Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

She is fully entitled to hand over all of her money to energy companies. But that is just a single example the vast majority will not be like that. Certainly not this winter anyway.

Only a small amount of consumption will be able to be cut by the vast majority. That will be the reality.
This is why (residential i have no clue what the hell to do with commercial) i think rather than lump sums of cash, offering a radically reduced 1st X kwh of energy both electricity and gas per month (more on electricity if you dont have gas) and then a tiered pricing for the more you use is a more sensible approach as is really encourages people to be careful.

we have known about this impending issue for 6 months now, there should have been a massive push on insulation as well throughout the summer with subsidies as well for those most at risk. That ship has sailed now of course.

This is why (residential i have no clue what the hell to do with commercial) i think rather than lump sums of cash, offering a radically reduced 1st X kwh of energy both electricity and gas (more on electricity if you dont have gas) and then a tiered pricing for the more you use is a more sensible approach as is really encourages people to be careful.

we have know about this issue for 6 months now, there should have been a massive push on insulation as well throughout the summer with subsidies as well for those most at risk. That ship has sailed now of course.
Yep its the far more sensible way forward, we just put in exceptions for those who need to spend more for health reasons.

I think its the mindset in how we believe the burden should be, where we seem to be against this way of thinking that ultimately means we never see these kind of caps/tariffs.

Can someone recommend me a good energy monitor please. I'd like to see how much electric my gaming PC is using when just browsing and doing office work.
A cheapo watt meter will do the job there, although they can be awkward to read as they sit in the socket. All the ones I have purchased do more than just give a live reading, they will also measure kWh over time.

I would completely support a minimum base use of energy at a cheaper price followed by a rapid ramp up for higher users (with adjustments for those with medical need on top). Its completely sensible and can be done without smart meters too just take regular readings. Something like 3000 kWh electricity and 6000 kWh gas would be appropriate I think, that amount should be fairly cheap unit rates or even a fixed price per household using council tax bands to proxy for size.

Can someone recommend me a good energy monitor please. I'd like to see how much electric my gaming PC is using when just browsing and doing office work.
A smart meter is great for that, can you not get one from your supplier?
Just browsing and stuffs my PC costs 8-10p and hour and 20-22p when gaming.
That was bit of an eye opener :eek:

I would completely support a minimum base use of energy at a cheaper price followed by a rapid ramp up for higher users (with adjustments for those with medical need on top). Its completely sensible and can be done without smart meters too just take regular readings. Something like 3000 kWh electricity and 6000 kWh gas would be appropriate I think, that amount should be fairly cheap unit rates or even a fixed price per household using council tax bands to proxy for size.
Great punish people that can't afford new boilers or central heating or new windows or a modern house.

Reactions: SPG
This makes a lot of sense as it does not penalise low energy users and incentivises people generally to use less energy. Just need to make sure assistance is given to those who most need it as well, as well as long term investments in general at a national level. Also remove the standing charge as it penalises low energy users and those trying to reduce consumption.

I checked this recently, work laptop 8watts my main PC I was using 130watts. Saving almost a Kwh a day by plugging in a laptop into the same monitors etc. Doesn't sound a lot but at October cap that's £10 a month !

Great punish people that can't afford new boilers or central heating or new windows or a modern house.
Families penalised whist living on your own you can carry on wasting electric on watching love Island and posting crap on tic tok and moaning how hard done you are all?

Sounds about right?

I checked this recently, work laptop 8watts my main PC I was using 130watts. Saving almost a Kwh a day by plugging in a laptop into the same monitors etc. Doesn't sound a lot but at October cap that's £10 a month !

I have a corsair gold 850w and a 3080ti. My PC is running between 7am and 7pm on the days I work from home (two days at the minute). The other week days maybe 3hrs, and god knows at the weekend, probably 12hrs again.

Think a good 60hrs a week rounded up

How much do you think it's costing me?

I have a corsair gold 850w and a 3080ti. My PC is running between 7am and 7pm on the days I work from home (two days at the minute). The other week days maybe 3hrs, and god knows at the weekend, probably 12hrs again.

Think a good 60hrs a week rounded up

How much do you think it's costing me?
All depends what you're doing with the PC, since a large proportion of the power budget typically goes to the gfx card. if you're gaming at max FPS for hours on end, it's gonna be eating up power, but if you're just doing some spreadsheets / browsing (low GPU intensive work) it won't be too bad.
If I'm gaming my setup will pull about 550w at the wall constantly, so every couple of hours is another kW/h. But if I'm just browsing / watching youtube, the load is very low so it's maybe pulling 140w at the wall.

Just to see how low I can get my usage, I turned off the immersion heater and under counter beer/wine fridge, only used the dishwasher/washing machine once during the week, swapped out a couple of bulbs that weren't LED, and also bought a Firestick to use when streaming stuffs, rather than having the PC running, and used my air frier rather than the oven.
I don't think that's too bad for a weeks use..

u5Fh74N.jpg

Back
Top Bottom