England XI v India **spoilers**

Soldato
Mad old tory said:
367 ahead at the close, should we declare overnight do you reckon?

Of course we will, there's no way they'll go for that total, risking a defeat, so up to our bowlers to try and get more out of the track than India did, which won't be easy as it looks pretty flat now.

Soldato
I reckon they could get 367 in a day. And if they lost a few wickets they have the ability to shut up shop and see out the day. Declaring at 367 risks defeat. Send Cook and Collingwood back out in the morning with instructions to throw the bat. Try to add 50 in the first half hour, then declare.

Soldato
MikeTimbers said:
I reckon they could get 367 in a day. And if they lost a few wickets they have the ability to shut up shop and see out the day. Declaring at 367 risks defeat. Send Cook and Collingwood back out in the morning with instructions to throw the bat. Try to add 50 in the first half hour, then declare.

They could get the 367, although it would be their second highest 2nd innings chase ever, so very, very unlikely, especially against our bowling line up.

We could throw the bat around for half an hour, but I'd rather give them an unlikely, but possible total to start chasing down, then we'd have a better chance of taking wickets and winning the game, but if we put on 50 in half an hour, that means that they would shut up shop from the start and a draw would be the most likely outcome.

I also think that Freddie and the team would fancy their chances of getting them out as well, we're a pretty attacking set up now and I'd back them to get the win as well.

Soldato
why the hell is Ian bell still in the team. He is useless, he can pull some good cathes but thats it. he cannot bat. Same here so far same in pakistan and same in england against the ausies.

Utterly butterly useless :o

Soldato
Big Kev said:
They could get the 367, although it would be their second highest 2nd innings chase ever, so very, very unlikely, especially against our bowling line up.

We could throw the bat around for half an hour, but I'd rather give them an unlikely, but possible total to start chasing down, then we'd have a better chance of taking wickets and winning the game, but if we put on 50 in half an hour, that means that they would shut up shop from the start and a draw would be the most likely outcome.

I also think that Freddie and the team would fancy their chances of getting them out as well, we're a pretty attacking set up now and I'd back them to get the win as well.

Agreed. Batting on sends the wrong message. Back your bowlers to bowl them out, or at least keep it tight when they have good spells. They are not reknowned for coping well with the pressure, play on that.

Man of Honour
OP
We'll definitely declare overnight, KP as good as said it in his post match interview, whether we can get them out depends on 2 things I reckon. Getting at least 2 wickets with the first new ball & Monty bowling well. I bet he can't believe the position he's in, debut Test & a real chance of helping us win, it'll be a big day for him.
As for Cook, I felt elated for the lad, amazing concentration & application for a 21yr old.
The best thing to come from the first 4 days is the fact that Cook & Monty know they can play at this level:)
It has to be said that India were poor in the field, that's tough & down to losing interest I think:)

Soldato
Bell will come good in this series, he batted well against Pakistan and will do again against the Indians. Let's hope Hoggy can keep his bowling form up for this innings, be nice if he could get 10 for the match :)

Soldato
Going to be very hard for India to chase this total down. Though there is one man in that team who while he is there that total will not be out of India's reach, I'm talking of Sehwag. If he is batting India are ALWAYS going at over 4 an over so 90 x 4 = 360. In his peak Tendulkar would have been a threat but even though I hate to say it I am starting to believe he is past it in test matches. Another potential threat is Dhoni who has made a habit of helping India chase down imposing totals in quick time. Incredibly hard though against a very disciplined bowling attack.

I think only two results are possible tomorrow. If it rains overnight and there is swing available I think England will win this match however if it stays like it is then probably a draw.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't think they can get the total even if Sehwag & Dhoni fire on all cylinders. There's only been about 1000 runs scored in 4 days, so scoring another 100 on top of the daily average is nigh on impossible on that pitch. They've got the players to do it but I just don't think anything is in their favour.
There's no rain forecast 'til Monday either, so it's gonna be tough to get any help through the air.
Any other fools getting up at 4.30?:)

Back
Top Bottom