Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

For those looking for electric blankets co op supermarket usually stock them throughout the winter. Lidl and Aldi sometimes have silent night ones on the centre isle. Otherwise Amazon

It may sound odd at first but maybe a layer of foam on top of your mattress?
You can buy a big slab of memory foam, it will insulate the bed a bit underneath keeping heat more trapped.

ok let me share my experience of surviving winter with close to no heating, during the worst year of the greek crisis , thats the 2012-2013 winter i was living alone and had no heating, nothing. No matter what you do you will freeze to the point of despair. Now some may say theres no winter in Greece, i live in the North where it gets really cold, as low as -10 sometimes but the norms are 4-11 degrees. The only material that can keep you warm while sleeping is woollen blankets, they are heavy but they are so warm its unreal. But no matter what a house with little to no heating is unbearable, also some appliances might malfunction like a fridge.

Now i am reading articles like the 24% of houses in the UK will have no heating this winter, it gives shivers down my spine, i have been there and its a nightmare. Imagine having a bath and then walking a house which has an ambient temp of 10 degrees.

ok let me share my experience of surviving winter with close to no heating, during the worst year of the greek crisis , thats the 2012-2013 winter i was living alone and had no heating, nothing. No matter what you do you will freeze to the point of despair. Now some may say theres no winter in Greece, i live in the North where it gets really cold, as low as -10 sometimes but the norms are 4-11 degrees. The only material that can keep you warm while sleeping is woollen blankets, they are heavy but they are so warm its unreal. But no matter what a house with little to no heating is unbearable, also some appliances might malfunction like a fridge.

Now i am reading articles like the 24% of houses in the UK will have no heating this winter, it gives shivers down my spine, i have been there and its a nightmare. Imagine having a bath and then walking a house which has an ambient temp of 10 degrees.
The small detail not mentioned is that UK homes are over-insulated to keep heat in.
Sorry to hear about the nightmare you went through.

insulation is not gonna save the day, buildings here are insulated as well, and i dont think all UK homes are built equal.
Fair point.
But still it is rarely bad enough to worry too much.
I have never used heating since like the age of 18.

If I am desperate I pull out my small heater rated at 1500 watts and use that for 20 mins.

Fair point.
But still it is rarely bad enough to worry too much.
I have never used heating since like the age of 18.

If I am desperate I pull out my small heater rated at 1500 watts and use that for 20 mins.

It will warm your feet, maybe hands too. When you switch it off in 10 mins you'll be back to zero. Forget it, a house is only heated using central heating. AC helps but when you switch it off the space cools down rapidly.

On a second thought an AC is the best solution, make sure the external unit is quality inverter one, when its cold they shut down frequently

The small detail not mentioned is that UK homes are over-insulated to keep heat in.
Sorry to hear about the nightmare you went through.
Uk housing stock is pretty terrible, new builds might be well insulated but most of our houses are old and inefficient.

I've also lived in a house that regularly went down to ~10c in Winter and it was miserable, wouldn't advise it for anyone but certainly not for those with medical conditions. It's just relentlessly miserable when the only place you feel warm is under the duvet.

Uk housing stock is pretty terrible, new builds might be well insulated but most of our houses are old and inefficient.

I've also lived in a house that regularly went down to ~10c in Winter and it was miserable, wouldn't advise it for anyone but certainly not for those with medical conditions. It's just relentlessly miserable when the only place you feel warm is under the duvet.
Yep, it's going to be incredibly depressing for people if they can't put their heating on when they're freezing. That's a miserable existence. My house is only 22 years old but feels like a fridge in a cold winter if the ch is off.

That's the reality here in NZ. The quality houses here are probably worse than those in the UK. I never remember being cold when I was still living at home in the UK.

We have a 2021 built house, double-glazed, fully insulated (even my internal double garage is insulated) and I run a log burner, a heat recovery system and two heat pumps to be comfortable in the winter.

I don't mind being cold but I will NOT subject my wife and daughter to it.

£26 spent on 2 sets of the base layers from Decathlon just now... Hoping to save that back by running the heating lower over Winter.

I'm thinking of getting the same things! I'm guessing that's £4 for delivery unless you got something different to the ski base layers?

Our house is a 1932 build and there's no cavity or wall insulation at all. :(

It's pretty cold in winter and I've set the heating to 15 during the night and 16 or 17 during the day. It's gonna be cold!

If this crisis can actually make a difference to our long term energy and environment responsibilities it will be worth it.

Especially if we hold out do not accept Russian resources while this regime is in power.

TV' do not generate heat, or rather enough to notice

Those Watts gotta go somewhere! ;)

Sounds like my mum's house to be fair - huge old victorian/Georgian (not sure which) house near Carlisle with no central heating - only an Aga in the basement kitchen and log burner in one living room

I love it, but my partner and kids are always cold :s

On the flip side, she's probably going to be less affected than the rest of us!

Back
Top Bottom