Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We keep hearing about this "shortage of supply" and how it's all to blame for this, but unless I have fundamentally misunderstood the nature of electricity, when you do not have enough supply to meet demand the power goes out.

This has NOT been happening, AT ALL. There is a perceived shortage is potential supply, that is it. If we actually had a shortage of supply vs demand, we or other parts of Europe would be suffering brown-outs and rolling black-outs.
So it would seem it is in fact entirely possible for them to lower their profit margin in order to maintain the larger customer base. The difference being, they are choosing not to.

Person and the end of summer declares there can be no shortage of gas because the lights haven't gone out yet and because they could still put their gas powered central heating on....

Let's see how that pans out towards the end of the next winter shall we? You know at the end of that period where gas demand rockets in Northern Europe...

Does anyone have any details on what the predicted unit rates in January (£5,387 estimated annual bill) might be, or how many units they use to come up with the typical yearly bill?

Either my Google fu is failing tonight, or the actual calculation of the cap is a closely guarded secret.

Does anyone have any details on what the predicted unit rates in January (£5,387 estimated annual bill) might be, or how many units they use to come up with the typical yearly bill?

Either my Google fu is failing tonight, or the actual calculation of the cap is a closely guarded secret.
.91p to £1.18 I have seen quoted

Apparently, according to some posters on here, the Bank Of England and the European Central Bank don't need to increase interest rates to control inflation, despite the US Fed doing so and everything priced in USD.

Now then, lets have a look at the Italian 10-year bond: 3.96
And the ECB thought they had this all sewn up in June with their ridiculous bond purchasing nonsense and "fragmentation tools"... whatever.

They publish everything, ofgem publishes spreadsheets that you input all the relevant data and they will do everything for you.

For your question though it will be a reasonable estimate to scale the current rates up by the % of the increase that you see from average figures.

Oh dear.. Oh dear... Oh dear... I think we are all going to fall into a septic tank. 0.91p that's me buggered.
An ever smaller proportion of the population can afford heating.

Seeing unit prices tip towards 1 pound... Crazy

How much would an eV cost to fill of you had a standard tariff at that price??
Edit.
Apparently hyundai ioniq 5 has a 73kw battery capacity.
Damn. That's near parity to petrol. Still cheaper. But the gap is closing!

Boris takes aim at Labour / Lib Dem failures whilst Tory govt gets on with building more nuclear reactors...

boris go big nuclear - can't but help think of Kevin & Perry

£700M hmmh - California (half our population) investing in storage $380M ... if only we could achieve some national battery production capability (even if matching Ca hydro is difficult),
do need to decouple from China for batteries(are you listening Musk) and for solar panel production, too, otherwise we'll give them power, like russia has for gas.

boris go big nuclear - can't but help think of Kevin & Perry

£700M hmmh - California (half our population) investing in storage $380M ... if only we could achieve some national battery production capability (even if matching Ca hydro is difficult),
do need to decouple from China for batteries(are you listening Musk) and for solar panel production, too, otherwise we'll give them power, like russia has for gas.

Energy storage doesn't need to be fancy battery tech or even electrochemical. Mechanical methods are more than good enough (pumped hydro, pressurised air, etc). We don't need anything from China for this. The reason nobody has taken energy storage seriously in recent decades is not that it's difficult, it's because it didn't make much economic sense given the low prices of fossil fuels. Obviously that trade-off has changed.

They publish everything, ofgem publishes spreadsheets that you input all the relevant data and they will do everything for you.

For your question though it will be a reasonable estimate to scale the current rates up by the % of the increase that you see from average figures.

Ah i'll have a look on the ofgem site and see if i can find one.

Cornwall insight publish their predictions on SC and unit rates which i've managed to reverse calculate to come up with approx usage of 2900 for electric, and 12,000 for gas.

I was trying to work out roughly what the unit rates are likely to be in January to see whether it's worth fixing now. Assuming the SC doesn't change much, that'll give the following approx unit rates:

Elec UnitElec SCGas UnitGas SC
Oct variable£0.5189£0.4636£0.1476£0.2849
Fixed£0.6727£0.4224£0.1683£0.2722
Jan variable?£0.7575£0.4636£0.2393£0.2849

Back
Top Bottom