England: What went wrong? (serious discussion) **SPOILERS**

Caporegime
Gilly said:
Not even slightly.

A yellow card would have been harsh. There was no intent in that 'stamp' and I'm absolutely astounded that it is going to be looked into for further punishment rather than being overturned.

Hmmm well after looking at the highlights, its debatable whether or not it was intentional or purely an accident. But the fact that FIFA are investigating it further is a complete utter joke tbh. What is the point of that??, he got a red card so leave it at that.

I dont blame Rooney for giving that portugese **** a push, as far as im concerned he deserved it...if it was me i would knocked 7 shades outta him..smug little ****. Dont get me wrong, im not Rooneys biggest fan but the way he was treated yesterday...well i sympathise with him. Yes he was fustrated and lashed out as a result of that fustration...i just hope he learns from this and becomes a better player than he already is.

Man of Honour
The media may portray him in a bad light, or they could paint a different picture and suffer along with him.

I don't think proper footy fans will make a scapegoat of him.

Caporegime
Gilly said:
Not even slightly.

A yellow card would have been harsh. There was no intent in that 'stamp' and I'm absolutely astounded that it is going to be looked into for further punishment rather than being overturned.

Agreed, if you ask me he didn't mean it. He has to put his foot somewhere ffs. Can't believe people are actually giving him a hard time about it.

Bottom line is the ref was a total joke, not making excuses but it's true.

Associate
Agree with a lot of the points made,

without a doubt, taking walcott, then not playing him, especially in our last group game when we knew we were through is idiotic.

Lennon played well, he should have been brought on more quite frankly, possibly even started ahead of hargreaves, maybe supporting rooney.

Carrick should have started, he played well in the previous game, considering it was the first match using that formation, his passing skills are top notch.

Should have taken lamps off, wouldn't have liked doing it, but lamps needed to be subbed, just wasn't performing.

Or, could even put gerrard in a SS position, supporting rooney, lamps centre mid, with carrick maybe?

Sven ain't got a clue.

Agree with gilly, there is no way that was a stamp... rooney wasn't even looking down at the man, complete rubbish. So many decisions this world cup were awful, especially from the linesmen, I mean, there were numerous goals that were disallowed, when replays show clearly onside, and vice versa.

SCM

SCM

Associate
Spawn said:
Hmmm well after looking at the highlights, its debatable whether or not it was intentional or purely an accident. But the fact that FIFA are investigating it further is a complete utter joke tbh. What is the point of that??, he got a red card so leave it at that.

They might be deciding in conjuction with the refs report on how long the ban might be if they think it was deliberate. Thats the only reason i can think to investigate it and it did look a harsh sending off.

SCM

Soldato
Gilly said:
I don't think proper footy fans will make a scapegoat of him.

I can clearly see that already happening in this forum, it also makes it easier in my eyes to spot the lack of football knowledge being displayed here as well.

I'm glad some people have found their scapegoat, it makes it so much sweeter that he's a Man Utd player, the way I'm feeling now, I would love it if he said **** you and retired from International football. The treatment Beckham got last time around was despicable. Was Beckham stupid? Yes, but in no way did he deserve the treatment he received around England. No other country would crucify one of their star players like that.

England have underperformed the whole tournament, getting the results but nothing really spectacular performance wise. The way that game was going against Portugal had extra time and penalties written all over it even before Rooney was sent off.

It is refreshing to read proper responses here, certainly separates the men from the boys in Sports Arena.

Soldato
I went into the World Cup telling anyone who would listen;
Lampard is crap
Joe Cole is crap
Hargreaves is class

Points 1 and 3 were proven very nicely, although Cole was brilliant in patches.

A 4-4-2 with Hargreaves and Gerrard in the centre with Rooney and Crouch up front would've been a solid formation. Vs Portugal we were solid in defence, but consequently we couldn't attack properly.

Man of Honour
Lampard is not crap. He's no Gerrard but there's more to his game than goals - otherwise he'd be a forward.

He still needed to get into the positions to shoot. He was off form, we know that, but form is temporary. Class is permanent.

Soldato
its so obvious the system england had for the players was a failure.

not the players themselves.

organisation was needed,.... oh and a natural goalscorer.

has england actually got any natural goalscorers left after owen?.. good ones? people can say bent, but time is needed.

defoe isnt really a decisive goalscorer

we need another shearer

Soldato
it is a tad worrying that there are no real true goalscorers coming through yet.

i know people will think i am bias.. but barring shearer and owen... we have no one that we can really say.. they are definitely going to score for us today

a 1 in 2 international striker

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I went into the world cup with quite low expectations. I always liked Hargreaves, but thats down to the fact he scored the winning goal vs Brazil in the world cup final on this is football 2004 hard mode :p

I was genuinely excited about Gerrard, he is one of those players who you know can change things in the blink of an eye. Other than that I was a little dissapointed. Peter Crouch never looked like a dangerous striker to me, he lacks manouverability and his game seems to rely on him being in the right place at the right time. When I watched Shearer and Owen playing in France 98 it always seemed like something was going to happen when they got the ball. With Crouch and Rooney there was just no sense of that.

I just hope Mclaren has the strength of character to drop the players that need dropping and make the difficult decisions so the team finally gels.

Associate
Gilly said:
Lampard is not crap. He's no Gerrard but there's more to his game than goals - otherwise he'd be a forward.

He still needed to get into the positions to shoot. He was off form, we know that, but form is temporary. Class is permanent.

Gilly, I always thought you would take Lamps over Gerrard and day of the week?! :p.

Back
Top Bottom