Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
That is the nightmare scenario if steam end up playing the same game. I really hope they dont go down that route.

They probably will and as that Indie dev said Valve doesn't prevent them from generating non-Steam keys which they can sell elsewhere,probably cheaper as they can take 100% of the revenue if they sell the keys directly themselves.

Imagine if Steam only allowed game keys sold on Steam?? It wouldn't surprise me one bit Valve starts limiting that,then matching Epic games moves. It might be the end of a lot of these third party stores TBH.

Already,GOG seems to be cutting jobs and ending regional pricing:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-program-for-consumers-to-give-devs-large-cut
https://kotaku.com/facing-financial-pressures-gog-quietly-lays-off-at-lea-1832879826

Epic store has no regional pricing unlike Steam and GOG,so it appears in another of regions prices are significantly more expensive and this is what key resellers do,ie,they exploit regional pricing differences. I expect a lot of the smaller competitors to Steam and Epic to start folding eventually.

The only way to have proper competition is to have games sold on all the major storefronts,and let people decide if they want to go with what storefront they want dependent on pricing,features,etc.

Once you start locking 3rd party games to stores,there is no real competition longterm,as if you want that game its the only place you can get it.

OTH,I also didn't like the fact Valve forgot about its own games since it cared more about Steam. So I am hoping they actually get off their arse and start investing in their own games again.

Valve also needs to seriously also monitor its own storefront too - their laziness also has not helped them one bit. Hopefully this will be another kick up the arse they deserved. If not Epic will use all that Tencent money and Valve itself might go down the drain in a few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

Epic CEO in 2016 said:
With its new Universal Windows Platform (UWP) initiative, Microsoft has built a closed platform-within-a-platform into Windows 10, as the first apparent step towards locking down the consumer PC ecosystem and monopolising app distribution and commerce.

In my view, this is the most aggressive move Microsoft has ever made. While the company has been convicted of violating antitrust law in the past, its wrongful actions were limited to fights with specific competitors and contracts with certain PC manufacturers.

This isn’t like that. Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games.

Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

Windows Store and UWP
I’m not questioning the idea of a Windows Store. I believe Microsoft has every right to operate a PC app store, and to curate it how they choose. This contrasts with the position the government took in its anti-trust prosecution, that Microsoft’s free bundling of Internet Explorer with Windows was anti-competitive.

My view is that bundling is a valuable practice that benefits users, and my criticism is limited to Microsoft structuring its operating system to advantage its own store while unfairly disadvantaging competing app stores, as well as developers and publishers who distribute games directly to their customers.

The specific problem here is that Microsoft’s shiny new “Universal Windows Platform” is locked down, and by default it’s impossible to download UWP apps from the websites of publishers and developers, to install them, update them, and conduct commerce in them outside of the Windows Store.

It’s true that if you dig far enough into Microsoft’s settings-burying UI, you can find a way to install these apps by enabling “side-loading”. But in turning this off by default, Microsoft is unfairly disadvantaging the competition. Bigger-picture, this is a feature Microsoft can revoke at any time using Windows 10’s forced-update process.

The Solution
If UWP is to gain the support of major PC game and application developers, it must be as open a platform as today’s predominant win32 API, which is used by all major PC games and applications. To the PC ecosystem, opening UWP means the following:

• That any PC Windows user can download and install a UWP application from the web, just as we can do now with win32 applications. No new hassle, no insidious warnings about venturing outside of Microsoft’s walled garden, and no change to Windows’ default settings required.
  • That any company can operate a store for PC Windows games and apps in UWP format – as Valve, Good Old Games, Epic Games, EA, and Ubi Soft do today with the win32 format, and that Windows will not impede or obstruct these apps stores, relegating them to second-class citizenship.
  • That users, developers, and publishers will always be free to engage in direct commerce with each other, without Microsoft forcing everyone into its formative in-app commerce monopoly and taking a 30% cut.
This true openness requires that Microsoft not follow Google’s clever but conniving lead with the Android platform, which is technically open, but practically closed. In particular, Android makes it possible to install third-party applications outside of the Google Play store, which is required for Google to comply with the Linux kernel’s GNU General Public License. However, Google makes it comically difficult for users to do so, by defaulting the option to off, burying it, and obfuscating it. This is not merely a technical issue: it has the market impact of Google Play Store dominating over competing stores, despite not being very good.

Does Microsoft think independent PC developers and publishers, who cherish their freedom, are going to sign up for this

Microsoft has certainly followed this lead in technically exposing, but practically burying, options that let users escape from its force-bundled services. If you’ve tried to change your Windows 10 search engine, web browser, or movie player, or to turn off their invasive new lock-screen ads, Windows search bar Bing spam, and invasive “analytics”, you know what I’m talking about. It’s a deliberately anti-customer experience: the options are there, but good luck finding them.

The ultimate danger here is that Microsoft continually improves UWP while neglecting and even degrading win32, over time making it harder for developers and publishers to escape from Microsoft’s new UWP commerce monopoly. Ultimately, the open win32 Windows experience could be relegated to Enterprise and Developer editions of Windows.

An Open PC Ecosystem is a Vibrant One
Valve’s Steam distribution service is booming with over 100m users, and publishers like Adobe, Autodesk, Blizzard, Riot Games and EA are operating highly successful businesses selling their games and content directly to consumers.

Microsoft’s situation, however, is an embarrassment. Seven months after the launch of Windows Store alongside Windows 10, the place remains devoid of the top third-party games and signature applications that define the PC experience. Where’s Photoshop? Grand Theft Auto V? Fifa 2016? There are some PC ports of what were great mobile games, and some weirder things, such as the Windows 10 port of the Android port of the PC version of Grand Theft Auto from 2004.

But the good PC stuff isn’t there, with the exception of Microsoft’s own software products. Does Microsoft really think that independent PC developers and publishers, who cherish their freedom and their direct customer relationships, are going to sign up for this current UWP fiasco?

In my view, if Microsoft does not commit to opening PC UWP up in the manner described here, then PC UWP can, should, must and will, die as a result of industry backlash. Gamers, developers, publishers simply cannot trust the PC UWP “platform” so long as Microsoft gives evasive, ambiguous and sneaky answers to questions about UWP’s future, as if it’s a PR issue. This isn’t a PR issue, it’s an existential issue for Microsoft, a first-class determinant of Microsoft’s future role in the world.

Why We Fight
As the founder of a major Windows game developer and technology supplier, this is an op-ed I hoped I would never feel compelled to write. But Epic has prided itself on providing software directly to customers ever since I started mailing floppy disks in 1991. We wouldn’t let Microsoft close down the PC platform overnight without a fight, and therefore we won’t sit silently by while Microsoft embarks on a series of sneaky manoeuvres aimed at achieving this over a period of several years.

This day has been approaching for over 18 months, and I need to give credit to Microsoft folks, especially Phil Spencer, for always being willing to listen to Epic’s concerns with UWP’s paradigm, and to proposed solutions. Because they listened very patiently, I hoped and believed that Microsoft would do the right thing, but here we are. Microsoft’s consumer launch and PR around UWP are in full swing, and this side of the story must be told.

Microsoft’s intentions must be judged by Microsoft’s actions, not Microsoft’s words. Their actions speak plainly enough: they are working to turn today’s open PC ecosystem into a closed, Microsoft-controlled distribution and commerce monopoly, over time, in a series of steps of which we’re seeing the very first. Unless Microsoft changes course, all of the independent companies comprising the PC ecosystem have a decision to make: to oppose this, or cede control of their existing customer relationships and commerce to Microsoft’s exclusive control.

What a difference a few years and Tencent's backing makes?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
This good news in a twisted way.

Maybe we will get a good common linux build for gaming thst is not backed by google or microsoft. Its a shame valves version never really kicked off. A gaming OS for gaming by a gaming company (kinda)

Soldato
Ah, The Witness is meant to be pretty good, I remember hearing that it was a touch short but decent puzzler

Actually its a good game, I got it for PS4 a while back, its got a lot of secrets and some ingenious puzzles. Very good game, and for free I'll say yes, worth grabbing

Right

As for the Store, isn't this exclusive agreements down to Epic giving publishers a sort of guarantee that the game will sell so many numbers on their platform and if not, they , Epic will give the publisher the money to cover the title if it under-performs? Sure I read this somewhere?

Problem with Epic store, and all the others - its not as mature as Steam, so things like native controller support for anything other then xinput, pretty decent overlay, which gives instant access to controller schemes, guides, chat, forums and all host of useful stuff when playing games, none of the others come close to the Steam overlay - especially when used in big picture mode .

Its just a shame some of the bigger newer releases are being released exclusive to one platform, thankfully some are for only a year, but its still a bit of blow for Steam fans.

Soldato
What screwed GOG is the reduced store cut, Epic claimed its viable, whats happened at GOG proved it isnt.

So interestingly GOG were using their cut to make things fairer to those outside of good ol america.

Soldato
What screwed GOG is the reduced store cut, Epic claimed its viable, whats happened at GOG proved it isnt.

So interestingly GOG were using their cut to make things fairer to those outside of good ol america.

The problem is that more and more exclusives means less and less potential games on their platform.

Also if you are talking about regional pricing,Steam,Origin,etc also do it too. Its apparently how they approach piracy,ie,using sales in richer regions to enable them to cut margins in poorer markets,so they can offer better pricing and make piracy less attractive. It is also how key resellers work too,ie,they use keys bought in those regions and sell them to us.

Epic Games Store does not have regional pricing so it means on forums people have said games in their countries will go up massively in price.

I really don't understand what Epic are trying to do here - allow the games on multiple platforms. If their platform is more cost effective it can be reflected in lower relative game prices to more established platforms like Steam,GOG,etc. Let the consumer make the choice. Apparently the Epic CEO thinks its upto companies to determine where they can buy products from,and he said that too!

Soldato
I am not sure how damaged gog is from the exclusives, probably not from the AAA games as most AAA games arent on gog due to the lack of DRM, but maybe if they losing low budget games tho. What caught my attention really is that the news that GOG is now reducing their cut which I am guessing is as a result of Epic's actions in the market.

If you think of a comparison we have the game retailers, who on brand new games have a very low cut, they only manage to survive because of used game sales where they make much bigger profits from.

Soldato
The problem is that more and more exclusives means less and less potential games on their platform.

Also if you are talking about regional pricing,Steam,Origin,etc also do it too. Its apparently how they approach piracy,ie,using sales in richer regions to enable them to cut margins in poorer markets,so they can offer better pricing and make piracy less attractive. It is also how key resellers work too,ie,they use keys bought in those regions and sell them to us.

Epic Games Store does not have regional pricing so it means on forums people have said games in their countries will go up massively in price.

I really don't understand what Epic are trying to do here - allow the games on multiple platforms. If their platform is more cost effective it can be reflected in lower relative game prices to more established platforms like Steam,GOG,etc. Let the consumer make the choice. Apparently the Epic CEO thinks its upto companies to determine where they can buy products from,and he said that too!

Your information is out of date, Epic introduced the start of regional pricing back end of January which they are expanding. In fact I recall EGS supports regional pricing in areas which Steam has traditionally not (Africa/Carribean etc.). Metro Exodus was as cheap as $20 iirc

Edit:

Found the resetera thread

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ep...al-pricing-for-more-than-230-countries.96719/

Metro was as cheap as $17 in fact. It's obviously not finished and still expanding but stating that EGS does not have regional pricing is pure misinformation.

Soldato
The Witness is free now. Next up from April 18 is Transistor (the second game made by the people who did Bastion).

Great game and for free can't really complain - sad its using a god awful launcher, one of the worst game launchers I've used, but I do use epic games store for freebies - and this was a great game when I played it on PS4, the final puzzle towards the end will certainly tax the old brain..!!

Shame epic store doesn't have achievements, as this is one game where earning them adds to the whole experience.

Man of Honour
Stoke the anti Epic fire a little...

Rumour - Red Dead Redemption 2 to be revealed as an Epic Games Store Exclusive on PC :eek:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/so...aled_as_an_epic_games_store_exclusive_on_pc/1

I long thought it might do, wonder if any "I'm not touching Epic" people will sway in order to have Red Dead 2 on PC.

I also wouldnt be surprised if Cyberpunk comes out on Epic, despite whats been said. Which is another title that might make some of the anti-epic folks wobble.

Back
Top Bottom