Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
Achievements are lame (both generally and in relation to the topic at hand).

I'd say it depends on the game/developer...

Achievements that are all "kill 500 enemies", "finish level 2" or whatever, are lame - they are just uninspiring things that will either happen regardless, or irritating grind for no reason at all... What's the point of "achieving" something that everyone who plays the game will (or can) easily do?

But ones from the Half Life series say, like the Gnome one (carry Gnome statue through the game) or one where you complete the whole game without firing any bullets etc. or sometimes achievements for beating the game on a particularly brutal max difficulty mode are often legitimately fun extensions to the game (if you enjoyed it enough to play it again). One could argue that they don't really need to be represented as badges in the launcher (they could just appear in the game itself) but I can definitely think of a few games where the achievements provided something

Man of Honour
The only achievements I would be interested in are achievements which give me something ingame, like unlocks a certain cosmetic or unlocks a particular item/level/boss. For me, any other achievements are pointless. Good for showing people what you've done in a game I guess but I'm playing for my enjoyment not to show something to other people so for me its got to be something of ingame benefit. Sadly not too many offer that sort of achievement.

Soldato
Achievements are lame (both generally and in relation to the topic at hand).

Remember when finishing the game was the only achievement you needed?
Developing and releasing a good game was the achievement for the developers.

Now they seem to think that adding lots of achievements adds something to a game, personally, I don't get it. It adds no value for me at all.

Associate

Now they seem to think that adding lots of achievements adds something to a game, personally, I don't get it. It adds no value for me at all.

Totally agree with you. I feel that storylines and great gameplay are the important things, not what colour my gun is. I don't know why people care what other players think of them.

I deliberately use a completely stock character in MW as I really don't have any desire to join the achievements crowd. Each to their own I suppose.

Associate
The only achievements I would be interested in are achievements which give me something ingame, like unlocks a certain cosmetic or unlocks a particular item/level/boss. For me, any other achievements are pointless. Good for showing people what you've done in a game I guess but I'm playing for my enjoyment not to show something to other people so for me its got to be something of ingame benefit. Sadly not too many offer that sort of achievement.
Why would they let you unlock it when they can now sell it to you:eek:

Soldato
Well critic reviews and cloud saves are already in the client. Modding support is almost complete according to their roadmap (they've posted a screenshot showing it in one game). Achievements are also in progress - if you're waiting for them specifically then just keep claiming the free games and keep an eye on the roadmap every so often and you'll know when you can jump in to enjoy them :)

I just seen the roadmap

"review support if enabled by dev"

I mean wtf is that lol.

Its like no one been allowed to review a movie unless the producer allows it.

But is good achievements are coming soon.

Soldato

It can make you aware of certain ways to play a game, or for finding secrets etc. I love achievements and feel they were a major boon to gaming, they also are clearly popular, so a lot of people do like achievements. However I do get it isnt everyone's thing.

FF7 remake e.g. if was no achievements I think i would have stopped playing when I beat the story, but because of the achievements, I did everything to get the platinum trophy. I ended up enjoying the hard mode run to get the trophy than the first run of the game.

Caporegime
OP
More info for the internetz to be annoyed about.

A Total War Saga: TROY will be released on the Epic Games Store on 13 August 2020 - and will be free to keep if claimed within the first 24 hours of release.

TROY will be an Epic exclusive for one year, and will be available on Steam on 13 August 2021. We know some of you might want more information on this decision so please read our blog about this:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

https://www.totalwar.com/games/troy/troy-faq/

Man of Honour

A Total War Saga: TROY will be released on the Epic Games Store on 13 August 2020 - and will be free to keep if claimed within the first 24 hours of release.

TROY will be an Epic exclusive for one year, and will be available on Steam on 13 August 2021. We know some of you might want more information on this decision so please read our blog about this:

Epic must be throwing away a lot of cash in the short term.

and it’s relatively risk-free for you, too,

Erm, interesting quote. Relatively?

I would add that some of their statement about it ‘testing the waters’ is nonsense surely. Most people will pick it up because it’s free.

Soldato

I read until this part. Before realising its all nonsense.

As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players.

Putting it on Epic "and" Steam would increase reach of players, keep it away from steam does not increase the reach to players, steam is the most popular PC sctore front.

Its a bit like saying weetabix want to increase reach to customers by selling only at the coop, instead of coop, asda, sainsburies, tesco, ocada etc.

It really does feel like Epic, are just trying to damage steam as much as possible they approached a developer who's games are popular on steam. Very shady practice. i am glad "so far" steam havent responded in kind, they should not.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discuss...ime-epic-exclusive-free-to-claim-on-launch/p2

Last edited:
Associate
As developers we truly value our existing fans, but at the same time we want to reach new audiences and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves. As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players.

This is an interesting quote from the blog post and I think it may reveal a little about how Epic sells it's store to publishers. The quote may imply that Epic demonstrates they have a large core base of store customers who don't use Steam or other gaming platforms (is this the Fortnite crowd maybe?), and therefore, by selling it on Epic the publishers are unlocking a brand new set of customers who otherwise wouldn't know the game existed. Of course this introduction to new players doesn't come for free, and therefore an exclusivity deal is asked for in return for a period of time.

Soldato
I'm happy. The only Total War game I don't own is Thrones of Brittania. Didn't think it was worth the asking price. Still haven't bought it, in spite of sales, because there's too much good Warhammer DLC to buy instead.

Had similar feelings about Troy. But if it's free, I will actually give it a go.

Wasn't Brittania a bit of a flop? Could be that this is just Creative Assembly and Sega covering their backs.

Soldato
It really does feel like Epic, are just trying to damage steam as much as possible they approached a developer who's games are popular on steam. Very shady practice. i am glad "so far" steam havent responded in kind, they should not.

Let's not forget Valve built Steam off the back of making it's own games exclusive or launcher tied (and also forcing launcher tie in for disc based copies too) and then later dishing out free copies of said games to attract more users. The only difference is that they were ahead of others and weren't seen to be trying to 'damage' another platform by doing so. Ultimately if Epic want to compete, they need to create reasons for people to move across and try it out. No one will bother just on the back of all the games being 5% cheaper because they take a smaller cut, so they're going to push hard for exclusives and deals to give people a reason to install it. Because virtually everything seems to be sold on Steam these days, any sort of exclusivity clause is going to look like an 'attack on Steam', if Steam wasn't so close to being a monopoly and there were other significant players in the marketplace, it wouldn't be seen as an attack on one particular platform.

Soldato

Cant argue with free but that trailer was terrible especially compared to past total war trailers. I hope the game ends up being good because I was quite hyped about it.

Soldato

Its called "competition" of course Epic wanted to damage steam sales they are a business, nothing shady about it at all. Plenty of companies do the same, Netflix, Sky (Premier League contract) etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom