England XI v India **spoilers**

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
Harmison's out with bone stress apparently :rolleyes: How much bad luck can 1 tour have?:(

Really shame for Harmison as well because I thought he was finally finding his line and length in the sub continent and the pace in his bowling had picked up as well which was causing some problems.

Soldato
Now Cook is out with gastroenteritis and Owais Shah comes in, as do James Anderson and Shaun Udal, with Plunkett losing out.

India won the toss and are bowling first, which is ok, as Freddie wanted to bat first anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for putting us in Dravid :confused: :)
Bell openend with Strauss but he went for 18, Shah & Strauss are doing great now though, 156-1, they're both playing the spin really well:)
Middlesex:cool:

Edit: Shah's just got his 50...

Edit again: Shah had to retire hurt after tea (cramps) but Strauss has just got his 100, 176-1:)

More fun: 200-1, go Dravid, go Dravid....

Last edited:
Soldato
272/3 at stumps, pietersen made 39, strauss out for 128

Collingwood and Flintoff are together on 16 and 17.Great day's play for England, am I right in thinking Shah can come back in at the fall of the last wicket, if he's up to it?

Soldato
Well played the England lads because they were gifted a chance to bat and they have taken advantage of it. Good to see Shah do well, he is actually from the same school as me and my sports teacher used to tell us about him and how he was a good batsman so good to see him do well.

Gotta say I was well impressed with Munaf Patel, that guy just didn't get any luck and on a pitch that was flat to say the least he was giving some top quality batsman a lot of problems. Good to see an Indian bowler who actually bowls yorkers as well because the rest of them usually either will bowl a full toss or bowl it right in the slot. Also has a steep bouncer which gave some batsman some problems, think he had Pietersen in a bit of trouble with one real nasty one. Well played to him because he kept going and the future is bright for him if he can keep it going and hope he does because it is about time India had one good fast bowler in their side!

Soldato
England well in control here and look like they are gonna have a lead going into their second innings. The pressure of being so many runs behind has got to them and wickets are being taken at regular intervals.

Jones has taken some good catches and the main difference in both innings has been England have taken their catches. I think India had around 6 dropped catches, all simple as well which at this level just isn't on and they were made to pay for it.

England got to wrap up the tail, make a quick 200-250 and get India into bat as soon as they can because they want at least 4 sessions to bowl at India imo.

Man of Honour
OP
All out for 279, so a handy 121 lead:)
We let the tail get too many again, but it's still a good position to be in...

**** it, Strauss is out already, 9-1:(

Now Bell too, 21-2

Last edited:
Soldato
Not an awful position to be in given we won't want to bat for too long tomorrow anyway, as long as the rest of the batsman can put a couple of hundred runs on.

Been impressed with the players coming in so far this tour, Cook, Shah, Panesar & Anderson have all performed to a good standard against a v. good Indian team. Also Hoggard has impressed as well with his bowling throughout.

Would love to win this Test but IMO given the injuries and number of inexperienced players I think even a 1-0 loss overall wouldn't be the end of the world.

Man of Honour
OP
Udal, KP & Shah all went earlyish, but Collingwood & Freddie have dragged us up to 137-5, a 250+ lead. It's been really slow so far & we either need to step it or get bowled out if we're going to win this I reckon.

Soldato
I haven't watched it, but what a boring batting display by England, just over 2 runs per over, looks like we were too scared to open up.

I've predicted that we'll get them out tomorrow, with Jimmy taking five, but my mate has bet on an Indian win.

Soldato
Apparently everytime they tried to accelerate, a wicket went down. Captains innings from Flintoff again, he's really stood up and delivered this series again imo. I think a draw is unlikely tommorrow, if India bat out the day, they should at least get very close to this target. Hopefully we can get the other 9 wickets though, i don't think we've deserved to lose this series on balance...

Soldato
Big Kev said:
I haven't watched it, but what a boring batting display by England, just over 2 runs per over, looks like we were too scared to open up.

I think England did ok against the seamers but there was a lot of bounce and turn extracted by Kumble and Harbajhan and it was very hard to score runs off them.

Can go either way tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom