England XI v India **spoilers**

Soldato
Im looking forward to seeing how Cook and Monty do. Agree with Udal, better get a young player in for future than try and stick with Udal who hasnt really impressed anyway. Think Plunkett will get the nod if fit, his batting has been decent so another chance for him, quite like him. Need Bell to continue his better form on the sub continent to hold together that top order a bit.

Soldato
Big Kev said:
Udal isn't the answer, we desperately need a spinner and I think we should be blooding Monty now, rather than letting an ageing Udal plod his way through, give Monty some much needed experience.

Blooding Panesar in India is a pretty risky tactic. He will be coming up against players who have smacked the likes of Warne and Murali around in India so it will be very difficult for him. If he gets a tonking there it might be hard for him to take, also with him being a sikh player playing against India he might get a bit of extra stick especially from the press which will only upset him and his family further. I personally would only play him as a last resort.

England need as much batting depth as they can get due to the injury problems so I think Fletcher will go with Blackwell. No point playing two spinners either because if England are to win this series they will have to do it like the Aussies did, immaculate line and length and even though this might sound odd, hope the Indians are in bad nick. The only reason the Aussies won was because India were in very poor form and even then if one of the matches hadn't been ruined due to rain India probably would have drawn the series. They are dodgy as **** away from home but they are unbelievably strong at home.

Soldato
If we stand any chance in this series whatsoever, we need to be positive imo. Ok so the Indians are the best players of spin in the world, but I still think Monty should be given a go. He's our most attacking spinner (actually maybe he's our only attacking spinner) and would do more than just hold an end up and keep it tight while the quicks try at the other end.

The Indians have been watering the outfield, so there is unlikely to be much reverse swing, that means we need accurate bowling from the three quicks and the spinners to make use of a dry pitch. Playing a fourth quick doesn't make any sense, so I think Monty and Blackwell should both play. Collingwood could be used for bowling as well, though it's likely he would be used just to keep things tight, can't see him taking many wickets.

It's an impossible task but with a bit of luck Freddie can get the team fired up and they can come out fighting.

Soldato
And they've gone for the 2 pronged spin attack with Monty getting in at number 11 and Blackwell getting Giles's spot.

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Blackwell
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

Soldato
157/4 not brilliant but not absolutely desperate. Shame Bell and Pietersen both scored poorl, let's hope Freddy and Collingwood can form a decent partnership after tea. Good to see Cook get a fifty, shows promise for the future :)

Soldato
Just agressive to the wrong balls. Other than that we've had quite a low run rate and maybe didnt attack the spinners if anything.

Soldato
Either way, they got themselves out rather stupidly. Still, wouldn't have mattered if Freddy hadn't been given out, him and Collingwood were forming a good partnership. One good thing is that Colly seems to be taking on a Thorpish role this match of staying in there and not letting them get him out whatever.

Soldato
As much as I like the guy, KP really has to start thinking about looking after his wicket a bit more. Freddie seems by and large to have conquered his tendency to get out early with a rash shot, would be nice if KP could do the same thing :)

Back
Top Bottom