Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Person and the end of summer declares there can be no shortage of gas because the lights haven't gone out yet and because they could still put their gas powered central heating on....

Let's see how that pans out towards the end of the next winter shall we? You know at the end of that period where gas demand rockets in Northern Europe...

Indeed, it's no wonder we are in this situation in the first place when so many people seem to be unable to see past the end of the month, never mind several years into the future! :(

Thats not much worse than the GO tariff, where are you seeing this?

--

Its a variant of Octopus GO. So officially its for EV owners.

Go here, you need to enter post code, then in filters chose domestic/smart and they will all show up.

^^ April 2013.... If I'd been 18 months earlier it would be 50p+ a unit DOH!
Sometime in 2014.
My boss gets that rate. Long since paid for his panels.
Same, all paid for itself now, plan to use the FIT payment now to fund self build Batteries.

Slight hiccup this year....the inverter died, it will be 800 to replace .
Yeah was some crazy prices going on back then, I think I was quoted about £12,000 or something for the actual panels and then I can't remember the pay back on them... Wasn't long to be honest after I bought the house... Think they should bring something like that back in really, from what everone is saying, SEG is the thing now, but how good is it??....

Seems like people with solar get screwed over for trying to help themselves and possibly other when they export but get sod all in return.... I do try to use all of my generated power... I think I might consider a battery if they are thinking about charging £1+/kW... Soon make that back!!

Seems like people with solar get screwed over for trying to help themselves and possibly other when they export but get sod all in return.... I do try to use all of my generated power... I think I might consider a battery if they are thinking about charging £1+/kW... Soon make that back!!

That is why I have a battery indeed, seemed a no brainer to add it with the install.

Also gives a bit more flex in usage, instead of having to zoom to turn stuff on when the sun comes out for an hour :)

Ok, noob at this Solar stuff. I have a quote.

14 x 375w JA solar Panel
5kw solis inverter
Switch gear, cabling, meteri
Pan tile roof mounting kit
Installation
Scaffolding
HIES, MCS, NICEIC package

£5960 (0% vat)

Any good? What should I ask?

14 x 375w JA solar Panel
5kw solis inverter
Installation
Scaffolding

£5960 (0% vat)

similar to my system about what I paid.

does it come with bird proofing?
are you considering a battery?
(I don't know if possible) but if there is a remote control unit for the solis inverter you may want to get it. I love my system but it's a pita having to go in the attic just to swap to BST or GMT and it would be nice to be about to charge or discharge.my battery on a whim. (also feed back here if such a control module exists...... mine as is only goes one way reading from the inverter but can't control it with the app

14 x 375w JA solar Panel
5kw solis inverter
Installation
Scaffolding

£5960 (0% vat)

I have zero knowledge of solar, but that seems like max of 5.25kw of energy production. Which is probably enough to run the average household most of the time (not when doing the washing, boiling a kettle, oven on etc. at the same time).

Does it have a storage system?

Given the energy costs right now that seems reasonable. Could probably save you 2-3k a year.

Have you seen the Keir thread? He is basically selling himself to people like you, making a tory lite party, you should be happy.

No to the unions, no nationalisation, no big spending plans other than the cost of living crisis. (less borrowing than truss).

Or do you simple consider it impossible due to the party name?
Don't trust them.

Some 24" LED monitors could run at 20W, larger high end ones are probably around 40-50W

Not just the monitor though. My Ryzen 1700 system with RX470 graphics uses 260W* on Civ6 gaming. I would allow up to a pound a day for modest gaming. All those with more grunt, allow more. :p

*Closer to 80W for browsing, general office stuff.

14 x 375w JA solar Panel
5kw solis inverter
Installation
Scaffolding

£5960 (0% vat)

Hi, there is a long solar thread going in home and garden section.

To answer your question on the face of it that looks good, we paid about £1000 more for a similar set-up. If you have a hot water tank ask about getting a got water diverter.

For posterity :D

So just to update everyone here, I got the switch replaced and I had a bit of a shock as to the reason why it was broken. It was wired up incorrectly and so much power was going through it, it melted the inside. It was getting hot to the touch. I don't know if the electrician was being dramatic (he's a well trusted guy) but he said if nothing was done about it then it was likely to start an electrical fire within the next few weeks. And we all know how hard they are to put out if you don't have the right equipment. I feel like we dodged a huge bullet there!

On another note it looks like all our hard work is paying off and we managed to get our usage to 8Kwh per day. Which is about £2.75 per day....nice!

This was really hard going, my aim was to reduce as much as possible without actually changing our lifestyle. The only real change to what we do on a daily bases is using an extra remote to turn some smart plugs on/off and the end of the day before bed. It's incredible we managed to reduce our usage to under half what we used to use. I was also surprised how long it took EDF to register the change in usage, i still think they massage the figures a bit by mixing readings with predictions on usage like they use an algorithm of some kind, it's too late to check that now so whatever.

This is my day's usage

The spike was because of the washing machine. but the baseline now is about 0.2-0.25kwh now

So just to update everyone here, I got the switch replaced and I had a bit of a shock as to the reason why it was broken. It was wired up incorrectly and so much power was going through it, it melted the inside. It was getting hot to the touch. I don't know if the electrician was being dramatic (he's a well trusted guy) but he said if nothing was done about it then it was likely to start an electrical fire within the next few weeks. And we all know how hard they are to put out if you don't have the right equipment. I feel like we dodged a huge bullet there!

On another note it looks like all our hard work is paying off and we managed to get our usage to 8Kwh per day. Which is about £2.75 per day....nice!

This was really hard going, my aim was to reduce as much as possible without actually changing our lifestyle. The only real change to what we do on a daily bases is using an extra remote to turn some smart plugs on/off and the end of the day before bed. It's incredible we managed to reduce our usage to under half what we used to use. I was also surprised how long it took EDF to register the change in usage, i still think they massage the figures a bit by mixing readings with predictions on usage like they use an algorithm of some kind, it's too late to check that now so whatever.

This is my day's usage

The spike was because of the washing machine. but the baseline now is about 0.2-0.25kwh now

It really is amazing how much you can reduce usage by just switching things off over night!

6 months ago I rarely turned things off at the plug overnight/when out the house for a few days, the savings weren't worth the effort in my mind!

Back in Feb-Mar I used over 400kwh, but now in July I used around 150kwh, and with the unit price going from 20p to 30p that's hell of a saving!

I think the biggest change was changing my hot water heater from 4 hours a day to 1 hour, as well as turning it off completely when i'm out for a few days as i'm regularly staying at the gfs for a full weekend!

Back
Top Bottom