Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Sorry about my post. I thought it was just referral links that weren't allowed to be posted, I didn't realise I couldn't invite people for a referral. :o

Associate
Was on the Avro Simple and Better tariff £82 per month dual fuel.

Cheapest via comparison was Pureplanet - app based so had a go with them. Works out £107.03 october to march, then £71 april - sept.

£25 amazon voucher via referral if anyone else would like to give them a spin - email in trust.

Soldato
Been looking at making the switch since I moved into this house so using my spreadsheet that if I used the same amount of gas and electricity as last year at the current rate on the default British Gas tariff I'm currently on I'll be paying £200 less with Pure Planet. Was £160 with Bulb so reckon that's OK. Anyone with any reasons why not to switch to PP please let me know..

Edit post edited to clear any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bulb are messing me around now. Got through on chat to be told there was an error generating my final bill, be sorted later that day. Nothing.
Asked again to do, promised i would get it later today.

Complaint time tomorrow, wouldn't mind but they have about £150 they owe me back.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
^ just to be clear on the above a few post earlier, thanks for highlighting gang but if you spot - it looks lime iamdjdz wants someone to refer him, not giving out a referral aiui.

So anyone who wants to can continue with the spirit of the thread and refer him.

Soldato
Not impressed with Bulb so far, took my first DD out on the 29th October as expected, and they've just taken another one out today! My next payment was set up for the 15th. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not impressed with Bulb so far, took my first DD out on the 29th October as expected, and they've just taken another one out today! My next payment was set up for the 15th. :rolleyes:

Thats odd. Get in touch with them for an explanation. Their CS has been good when I've had to use them.

Soldato
Anyone switching again? Octopus just announced a price hike of about £10+ a month for me, got 4 weeks to move. Seems like the usual customer grab and hike the price.

MSE is showing a few places that are still holding at the older pricing (Peoples Energy, Outfox and Pure Planet), cheapest fix is with Scottish Power at about £50 more but still about £100 less than what I will be paying on Octopus. Worth fixing or going with one of the slightly cheaper ones and hoping they don't increase over the next few months? Any thought on if the above three will hold their prices?

Soldato
Thats odd. Get in touch with them for an explanation. Their CS has been good when I've had to use them.
Yes, they apologised and refunded the money, although it won't be in my account until next week. Not a good start TBH, and will be keeping a close eye on things.At least it's easy to leave if they mess me around.

Soldato
Anyone switching again? Octopus just announced a price hike of about £10+ a month for me, got 4 weeks to move. Seems like the usual customer grab and hike the price.

MSE is showing a few places that are still holding at the older pricing (Peoples Energy, Outfox and Pure Planet), cheapest fix is with Scottish Power at about £50 more but still about £100 less than what I will be paying on Octopus. Worth fixing or going with one of the slightly cheaper ones and hoping they don't increase over the next few months? Any thought on if the above three will hold their prices?

I'm looking at switching from Bulb, their prices rise in 8 days IIRC. Outfox are by far the cheapest for me, not heard much about them. I've heard they have risen prices recently, but even so, they are a decent saving.

Soldato
After just over a year Economy Energy have finally satisfied the Ombudsman and sorted my complaint out.

It started when they randomly added £200+ to my opening balance on one bill compared to the closing balance on the previous bill.

After months of not doing anything they tried to resolve it when the Ombudsman got involved, presenting me with a pair of bills that added over £2000 between closing and opening balances.

Obviously I referred them back to the Ombudsman, in the end Economy Energy ended up not billing me for 6 months of gas as they were too stupid to be able to calculate the amounts in line with the Ombudsman's ruling.

Now to move suppliers..

Soldato
Got my bulb refund a few days ago, pretty painless. Also just got my Octopus referral credit so time to switch now they are jacking up the price.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Anyone here on First Utility? If so, can I have a referral? Think we both get some Amazon gift cards: https://www.first-utility.com/help/saving-energy-and-money/refer-a-friend-reward

I am on Octopus at the moment but the price increase is OTT for me, so i'm moving to First Utilitys "Smart First February 2020 v2" dual fuel tariff.

New Octopus unit rate (on their 'loyalty tariff) is 14.784p (vs First Utility of 16.482p), but the standing charge is 18.8p for octopus, vs 6.5p on First Utility. Works out about £70 a year cheaper for me, plus First Utility is fixed for 15 months.

Ignore, I'm not having a smart meter, thats for sure.

Last edited:
Associate
Can't help with the referral, but I just left First Utility for another supplier. Overall they were fine and only moved because I found a cheaper tariff.

Man of Honour
I've been with First Utility for a few years now as they've been there abouts on price. Octopus look a tiny bit cheaper but not much in it. Pure Planet look quite a bit cheaper for me but would need to look into them a bit. I noticed they don't have a daily standing rate but some membership charge instead? I could only see a 12 month deal with them as well?

What does accepting a referral on PP give me?

Back
Top Bottom