.

Back
Top Bottom