Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

They could turn the hot water off :eek:

We could see companies back tracking on their insistence for people to return to the office if costs keep increasing. They might be glad to get people back home if it saves them a bit of money. Employees might not be so keen this time though.
where practical that could be a silverlining to the cloud......... energy prices would have to go up a LOT to cover my 16mile each way commute. mind you i already WFH 2 days a week. Our campus is split with some office work which will absolutely work fine from home (I get more done at home than in the office) but wet lab work does not really work well at home. I think the powers that be may have an issue people bringing human tissue or other samples home to work with in their kitchen :D

I joined GO without a EV, I told them I had no EV just battery and solar. that was Sep 2021.
Just renewed on GO for another year from 24th September, still no EV.
similar story to me... indeed at point of joining i didnt even have a home battery (I do now) but it was a no brainer at the time....... their "on peak" was a penny cheaper on Go/Go faster than their standard green variable tarrif and add to that it was 5p / 5.5p off peak. a complete no brainer.

by the time my renewal came this April the car requirement was in place however because i have a home battery i presume they could see i am pushing a huge amount of my energy use into the off peak hrs (100% in summer and over 60% in winter)............. and ultimately THAT is the primary goal of Go/Go Faster... I imagine Octopus dont really care what car you drive, they just want you using off peak electricity rather than on peak. I do really want an electric car as well however.... even with the current insane prices

I joined GO without a EV, I told them I had no EV just battery and solar. that was Sep 2021.
Just renewed on GO for another year from 24th September, still no EV.

It's new applications that are the main issue I think, if I had it from 2021 like you, pre-EV requirement, I would just renew it until they stopped me as well. Worst they can do is drop you back if you can't provide proof.

When you went to renew did it mention EV requirement at all?

I'm hoping to switch to Agile soon, I will go on import/export, I won't benefit from the cheap overnight charging, but there is scope to arbitrage the export/import cost differences, and generation gets paid for really nicely compared to other SEG tariffs.

It's new applications that are the main issue I think, if I had it from 2021 like you, pre-EV requirement, I would just renew it until they stopped me as well. Worst they can do is drop you back if you can't provide proof.

When you went to renew did it mention EV requirement at all?

I'm hoping to switch to Agile soon, I will go on import/export, I won't benefit from the cheap overnight charging, but there is scope to arbitrage the export/import cost differences, and generation gets paid for really nicely compared to other SEG tariffs.

No mention of needing an EV, just a button to press if you wanted to renew for another year via Email.

Yeah so I'd just do that, but I'd have to outright lie to get onto GO at the moment, which I don't want to do.

I am hoping that Octopus make a solar/battery based tariff sometime, like the Tesla plan but for anyone with solar and battery storage.

get a room.

So it is the companies responsibility when they also are exposed to high energy charges and not making more profits to pay staff more?
through serendipity / green shareholder credentials ... many big companies are locked into fixed price solar/wind energy deals, (McD, probably amazon ...)
shell recently setting up green hydrogen to power the refineries is the lol

if I were to WFH for those 2 days, plus I don't spend 4 hours commuting each day.
three day week - it could recur, govt closes companies because of energy shortage, pay gets cut too; their energy is requisitioned for hospitals/essentials

@HungryHippos

I had to join Octopus on the variable rate first, then I switched straight to GO within 10days of joining them.
I already had a SMETS 2 meter. (the 10days to switch were for them to check they could get the half hourly data from my meter)

Hmm my scottish power has jumped from £220 to £389.

My target is £300 as like most i plan to cut right back as its the absolute most i can afford.

It wont let me set my direct debit to £300, i can see why they are going to be charging their £5 unable to pay fee...

Hmm my scottish power has jumped from £220 to £389.

My target is £300 as like most i plan to cut right back as its the absolute most i can afford.

It wont let me set my direct debit to £300, i can see why they are going to be charging their £5 unable to pay fee...

£ figures without actual usage kwh for gas and electric and unit rates are sort of meaningless.

What is that £300 made up of?

My 2021 daily average usage was 9kWh electric, 45kWh gas.

Probably because your actual usage without SC will be above £300 at those sorts of figures.

Your electric usage looks reasonable, your gas usage is high at more than 16000 kwh for the year.

If you can afford to do so, consider moving to variable DD because you won't have to argue about DD estimates, you'll just pay for usage as you use it. Winter usage would be higher though so likely your bills in December/Jan would be much higher.

Look at cutting back on gas usage a bit if you can, set thermostat lower in winter, and if you have a hot water tank, lessen the window of time it works within/reduce target temp of the tank to a bit over 60C.

Back
Top Bottom